DIY Proper suspension set up - Page 5 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

1000 Thai Baht!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Sorry for waking up an old thread but there was no point starting a new one.

so If I weigh about 175-180 pounds with all my gear, the rear preload should be set around 5 or 6 I would think? I have no idea what mine is set to but feels like it was set for a heavy guy.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 PM

Garage
So I got CBR500RA 2016 model recently. Factory settings for the motorbike is 3 front 3 rear. I'm around 160lbs with gear on.

Measuring sag with these values showed me that my sag is 20mm front and 35+ back (cant remember exact value now).
According to internet, both front and rear sags should be around 30mm, then I go on from there and adjust if I feel the need for it.
I've turned the rear one notch (to four), and that gave me 31mm rear sag which is OK.
However, on the front I only can turn the bolts to 4.5 notches which gives me around 27-30mm front sag.

Now the question.

Front fork settings don't make much sense to me. I consider myself average weight for EU riders (~155 lbs), and if bikes default setting put me at 20mm sag, why is that? People say the bikes suspension was set up for Asian riders, which are usually not fatasses compared to rest of the world, so logically I should've MORE sag, not LESS than recommended? It feels weird that I have to turn the bolts all the way up to even come close to recommended sag for street riding. What people that weight less than me do in this case?

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black

Last edited by reiser; 04-03-2016 at 08:01 PM.

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiser View Post
So I got CBR500RA 2016 model recently. Factory settings for the motorbike is 3 front 3 rear. I'm around 160lbs with gear on.

Measuring sag with these values showed me that my sag is 20mm front and 35+ back (cant remember exact value now).
According to internet, both front and rear sags should be around 30mm, then I go on from there and adjust if I feel the need for it.
I've turned the rear one notch (to four), and that gave me 31mm rear sag which is OK.
However, on the front I only can turn the bolts to 4.5 notches which gives me around 27-30mm front sag.

Now the question.

Front fork settings don't make much sense to me. I consider myself average weight for EU riders (~155 lbs), and if bikes default setting put me at 20mm sag, why is that? People say the bikes suspension was set up for Asian riders, which are usually not fatasses compared to rest of the world, so logically I should've MORE sag, not LESS than recommended? It feels weird that I have to turn the bolts all the way up to even come close to recommended sag for street riding. What people that weight less than me do in this case?
did you turn the front adjuster in (down) or out (up)?

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myztkl-Kev View Post
Sorry for waking up an old thread but there was no point starting a new one.

so If I weigh about 175-180 pounds with all my gear, the rear preload should be set around 5 or 6 I would think? I have no idea what mine is set to but feels like it was set for a heavy guy.
Sorry that nobody saw your post and responded. Probably too late now, but I'd think you'd be around setting 4. Best to check sag properly, though, as noted at the top of this thread.

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooreelaxoo View Post
did you turn the front adjuster in (down) or out (up)?
I'm currently rocking the front adjuster all the way out (softest). Zip tie method shown this is the correct settings. I need to re-measure front sag anyway, since the forks have broken in, and also wanna see if handling feels better if I turn the adjusters in a bit.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserlazer View Post
I bought k speed caps for front and they gave me an inch of adjustment on the fly. Only 33 USD and they created a big difference. But thinking about some stronger oil in them, any ideas about fork oils?

http://www.k-speed.net/product.detail_973482_th_5134244

this is another common misconception about suspension.... in particular front forks - using a 'thicker' or higher weight fork oil does not make your suspension harder. only slower. the fork oil has to pass through small valves within the fork which control the damping. thicker oil simply takes longer to get through the holes. so although it might feel like its firmer (when bouncing it up and down stationary in the garage) the reality is with the heaver/thicker oil it is slower to react to bumps, and slower to extend back to its original length ready for the next bump because the oil cant get through the holes in the valves quick enough.

the only real way to make the suspension harder, is to change to a firmer spring
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'm currently rocking the front adjuster all the way out (softest). Zip tie method shown this is the correct settings. I need to re-measure front sag anyway, since the forks have broken in, and also wanna see if handling feels better if I turn the adjusters in a bit.

Did you measure the full extended length of the fork with the weight lifted off it? and then with you sat on the bike (off the sidestand, both feet on the pegs, leaning forward to the bars) and fully dressed in all your riding gear and helmet.... ?
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Garage
Yeah.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Now the question.

You have to set the rear measure front adjust front, re measure rear adjust then re check front having to much sag in rear lifts front making front tire light causing wobble at high speed. This is why you keep going back and forth until the whole bike is right try 5 on the rear and recheck adjust front and test ride I believe I read on Honda somewhere the bike is set up for a 150lbs rider on US models.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page