Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Damaged tire. Do I need to fix or does everything look okay?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  steveinsandiego 
#1 ·
Stepping off my bike today, I noticed a piece of metal sticking out of my rear tire. On further inspection I found one-half of a razor blade wedged into my tire. I'm not certain if it was vandalism or truly back luck, but it was very scary.
I removed the blade, did a visual inspection of the tire and checked the pressure (seemingly okay at 40 PSI). I'm not sure how long the metal was stuck in the tire so I'm not sure if there's a leak or not. I filled up my tire to 42 today and plan on keeping an eye on it over the next couple of days. So, to my question:
Does this look dangerous? Is this the sort of damage that warrants replacing a tire or if it's not leaking can I assume no long-term damage? If so, are there any fixes I can apply to try to seal up the break in the tire.
Advice much appreciated. I don't want to die because of a stupid mistake and I'm more than happy to replace the tire. I just don't know if I'm being cautious or paranoid. It's my first bike! Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Anything on the sidewall is an instant replacement, you are allowed up to 3 patches on a tyre before you need a replacement aswell. If it was me, I'd take the opportunity to get a decent pair of tyres like DR2's or DR3's. A slash would instantly make me thing of getting a new tyre just to be sure. You don't know how deep it is and it could split, which could be dangerous if not deadly at highway speeds.
Especially where it is in the tread tap, I wouldn't risk it.

I'd recommend getting it replaced, but that's just me. Hope that helps.
Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
... I'd take the opportunity to get a decent pair of tyres like DR2's or DR3's....
Agree! If life serves you a lemon, make lemonade! :)

Replacing the stock tires with a set of quality rubber will transform your bike.

I really enjoyed the Diablo Rosso II I had on mine.

#4 ·
Ditto. Sorry for your luck. Slashed sidewall means replacement for me too.

#5 ·
if that is the OE tire (DUNLOP D222), the aftermarket replacement is the DUNLOP Road Smart II which has the identical tread pattern of the OE tire. size is 160/60r17. i had my rear OE tire replaced first around 8500 miles and my front OE tire was replaced around 10500 miles, so i rode with D222 front and Road Smart II rear for a few thousand miles with no problems before i had the front OE tire replaced with a Road Smart II.

#7 ·
Being cautious is what will keep you alive. Replace the tyre. I have MP Road 4s. Love them.

#8 ·
Replace that tire for sure.Good time to try out a different brand as well.Im running perelli angel gt's now and when they need to be replaced i will give either bridgestone battleaxe a try or michelin pr's a go.I can say i like the perelli angel gt's better then the stock dunlops.

#12 ·
See if you can sell it to McRider!

#13 ·
If the slice is deep enough that there are cords visible, then I'd replace it without hesitation. If not, and I was still young, poor and immortal I'd fill it with puncture repair glue, tape it shut, then run it out. These days though, I'd just replace it and save myself the worry.

If you're changing the pair, and the front still has life in it, and you've the room to store it, then consider keeping it against a similar future emergency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.