DIY Proper suspension set up - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserlazer View Post
guys, if you organize a group buy for any cbr500 parts of K Speed, can help you out for the purchase and post it.
That's very cool of you. I thought about asking, but it seemed a big favor.
I might be in for it, but I already bought something else. I'm not 100% sure it will work, though, and if it doesn't, I'm in.

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM

First, thanks to bbr for posting this mod. It helped give me a better idea of what to expect when making front suspension changes.

OK, so after I bailed on ordering from K-Speed (and before LL made his very kind offer to buy local and mail to us), I decided to do a tiny bit of digging.
Our forks are conventional 41mm Showa.
A quick search turned up these adjusters from SlingShot Racing (they sell in ebay and amazon):

NEW SHOWA 41MM CONVENTIONAL TELESCOPIC FORK CNC BILLET ALUMINUM PRELOAD ADJUSTER

New Showa 41mm Conventional Telescopic Fork Cnc Billet Aluminum Preload Adjuster New Showa 41mm Conventional Telescopic Fork Cnc Billet Aluminum Preload Adjuster

I just got the adjusters in the mail yesterday and installed them immediately. I took them for a brief ride last night, but only to make sure things were ok. Today I tinkered with the adjustment a little (not a proper sag adjustment, just increased preload to see effects).
I highly recommend getting a set of adjusters (way cheaper from K-Speed; I just needed them asap and wanted a secure mode of purchase; if I'd had time, I'd have bugged LL to get the K-Speeds for me, which is probably what y'all should do ). After adding a good bit of preload, the bike doesn't dive like crazy when I merely let off the throttle, and steering/leaning is much more responsive. This thing rides like it's on rails! Even though I paid quite a bit, it was worth it.
Now, I could have just cut some new spacers, even in various lengths for "adjustability," but I think all the attempts to screw the caps back on against the fork rebound would eventually lead to ruined threads in the fork tubes, so I like this option of just being able to adjust on the fly. One could just cut one set of spacers, but I could also feel the stiffness in my arms a bit more, so on a long trip, I'll want to take the preload back out easily.
Here's a pic of them installed:

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R

Last edited by Natrix; 05-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

ok, well the ebay link got hosed when I edited, but just search there and you'll find it.

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Hey. Thanks for the post, I found it very interesting. Would you know what the standard springs are weighted for? I'm 65kg but I'd prefer not to play with the suspension myself just yet. I can get parts machined but would prefer the shop to do it with after market parts.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Thats cool! One thing that worries me with these things is this: how do you make sure they are even??

Dave
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

How do you make sure what are even? If you are making preload spacers you cut them the same length. Or if using preload adjusters which is much easier you either cound the number of turns on each fork or the number of clicks, Which ever way they work.

TK92 I don't know what the stock spring rate is.
CBR_Dave likes this.

2013 CBR500R
2011 CBR250R Mod
Heavily modded 84 Honda spree
2014 Grom
2005 CR125
2014 Subaru WRX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrmotosports View Post
How do you make sure what are even? If you are making preload spacers you cut them the same length. Or if using preload adjusters which is much easier you either cound the number of turns on each fork or the number of clicks, Which ever way they work.
The adjustable ones - you answered my Q - just wind them both fully up and count the turns / clicks down . Got it :-)

The PVC cut spacers was easy ;-)

Dave
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM

So, bbr, if I'm interpreting correctly, you didn't just cut a 10mm piece and add it, right? You made a whole new spacer?
Regarding the narrower centering piece on the bottom, how did you attach it to the main spacer tube? I assume you need an adhesive that can hold up in the fork oil.
Also, with the extra tube length, getting the cap back on will take a bit more pressure. For an added 10mm, is it a lot more pressure, or just a little? If the latter, any advice for making it easier to get the cap threaded while having to press down against the spring? At 7.5mm extra, it took me a couple tries to get my new adjuster caps on.

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

To add preload which everyone will have to do you add length to the tube. You make a completely new one not add to the existing one. The narrowing piece at the bottom is not needed. My measurements are from where the spacer actually sits on the spring to the where it sits on the cap. I found it kind of odd that they even had it narrow down on the bottom like that. I do suspension daily and have only seen that a handfull of times.
Natrix likes this.

2013 CBR500R
2011 CBR250R Mod
Heavily modded 84 Honda spree
2014 Grom
2005 CR125
2014 Subaru WRX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix View Post

I've had these from slingshot on my ninja. Worth it for ease of adjustability. And looks good.
Natrix likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page