Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

First Oil Change

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  chzeckmate 
#1 ·
Just about to my first oil change on a 2017 CB500F. Do I need to get a new drain plug washer? When I would change the oil on a car I would need to replace the washer since it was a crush washer.

Also I am about to order a K&N oil filter (KN-204). It seems like this is the correct one as it's what works for the CB500F 2016 and earlier. It's not looking like they have updated their database to include newer than 2016.

#2 ·
K&N 204 is what I use. A lot of people use other brand filters and they seem satisfied. I've done more than a dozen oil changes and I haven't replaced the washer.
In a side note, if you're going to do your own oil changes and other maintenance, you will want to make good records to keep your warranty in tact. There are apps for your smartphone that are good. Hand written notation is fine too. A lot of people already know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
FWIW, I never change the washer on anything (auto included). I do like to clean all surfaces and use a very, very thin amount of RTV on both sides of washer. Never had a leak. I just snug up the drain plug w/o overdoing it.

#11 ·
I like snap-on. They make good stuff. I don't put a torque wrench on the drain plug, though. I use a stubby for better "feel".
...Nothing wrong with changing the washer, I just don't.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.