Tire Recommendation - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I understand completely, but I generally take curves very conservatively. The odds of me having my bike go out from under me in a curve are probably pretty slim!
Karl, I see you live in Florida so no worries there .
Maybe the T 30 tires will work for your riding style. I don't know what they cost but the 023's are inexpensive and they will also work for you.

Karl Hungus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Ordered a Bridgestone T30 EVO tire from Cycle Gear today. The price is right and it seems to be well-reviewed.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:32 PM

I'll have to give the T 30 some thought since it's a supposed upgrade from the 023's.

I have to say I'm happy with the Dunlop D222 which came on the bike though I haven't ridden them in every condition yet. They have good grip on the dry.
I did however pick up a nail at just 1100 miles in my back tire over the weekend.
I patched it and went on my way.

I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with the T 30.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Just had the tire put on today. Cycle Gear wanted $25 to put it on, but that's if I brought the wheel in (and it would've been $50 if I hadn't purchased the tire from Cycle Gear). Turns out there's a place here in town that does it ride in/ride out for $25 (plus $2 disposal fee). They had it done in under 30 minutes. I asked, and the labor charge to install new brake pads is $15 per rotor. And I really got the sense that these guys really know what they're doing.

I think this is where I'll go from now on for any routine maintenance I don't want to do myself.
Jamco likes this.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
do the pads yourself... u'll laugh at how simple it is compared to cars... the front is 1 bolt to release the pads and they litterally fall out. the back you need to do the same bolt but additionally have to remove one of the caliper bolts to rotate it a little out of the way to release the pads.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

Last edited by ooreelaxoo; 09-03-2016 at 06:57 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Garage
Any sports touring tyre from the modern era will be good enough. I swear by the first generation Dunlop Roadsmarts. I did about 15k miles on them fitted to my 97 ZX6R. A set lasted 8000 miles on the rear and about 10,000 on the front. Bearing in mind, the ZX6R had 96bhp at the crank, so double what the CBR has.

I did 40,000 miles on my 929 FireBlade exclusively on Dunlop Roadsmarts, before I decided to switch to Dunlop SportsSmarts. 6000-7000 for the rear depending on how many motorway miles you do, and about 8000 for the front. But that bike was whacking out 130bhp at the back wheel, so almost 3x the CBR. Perfect for wet grip. I even rode in the snow on a few occasions with it. It rains all the time in the UK, so you want something that would give you confidence, whilst also being able to warm up quickly.

My R1 has been running Bridgestone S20 Evos. Fantastic warm up time, very good on fast roads. I've had it sliding a few times on track, but we're talking about getting on the gas hard in 2nd gear at 70mph... which I doubt nobody will be doing on their CBRs. I did run the T30s on the R1 for 7000 miles, solely for commuting purposes. Performance was on par with the Roadsmarts (which I felt were better than the BT023, which I felt were comparitvely wooden and hard).

Generally speaking, I wouldn't waste money on sports tyres on the CBR. The profile of sports tyres such as the Bridgestone S20/S21, Pirelli Diablo Rosso/Supercorsa, Micheline Pilot Sport 2CT, Dunlop Sportsmarts et al is more like a V, which permits a stupidly fast turn in, and a lot more contact patch at higher lean angles. Fine if you've got a 190/200 section rear tyre. But the sports touring tyres generally have a more progressive U profile, meaing they're more predictable on turn in.

As an aside, the reason T30s are used at Ron Haslam is that, whilst they are a decent tyre, they're not exactly a track day tyre. Those CBR600s and Fireblades get ragged around track and the last thing they want to do is replace tyres sooner than necessary. My mate's experience of the race school is that of "congratulations, well done, you get a medal, you're now allowed to go up to the next level!" meaning more for Ron and his buddies. You'll learn more about YOUR bike by sticking it on a track day, so you'll have a better understanding of how you gel with your machine.

Besides, I've found the stock suspension on the CBR to be utter wank on the back roads, coupled with the high bars and light feeling front end, it's a bit vague feeling. Stick to sports touring and you'll be fine.
blackburn likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:32 PM

I'm torn between michelin pilot 3 or 4 ...... I do big touring weekends ( 1300klm) or riding twisty mountain roads where I try to make up ground on corners after my mates that pull away on straight sections ( had to replace standard pegs )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page