Shall I only change tires in a SET? (aka no brand mixing) - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Shall I only change tires in a SET? (aka no brand mixing)

My 2015 CBR 500 R is approx. 7000 miles (~ 11000 KMs) now. It came with Dunlop D222 (aka Roadsmart II). The rear is almost squared off now. The centre line is most weared-off while the side walls are still in great shape. That must tell you that I have a lot of straight line rides than leans. The Front tire in other hand is still in great shape.

Based on my riding, which is 100 % city and canyon carving but 0 track days - I am leaning toward Pirelli Angel GT for the better mileage.

Now the question is - should I change both front and rear to Angel GT at same time or should I leave the OEM Dunlop 222 in the front alone and only change the Rear, means I will have two different brand tires (with slightly different behaviours) at same time. Based on current front wear, I am sure it would last another 7000 miles (~ 11000 KMs). The other option could be to change Rear with same Dunlop Roadsmart II and in future when Front is ready, swap both of them to something else in a SET. But of course I want to try new rubber now.

What the group recommends? Any experience that could be shared? Are there any pros and cons (except cost)?

2015 CBR500RA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:54 PM

I've been reading on other forums & they say as long as the front tire still looks good it's ok to replace only the rear tire "BUT" Do Not Mix Tire Types/Brands. They say they change two rear tires to every one front tire. SO either put same tire on Rear or Change both to your new choice of tires & then go from there with your next rear only change.( Safe Riding to You) Enjoy!🏍
sashsania likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 PM

I've owned 8 bikes in my lifetime and always changed both tires at the same time with the same brand and model tires.

Just how I roll.

Cheers,

Snade
sashsania likes this.

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

car - - - > 2015 BMW 335i

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Garage
I got a large cut (didn't go flat) in my rear tire with about 1100 on the bike (stock tires). At the time I asked the same question here and got the response of it doesn't matter. So I had a Metzger rear put on (I don't recall the model, it's what they had in stock). Thousands of miles later I can say from my experience that I haven't noticed a difference between the old and new, nor between the front and rear.
sashsania likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 02:49 PM

With only 3000 miles on my 500F when it's time to change the rear tire I'm going to change both front & rear at the same time to most likely Road pilot 4's .
sashsania likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Garage
I've only ever replaced tires in pairs. You might say I'm...

*sunglasses*

Pairanoid.
Karl Hungus and sashsania like this.

2016 CB500FA - "Lacy"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 PM

Garage
i replaced the rear D222 with a ROADSMART 2 @ 8500 miles, then replaced the front D222 with a ROADSMART 2 @ 10,000 miles. I am coming up on 20,000 miles now and will be swapping both for ANGEL GT's in the next month as i am about to hit treadwear indicators on both front and rear. i average around 1000 miles per month and the last 10,000 miles on the bike have been about 50% canyon carving and 50% running around doing errands so YMMV.
sashsania likes this.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

Last edited by ooreelaxoo; 10-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone. I will Swap the rear with Roadsmart II then and when time to change both, will move to PR4 or Angel GT or whatever best at that time.

On separate note, I have same problem for my 15 1000 RR. They came with Dunlop Qualifiers II. The problem is Dunlop stopped making them long ago and I can't find any place selling them so I am stuck with changing both front & rear on that machine.

2015 CBR500RA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 PM
eds

Roadsmart 3 is the new direct replacement for Roadsmart II. Being a replacement, it has more or less the same profile and characteristics. Apparently, the 3 is a much better tyre.

Angel GT and PR4 have more or less the same sports touring profile. So, it is not a problem.

I'm on the same boat, 18,000km. I'm not a fan of the oem D222 (Roadsmart II), particularly in the wet, no feel at all. Angel GT or PR4 will be my next tyre.
sashsania likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@eds We don't have Roadsmart III in North America yet. You guys in Australia (and Europe) are lucky on this matter.

So will you be swapping both front & Rear D222s or only Rear?

What about Bridgestone T30 EVO?

2015 CBR500RA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page