Valve adjustments - Page 5 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZY View Post
My CBR500R at close to 60 000 Km had a perfect valve check and even the spark plugs were in great shape.Replaced plug's anyway's.They said they don't see many 500's out of spec.Oh and they charged 195 tax incl.
That's what, about $150 US? That may seem high to some that are capable an knowledgeable enough to do it themselves. But straddled with the lack of knowledge, proper tools, and working dexterity.. Some of us would be happy to pay that occasionally. I can do a lot of preventive maintenance on my bike, from oil changes, to spooning on tires. Although, after the last 3 sets I changed, I swore each would be my last. Grunting and moaning I can still do pretty well. Not so much with the mechanics of working hands that require any degree of finesse. Then there's the problem of my current mental state.. Yep, $150 sounds pretty reasonable to me.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 PM

My daughter checked with a-non dealer mechanic in San Francisco and he said $300 for basic check and more if adjustment is needed. Sure, that's San Francisco, but it's also not what a dealer would charge.

On the R model, this is a very fiddley job. Besides the gas thank and fairings to remove, there are two layers of covers over the valve cover, one of which contains the pair valve, ignition coils, ECU, blinker control and the main wiring harness. The throttle cables have to be disconnected at the throttle bodies. This is all done in very tight quarters and none of it is easy or straight forward. The shop manual is almost a must-have.
airhead83 likes this.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
On the R model, this is a very fiddley job. Besides the gas thank and fairings to remove, there are two layers of covers over the valve cover, one of which contains the pair valve, ignition coils, ECU, blinker control and the main wiring harness. The throttle cables have to be disconnected at the throttle bodies. This is all done in very tight quarters and none of it is easy or straight forward. The shop manual is almost a must-have.
I guess in the F model (which I have) it should be as involved as in the R model, with the exception of not having the external fairing to remove.

Based on the experience amassed in this thread, I think I will skip the as-per-the-manual valve check and spark plug replacement at 24.000 km, as I do mostly very tame riding (commuting to work and some weekend rides mostly for tourism and sightseeing). Unless I feel something out of whack in the bike, I will try to push the first time for both those operations to the 48.000 km mark.
airhead83 likes this.

--
In the long run, all fuel is exhausted.

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlopo View Post
I guess in the F model (which I have) it should be as involved as in the R model, with the exception of not having the external fairing to remove.

Based on the experience amassed in this thread, I think I will skip the as-per-the-manual valve check and spark plug replacement at 24.000 km, as I do mostly very tame riding (commuting to work and some weekend rides mostly for tourism and sightseeing). Unless I feel something out of whack in the bike, I will try to push the first time for both those operations to the 48.000 km mark.
Sometimes, the best course of action.. is no action. Who knows? You may find the new 2020 models so appealing, a trade in is in order.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!... Anon
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 PM

My mechanic told me to skip it at 16,000 and 20,000 miles as none of the models (x,r,f) had any issues that he saw when he checked. I plan on upgrading next year anyway so it’s wasted money at this point for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
That would send the tank up into your head and then probably blow your balls off, if you have those.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Location: I live in Hamilton Hill a suburb of Fremantle, the port for Perth Western Australia.
Only check I have done was at 42000kms and they were good. I probably won’t be checking them again. Also my plugs were fine, gap a little bit large but condition fine. Changed them to iridium anyway.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old Today, 01:59 AM

@Burridge: which iridium plugs gave you used?
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old Today, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
Bucket and shim valves never need adjustment. They self correct and it is physically impossable for them to remain out if spec, and when out of spec, only by tiny margins will drift back.

Now you nut burger know it alls can break out the flame throwers.
Nonsense!!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page