Group rides - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a version of "The Pace." I ride a relaxed/conservative version of "The Pace." Rick
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pace

Smaug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 PM

I lead a group of riders, 2 GS's, 2Rt's, an S100Oxr, a Ducati, FJ09, and others.
I have the smallest cc bike.
9 of us are headed up to N. Ga. tomorrow to ride around in the mountains for about 4 days.
A good bunch of older guys who all ride well together.
Bumpa likes this.

2016 CB500F
2012 Kymco Downtown 300i
2015 BMW F800GT
2016 Honda PCX 150 (wife's scooter)
Riding since 1967

Live to ride, or
Live to pose.
Your odometer shows!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM

While in Ohio I was a member of a BMW group that went out nearly every Sunday. Nice peaceful rides and a good but safe pace for my '78 R100/7.

When I moved down to SC about 4 years ago, I looked up a BMW group, went on ride with them. Started out on the mountain up-down roads, twisty, tight turns, etc. just like the Dragon. They rode as fast as they could from corner to corner and brake hard and then race again. I could't keep up on my old bike. It was the worst ride I ever went on. Never again.

Ironically, a few weeks later a guy from that group (he wasn't on the ride that I went on) was killed because he ran off the road and hit a tree. Later that summer another from that group was also killed - doing the same thing - but this time it was a guard rail.

About a month ago, one of the persons that had gone the trip I was on, was trying to keep up on one of those rides, tried to pass a car or group of cars, with a couple of the other riders, and was hit by an oncoming car. Lost his leg from knee down. He was pretty lucky. No more riding for him!

Lesson? You decide for yourself!
Smaug likes this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Garage
I get the impression there is a mix of two things going on here.
1) What this guy is really saying is they get out on the highway and ride as fast as their machines will go, if that's the case then a 500 won't keep up.
2) Like a lot of people he seems to think that you have to have a liter bike if you want to go faster then a brisk walking pace.

In either case you're better off avoiding them because they're either dangerously fast and reckless or ignorant, untrained and, again, dangerous.
icarusian likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
Signed up for a group on meet up. The leader of the group thinks my bike is too small for his group. He e mailed me back and said they do 80 mph sustained at times, he stated a 500 would have trouble staying with our liter bikes. My lil bikes heart is broken, poor lil thing.
Those are the same posers who show up at track days, blast past everyone on the straights, then park it in a corner. Then they get black flagged because theyíre leading a parade.

Then they never show up again because their liter bike ate the chain and rear tire and they donít have enough money to replace them.

ď
If at first you donít succeed, donít become a Paratrooper.Ē
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
If they are doing 80 for long times as a group they are going to have issues with the police or he is BSing!!
Randomly started thinking about this at the weekend.

In the U.K. the highest legal speed limit is 70 mph, but there is a guideline that the police will only enforce speeding at 10% + 2mph over the limit. So in effect making it 78 mph.

It is only a guideline though and not something you can rely on. And many, probably the majority, of motorway users treat the limit on those as 80 mph. Though many still go much faster.

But it means it is pretty easy to cruise at 80 for prolonged periods with a low risk of getting in trouble here with the law.

It just made me wonder if other countries have a similar policies or whether they all enforce to the literal limit?

Although in the U.K. our limits only go up in 10mph increments. Which is a big difference, and the limit will always be set to the safer lower speed, so maybe the police allow the extra for that reason?

10 km is only roughly 6 miles and the U.S. uses 5 mph increment so everywhere else already has more granularity that they can be more exact with their limits.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Garage
Varies by U.S. state. Iíve heard of people getting a ticket for 67 in a 65 in Virginia. CT and MA can charge people with reckless driving for speeds over 80. Commuter traffic around Detroit, if you wanted to go 80 youíd have to stick to the right hand lane.

Itís about revenue, not safety.

ď
If at first you donít succeed, donít become a Paratrooper.Ē
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 PM

It really depends on the Agency and officer. 15 over is normally my limit, as long as the violator is cool with me. Iím of the mindset that the job is really to keep people safe. That said, I know people that will throw a ticket out for 10 over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:33 AM

Garage
Group rides

When I was a cop in NZ we were encouraged to issue tickets 11km+ over the speed limit. Back then (10 years ago) the fine was only $80 and a few points so I didnít feel bad issuing out tickets. In Australia parking tickets are more than that and speeding tickets are huge. Not sure what but at least $200+.

I once issued a guy in NZ tickets for 5 offences totalling about $1900. That nearly went to a fight on the street! But, he was a criminal, bad attitude, driving like a nut, and wouldnít be able to pay the fine, and then lose his licence, drive again, and go to jail for driving suspended. Which was the objective in that.

Most cops go by the attitude test. If youíre cool with no criminal history and there wasnít any danger, then youíll likely get a warning. If you are otherwise, then expect a ticket.

There are some cops who are traffic nazis. I knew a few and they were decent people, but traffic was their passion and would issue tickets to anyone for anything, even other cops they knew. And before anyone gets excited, I knew many cops who got issued traffic tickets off duty. They donít get treated much differently than the public, but generally they know about the attitude test and obviously donít have criminal history which is probably why some cops get warnings instead of tickets, much like everyone else in the same circumstances.

I issued an off duty cop a ticket after he crashed on the motorway following too close to another vehicle in hail. He phoned my boss to complain! For his effort my boss reminded him about driving to the conditions and not following too close.

If you donít draw attention to yourself, drive safely and within the speed limit and your vehicle is road worthy then youíre not going to get stopped and risk a ticket. Thatís my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plasma1, Sundude901 and Smaug like this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust

Last edited by hillscbr; 05-09-2018 at 02:39 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillscbr View Post
When I was a cop in NZ we were encouraged to issue tickets 11km+ over the speed limit. Back then (10 years ago) the fine was only $80 and a few points so I didnít feel bad issuing out tickets. In Australia parking tickets are more than that and speeding tickets are huge. Not sure what but at least $200+.

I once issued a guy in NZ tickets for 5 offences totalling about $1900. That nearly went to a fight on the street! But, he was a criminal, bad attitude, driving like a nut, and wouldnít be able to pay the fine, and then lose his licence, drive again, and go to jail for driving suspended. Which was the objective in that.

Most cops go by the attitude test. If youíre cool with no criminal history and there wasnít any danger, then youíll likely get a warning. If you are otherwise, then expect a ticket.

There are some cops who are traffic nazis. I knew a few and they were decent people, but traffic was their passion and would issue tickets to anyone for anything, even other cops they knew. And before anyone gets excited, I knew many cops who got issued traffic tickets off duty. They donít get treated much differently than the public, but generally they know about the attitude test and obviously donít have criminal history which is probably why some cops get warnings instead of tickets, much like everyone else in the same circumstances.

I issued an off duty cop a ticket after he crashed on the motorway following too close to another vehicle in hail. He phoned my boss to complain! For his effort my boss reminded him about driving to the conditions and not following too close.

If you donít draw attention to yourself, drive safely and within the speed limit and your vehicle is road worthy then youíre not going to get stopped and risk a ticket. Thatís my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good post 10/10

Plasma1
hillscbr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page