Interesting recommendation for fork oil - Page 4 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I was trying to be helpful by sharing my experience with others in this community who also want to improve their bike. The community on this forum is one of the least-developed of all the MC boards I'm on, and I'm just trying to do my part here. I'm sorry if my earlier comments caused confusion.
Same here and I agree 100%.

Maybe I did misinterpret what your message was. It sounded to me like you were told by them that you can mix the two and get a 25 wt viscosity, which is not true.

I've always heard positive things about their AK-20 fork cartridges but aside from that, haven't heard much else. I'd still be interested to hear your thoughts on how the bike feels and handles after you do the upgrade.

I'm in the process of fiddling around with mine, although I don't plan on touching the front end any time soon, I'm more concerned with the rear. There isn't a whole lot of info out there about setup on these bikes, and even less on this forum, so I'm trying to find every bit of info I can get. In the last couple of days all I gathered from messing around with my bike and trying out different things is that it's **** near impossible to raise the rear height on these things. The linkages system is more complicated than it needs to be, and there is barely any space between the frame and swing arm, where the shock goes, so if you want to change the ride height, and therefore the swing arm angle, the shock either hits the frame, or the swing arm. There is only a few mm of clearance. Maybe it's because the GSXR shock I have in there is bigger in diameter than the stock one? Wondering if aftermarket shocks for this bike use a smaller OD spring?

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, I'm sure my comment was confusing. These were my words meant only to articulate how I understood it, and never attributed directly to TD. There has been some clarification in the background, and I can confidently say they never actually said to mix fluids. An easy misinterpretation for those not part of the original conversation with TD. Glad this is settled and behind us now.

I'm looking forward to the install and sharing what I anticipate being a much better performing bike.

Yeah, I don't know about the rear shock. Adjusting preload made a huge difference for mine, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Unless a relatively easy/inexpensive mod comes along, I'm going to wait for my next bike to improve suspension any further. I'm at the point now where it just doesn't make since to continue putting upgrade money into the CBR500r.

2014 CBR500r
2008 Ninja 250r (passed down within the family)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM

I am still trying to figure out how to adjust the preload in the forks. It is interesting that my owners manual and the Honda shop service manual do not tell you how to setup your suspension? The service manual explains how the suspension come apart and goes together, but not how to adjust it.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho167 View Post
I am still trying to figure out how to adjust the preload in the forks. It is interesting that my owners manual and the Honda shop service manual do not tell you how to setup your suspension? The service manual explains how the suspension come apart and goes together, but not how to adjust it.
The front is not adjustable from 2013-2015. You have to buy preload adjusters to replace the fork caps. OR you could just throw shims on top of the spacers, but I'd always go with adjusters if an option. Ebay will be your cheapest bet.

2014 CBR500r
2008 Ninja 250r (passed down within the family)
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

I have a 2016.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM

then it's quite easy, just watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks, I will check this one out. I saw another one on You Tube and I know you can use the kickstand to tilt the bike on to get the forks off the ground into full extension. Instead of getting it totally set up with measuring sag, for now I just want to know which way do I turn the adjustment to make the forks firmer.

My service manual only goes to 2015 as the 2016 was not available now. Clymer and others will take a few years. These Honda manuals do not even show you how to adjust the rear suspension either.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho167 View Post
I have a 2016.
It looks like the '16 does come with adjustable preload. Take a flat head screw driver and turn the silver stud.

I would go all the way out first, and then all the way in and make a note of how many revolutions it can go, so that you know what the full range of adjustability is. Then you can set it wherever you want based on how it feels for you. Best thing to do is to set your sag like in the video posted above.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Garage
I remember for a few years with the Electra Glides HD ran an emulator on only one fork leg, which I thought was odd. First time I've heard of different weights in each fork. INTERESTING CONCEPT.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I'm looking forward to the install and sharing what I anticipate being a much better performing bike.
How did these end up working out for you? Curious as suspension is on my short list and hope to be doing upgrades before the end of summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page