Tire Recommendation - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Tire Recommendation

My rear tire is starting to square off a bit (though there's no abrupt transition from straight line to leaning - yet). There's probably a millimeter left before the wear bar is even with the surface of the tire, so I figure I've got a little time left . . . right?

In any case, what's a good tire that is:

1. not expensive

2. is made more for long wear rather than stickiness (given that I don't ride curves aggressively)

And what's a reasonable fee for having the tire put on?

(My front tire looks fine)

2014 CBR650F in Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 AM

Bridgestone BT 023 tires are excellent and a good bang for the buck. They are sport touring tires. Good grip dry or wet.
I use them on heavier more powerful bikes and get 10,000 miles out of them.

What tires do you have now? The Dunlop d220?
How many miles did you get out of them.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:54 AM

Garage
Personally, I love Michelin Pilot Roads. The stock Dunlops are OK, but they're gone as soon as I get within shouting distance of the wear bars. IIRC, my LBSes charge something like $40 each to mount and balance.

2016 CB500FA - "Lacy"

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 AM

honda already made recommendations.
dunlop d222 or metzeler z8 interect.

with your style of riding you ought to stay with ST tires. there are few tires better than those 2.

dunlop roadsmart 3
pirelli angel gt
michelin pr4
metzeler roadtec s01
bridgstone battlax t30
continental contimotion
avon storm 3d x-m

but not necessarily in that order. we have personal preference and sometimes we have some brand loyalty too.
Thump likes this.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 AM

Garage
I use Pilot Road 4s. 6,500kms so far, no signs of squaring yet.

Pilot Road 2 or 3s do just as well.

Mod list: Coming!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
My rear tire is starting to square off a bit (though there's no abrupt transition from straight line to leaning - yet). There's probably a millimeter left before the wear bar is even with the surface of the tire, so I figure I've got a little time left . . . right?
I don't recommend judging a tire by the profile only. I just got a new tire which looked great, lots of profile, but I noticed that it was made in 2012. Tires still have about 5% of natural rubber in them and they dry out. If you can see cracks in the side wall you should have changed it already!
I'm not saying that your tire is old, it probably is not because your bike isn't that old, but thinking that since there is a millimeter left it's okay to ride may turn out to be a mistake.
I've also learned - the hard way - that an almost bald tire picks up nails more often than a new one.

Edit: I stick with Pirelli Diablo Rosso - pun intended!

Edit again: why are you looking for "not expensive" tires? Tires are what connects you to the road and can change the entire riding experience. My CRF250M was okay to ride with the stock IRC, was more fun with Michelin Pilot Radials which lasted forever, but the real fun started after I spooned on the Pirellis.
Before I spend money on adjustable levers, better fork internals, slip-ons or even bling I try to get the best tires I can get for the lowest price.
blackburn likes this.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, MSX125, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1

Last edited by Thump; 08-24-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 AM

Garage
i replaced my rear tire around 8500 miles with a DUNLOP ROADSMART 2 160/60r17. it looks identical to the stock D222 but seems to be lasting a little longer... i now have almost 18,000 miles and it looks like i have a few thousand more miles of tread before hitting the treadwear markers.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

Last edited by ooreelaxoo; 08-24-2016 at 04:25 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
I don't recommend judging a tire by the profile only. I just got a new tire which looked great, lots of profile, but I noticed that it was made in 2012. Tires still have about 5% of natural rubber in them and they dry out. If you can see cracks in the side wall you should have changed it already!
I'm not saying that your tire is old, it probably is not because your bike isn't that old, but thinking that since there is a millimeter left it's okay to ride may turn out to be a mistake.
I've also learned - the hard way - that an almost bald tire picks up nails more often than a new one.

Cracks in the sidewall are nothing to mess around with, that much I know for sure! Fortunately though the sidewalls still look brand new.

The Diablo looks like a nice tire, and the price seems very reasonable, but I just got done reading a couple reviews, and they say it sticks really well, but that it also wears fast. Has that been your experience with this tire?

2014 CBR650F in Red

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post

pirelli diablo rosso is a premium supersport rubber which is an overkill for the cbr for daily commuting.
but if we have lots of loose change lying around
why not?
(lol - no pun intended!).

CBR500R Tricolor
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Bridgestone BT 023 tires are excellent and a good bang for the buck. They are sport touring tires. Good grip dry or wet.
I use them on heavier more powerful bikes and get 10,000 miles out of them.

What tires do you have now? The Dunlop d220?
How many miles did you get out of them.
I've got the Dunlop Sportmax that came with the bike. Right now, I'm at about 7,200 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
Personally, I love Michelin Pilot Roads. The stock Dunlops are OK, but they're gone as soon as I get within shouting distance of the wear bars. IIRC, my LBSes charge something like $40 each to mount and balance.
What's LBS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
honda already made recommendations.
dunlop d222 or metzeler z8 interect.

with your style of riding you ought to stay with ST tires. there are few tires better than those 2.

If by ST you mean sport touring, then that's what I'm leaning toward. I'm more interested in durability than anything.

2014 CBR650F in Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page