Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Inexpensive mods; loud pipes save lives

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Wolvie 
#1 ·
Hey all, recently bought my 2013 cbr500r. Very happy with my purchase so far, however, I find it very hard to hear my bike over the wind noise I get off of my helmet. I wear a shoei rf1100 (given to me with my purchase, though a little tight) and the wind noise is crazy. I tried ear plugs which help just a little, however I'd be willing to look into some upgrades (inexpensive plz) once I replace my helmet that would help performance cuz, well why not, as well as help increase decibel levels without being crazy. I had my fiance follow me on the freeway and she said she could only kinda hear me when I was 15 feet in front or behind her vehicle.

Any sound advice would be graciously accepted. First bike, love it a ton already, just want good audible improvement for now.

#2 ·
GPR Furure exhaust. Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Bit of a can of worms, if you forgive the pun.

There are two schools of thought on this, and the only thing I can promise you is that you’ll get no agreement.

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that loud pipes don’t save lives, they just p*** people off. Folks won’t hear you coming, they’ll hear you pass, and that’s not the same thing. What saves lives is paying attention, and the only person you can influence in that regard is yourself. As you’ve found, noise is tiring (and harmful to your hearing), and a loud pipe will increase your fatigue levels and may stop you hearing something approaching. Personally, I’d advise you to consider better ear protection; something custom fitted, and a helmet with good reviews for wind noise. Spend your money on those rather than a loud can, and put your physical efforts into improving your observation skills and roadcraft.

Other opinions are, I’m sure, going to be voiced very soon. ?

#5 ·
Removing the windscreen reduces wind noise and buffeting. Just saying........

Attachments

#7 ·
To each his own. Do what you want to your bike and enjoy it.
I agree that loud pipes likely play no role in saving lives but preferred more noise than the factory can offered. With the stock can on mine it sounded like an ATV. Reminded me of the old days running Honda 110’s and 200X’s thru the swamps. Not the sound I wanted for my street bike.

#8 ·
LOL. You guys would hate my Akrapovic-equipped Tuono...

re loud pipes: I don't go out of my way to wake people in sleepy neighborhoods or disturb school zones... While I can see both sides of the argument, I'll offer that there are situations where people will hear you coming and that's when you're coming up beside them on the highway or on multi-lane roads. Due diligence by the rider and situational awareness can do a great deal to protect the rider but let's face it, we need all the help we can get.

Humans have just five senses to know what's going on around them. In traffic we're reduced to just two if we're lucky (sight and sound). Take away sound by riding something making the SPL of a sewing machine and there's just one sense left. And what percentage of that is available and being used with distractions like cell phones and navi and entertainment systems and screaming kids and whatnot? A fraction of a single sense might be good enough for you but please don't assume it's good enough for everyone. I want people to know I'm there when they're daydreaming, or texting, or looking at their drooling kids or stuffing their faces with giant, sloppy cheeseburgers or simply running on muscle-memory as we are all apt to do now and again. I'll take care of the rest, but give me that at least.

OP, get some decent earplugs and run the exhaust you want to get the sound you want. On top of the extra level of opposition-awareness I believe you can get, let's not forget that motorcycles are more about individuality than being confined to doing what an unelected suit in Brussels or herd-minded PC snowflakes say you can do. Just don't be a dick about it :)

#11 ·
Loud pipes don't save lives, but they do sound nice depending on who is listening to it. With that being said, I changed my exhaust before I rode it for the first time and it had 1.2 miles on the clock. I wear hearing protection and don't annoy people for the fun of it, but I do like riding on the Autobahn even though I can hardly hear my exhaust [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#12 ·
@GlenAnderson has it right. Plenty of bikes with loud pipes lying on their side with rider awaiting EMS. Something to think about, people.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: motohonace
#13 ·
Good example of loud pipes not helping: Today on I95 I saw a guy on a bike zigging in and out cutting thru traffic, didn’t hear a thing from inside my car until he was right on me and then loud as **** as he passed and moved ahead. Didn’t get a good look at it but it was a Harley-esque bike with obnoxious open pipes. Don’t get me wrong, I personally prefer some noise, (Ixil header and Danmoto slip-on w/baffle on mine), but don’t expect it to help me avoid the idiots in any way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.