Valve adjustments - Page 4 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Just saw this post, couldn't believe the BS in the first few posts. Bucket and shim systems can and do go out of spec, but it usually takes longer than a tappet and locknut system. It is very easy to check the clearances so why wouldn't you? Admittedly changing the shims can be a lot more difficult depending if the shim sits on top or under the bucket, but when it needs to be adjusted it should be!! (this keeps everything running correctly!!). As the valve gear on the 500 is quite light and the engine doesn't rev that high, the shims probably don't need changing very often (assuming you run good engine oil) but you should check the valves regularly as it might allow you to catch early signs of a valve burning out or failing before it does any real damage to the engine!! For all you newbees out there, DO CHECK YOUR VALVE CLEARANCES REGULARLY!!

Gary

Bumpa, PiedmontBuckeye and Smaug like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:52 AM

Thrasher,

"Just saw this post, couldn't believe the BS in the first few posts. Bucket and shim systems can and do go out of spec"

WOW!!! You may be tarred and feathered for such "anti-establishment" comments!! Watch your back!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM

Good Post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasherg View Post
Admittedly changing the shims can be a lot more difficult depending if the shim sits on top or under the bucket, Gary
Gary, I haven't done it yet, but I've read here that this engine is designed such that the camshafts don't have to come out to get access to the shims.

-Jeremy
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 AM

get yourself a CRF450!! I have 3 and the shims get changed about every 100 hours due to valve clearances changing (Its far worse with the stock Honda valves, but even after market valves like Kibblewhite still go out and the shims need changing!!). As I stated the CBR500 is a relatively low reving, low stress engine so the valve adjustments should be very infrequent, but that should NOT prevent you from checking them on a regular basis, you just shouldn't need to do anything afterwards as hopefully the gap does NOT change..

Gary
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
Owned a couple crf 450's, nothing but valve issues on those bikes. Dirt bikes are a different animal. My statement would not apply to those. You better check those often. And buy a shim kit...lol.

A cb500, check according to oem, but it's not as critical as some folks make it out to be. The chance of moving or replacing shims relatively rare. If they get to the edge, they will move back the other way probably from wear. That's been my ecperience.

Welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smaug likes this.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers
Phone mount with USB charger
MPR4 tyres
Custom registration plate
GPR Furore Nero exhaust
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Well im almost at 60 000 Km's and booked my valve check and new spark plug's for Wednesday aug 7th so I will let you all know how it goes.Bike still run's great with no drop in performance or unusual sounds.
Leisure Time Larry likes this.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM

My CBR500R at close to 60 000 Km had a perfect valve check and even the spark plugs were in great shape.Replaced plug's anyway's.They said they don't see many 500's out of spec.Oh and they charged 195 tax incl.
Dutch500 likes this.

1975 Honda Z50
1979 Honda XR80
1980 Kawasaki KX80
1987 Kaw KX125
1991 Honda CR250
1975 Kaw KH 250
1976 Kaw KH 500
2013 Honda CBR 500R

Last edited by GRIZZY; 08-07-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:15 PM

I just did a valve adjustment check at 50,000 miles and all were within spec. This was the third check, and they are such a PITA on the R model that I don't think I am going to do another until at least 20K more miles. These valve systems seem to be very stable. I really haven't noticed any change except maybe a slight loosening of a couple of exhaust valves that were on the tight end of the tolerance, so that's good. By "slight loosening" I mean how easy it was to slide the feeler gauge in.....not even a measurable difference.
GRIZZY and Plasma1 like this.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:34 AM

I've not had first hand experience doing these valves, but from what everyone says, they stay really consistent for thousands of miles.

In the old Honda days, I adjusted my own valves approx. every 2,000 miles. Back then it was a piece of cake. 4 valve covers, small wrenches and feeler gages.

It is better that they loosen over time rather than get tighter.

Honda seems to have hit a home run here with these engines.
GRIZZY and Plasma1 like this.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page