Dunlop D222 vs Michelin Pilot Power 3 vs Dunlop Sportmax Q3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dunlop D222 vs Michelin Pilot Power 3 vs Dunlop Sportmax Q3

Went for a good 300+km ride to test out the new rubber on Saturday as part of a group ride.
Off note, Interesting group rideÖ 8 in total, 5 sports bikes, 2 nakeds, 1 adventure-touring of which was the group leader. The first 100km we were led to a good mountain playground, except we were led the boring heavy vehicle pass to the top, up to a coffee shop were the leader didnít want to stop chatting. Eventually I rallied us to get on the road again, but the leader started heading on a route I know as long, straight country roads that head back towards the City; so a mate and I over took and signalled for the group to pull over. 3 others in the group as well as myself had only just fitted new tyres in the week and wanted to give them a run in some twisty stuff. My absolute favourite section of road wasnít too far away so recommended to the others we head there, none had been on it before so was pretty much a unanimous decision. I donít think the group leader was overly happy with me taking over and continued on his way home, but everyone else was keen to get their lean on. So after a quick fuel stop for big bikes in the group (god I love the fuel efficiency of these 500s) we hit the good road.

So anyway, these Dunlop Sportsmax Q3 tyresÖ Wow! I reckon Iíve found my new favourite rubber! Soooo.muuuuch.GRIP :-D
With braking, the only time the front would lock up was intentionally jamming on that lever quick and hard. Any other brake application though, I couldnít for the life of me get the front locking up; the back would get so light I swear the rear wheel was lifting. Difference in braking distance from a marked line between the original fitted Dunlop D222 versus previously fitted Michelin Pilot Power 3 vs versus these newly fitted Q3ís, showed good results. From 80km/h The PP3s would pull up ~2.5m ahead of the D222, the Q3s though are almost a full 5m shorter. Who needs ABS!

In cornering I just couldnít get the Q3s to brake traction, even at over 50* lean, mid-corner full-throttle power on, you have to be ready to shift your weight in more to keep your line, because itíll just bite in and accelerate hard. In similar situations with the PP3s the rear would often skip a little and on some particularly smooth corners would be enough to get a baby drift happening Ė note, dropping some pressure from the rear PP3 to <38psi alleviated that.

For acceleration, well these bikes donít really have enough power for this test to yield any conclusive result, so will leave at, ďthey all workĒ.
Wet weather traction the D222 still takes the cake for this aspect. The PP3s were commendable too for their grip, specifically they felt better than the D222 when leaned over, but were outdone in braking and acceleration when wet. I canít yet comment on the Q3 wet riding performance as Iím yet to ride with them in those conditions. And though I did traverse a few damp corners in the mountain run, I was being cautious with riding style being new rubber.

On tyre life, my current personal riding habit is about 50% general, 20%highway, 30% canyon carving; Iím aiming towards more track days and thought the Q3 would be a good progression. The D222 saw ~12,000km before the rears got to the indicators. The PP3 netted ~14,000km, I may have changed either of those tyres at different levels of wear, so Iíd take the difference between the two as +/-1000kms. Iím expecting a bit less from the Q3 given they are quite a softer tyre than the other two.

Conclusions
The D222 is a good factory fitted tyre, good for commuting and excels in wet weather.

The PP3 would be suited for someone who still does a bit of commuting but needs that extra bit of grip for the weekend canyoníing.

The Q3 is best for the rider who places superior grip as top priority.

lrppcer, eds, 1998Yankees and 2 others like this.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 AM
Ben

Great write up, thank you
How would you compare the Q3's with the Battlax RS10/S21?

2016 CBR500RA MATTE BLACK

Last edited by Ben; 07-26-2016 at 05:24 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
How would you compare the Q3's with the Battlax RS10/S21?
I can't sorry, this is from my own personal experiences as one set wears out and get another.
I found this 2015 shootout article from motorcycle-usa.com very concise when I was researching which tyres to get next before settling on the Q3s.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 AM

I'm so happy with my Pirelli Diablo Rosso II that I wouldn't consider another tire!

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 AM

Thump, what are they like in the wet though? I went with Pilot Road 4s because the tread pattern looked like it would be optimal for wet weather riding, and I commute every day on the bike so this was important to me. I look at many other tyres, yours included, and the part of the tire on the road in a straight line is practically bald. I can't imagine they offer any wet weather grip at all!

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread de-rail, but I don't get how everyday riders buy tires like this, and don't and up going down in the wet.

2014 CBR500RA (Red)
1988 CBR250R (Black&Yellow) (Sold)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Ben

Not everyone rides in the wet (such as myself).
I want semi slicks for more grip.
Whilst yours is great in the wet, it lacks in the dry.
Therefore, making you more prone to going down in the dry.
Horses for courses.

Last edited by Ben; 07-26-2016 at 08:15 AM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM

Fair point, and I get that some people are track-only or fair-weather riders, but what I'm getting at is that I see other riders on all types of bikes riding to and from the city each day in varied weather on tires which are practically slicks. Going from the stock Dunlops to PR4s was, to me, a noticeable increase in grip in the dry, and a world of difference in the wet. I can only imagine going to, for example, Rosso IIs, would be a hair-raising experience.

2014 CBR500RA (Red)
1988 CBR250R (Black&Yellow) (Sold)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Ben

Yeah that's just over-confidence or suicide lol
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Garage
Great write... feeling like leaving office right now and go for a ride :-)
Test rode Metzeler roadtec z8, last weekend on a BMW R1200RS bike and liked them a lot. They are the other ones officially recommended by Honda for our 500s.

BTW, did not like BMW much, very thrashy vibrating engine.

2015 CBR500RA
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
I can't sorry, this is from my own personal experiences as one set wears out and get another.
That's ok, I don't think they come in our rim size anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
I found this 2015 shootout article from motorcycle-usa.com very concise when I was researching which tyres to get next before settling on the Q3s.
Awesome, thanks again!

Last edited by Ben; 07-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page