Rear Shock Preload Adjustment - Page 9 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolosal View Post
... I had the preconception that the heavier the load, the softer it needed to be to support the weight (more travel needed)....
no. the preload is adjustable to set the sag so that the shock is in the "sweet spot" of its travel, not near bottoming out nor topping out. preload should not make the suspension firmer or softer... spring rate and damping do that.

Manolosal likes this.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooreelaxoo View Post
no. the preload is adjustable to set the sag so that the shock is in the "sweet spot" of its travel, not near bottoming out nor topping out. preload should not make the suspension firmer or softer... spring rate and damping do that.
the 500s springs are progressive type, front & rear as opposed to linear.
therefore adjusting the preload will actually alter the spring rate accordingly.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
the 500s springs are progressive type, front & rear as opposed to linear.
therefore adjusting the preload will actually alter the spring rate accordingly.
ahhh... did not know the rear was progressive. thank you! i was basing my answer on linear springs.

but in both cases, going back to the misconception of less preload for heavier weight, it is the opposite; you need more preload for heavier weight. to keep the suspension in its optimum operating range, more weight = more preload... up to a point since there is only so much adjustment available... lighter than the adjustment range means you will need softer springs, heavier means you will need stiffer springs (and then you would need to adjust damping to the new spring rate). this is why you need to set preload according to sag. a lower preload with a heavier weight would cause excessive sag and could likely result in bottoming out the suspension on deep travel.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 AM

@blackburn i cannot confirm it right now, as i am not even close to my bike and won't be for a week, but i don't think the 500 has progressive springs ... at least i don't remember seeing anything like that on the bike ...

for those who don't know the difference between linear / straight rate and progressive springs, here is a simple picture:
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:05 AM

I don't know "for a fact" whether the springs are progressive or not, but I'm 70kg and the difference for me between 1 and 5 is the difference between being quite a smooth ride, and like riding on an anvil.

2014 CBR500RA (Red)
1988 CBR250R (Black&Yellow) (Sold)
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 PM

Garage
Hi guys,

I had a minor crash today and ended up damaging the right side of the bike. It just would not obey me and I ended up running out of the turn. Just came out with a sore ego and a couple bruises, but nothing bad, thank God.

An experienced friend of mine gave it a test ride, right after the event and concurred with me that the front suspension is so bad that the bike just would not go where it's supposed to. He rides an FZ09 (which is a beast!) and it is really soft in the turns.

I took it to the shop for a total fairing makeover. I'll take advantage of it being worked on, and I'll tune the whole suspension: rear shock (GSXR-750 mod) and 15wt oil and adjustable end caps for the front forks.

'13 CBR500R with my own custom design!
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolosal View Post
Hi guys,

I had a minor crash today and ended up damaging the right side of the bike. It just would not obey me and I ended up running out of the turn. Just came out with a sore ego and a couple bruises, but nothing bad, thank God.

An experienced friend of mine gave it a test ride, right after the event and concurred with me that the front suspension is so bad that the bike just would not go where it's supposed to. He rides an FZ09 (which is a beast!) and it is really soft in the turns.

I took it to the shop for a total fairing makeover. I'll take advantage of it being worked on, and I'll tune the whole suspension: rear shock (GSXR-750 mod) and 15wt oil and adjustable end caps for the front forks.
The main thing is that you are OK. The bike can be fixed.

CBR 500 13-15 models run a very basic suspension set up made to a price and once you start pushing these bikes, you will find that particularly the front forks are not up to it.

For non ABS bikes, the GSXR 750 rear shock makes such a difference and you could probably get away with fork pre-load adjusters and 15W oil.

But if you plan to keep the bike, go for racetech fork springs together with racetech emulators + 15W oil. This combination together with the right set up (sag and rebound / compression) will give you as close to a super sport handling bike as possible .

Some of us here have that set up and makes the bike a completely different machine to ride. No more pogo or chatter or front end dive.

Best of luck
carbonado and Manolosal like this.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Garage
Thanks man.

Actually, I have my sights zeroed in on the right racetech springs. Let's see how it behaves with the mods so far before throwing more money at it.

On the upside: it's getting a new look!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliodi View Post
The main thing is that you are OK. The bike can be fixed.

CBR 500 13-15 models run a very basic suspension set up made to a price and once you start pushing these bikes, you will find that particularly the front forks are not up to it.

For non ABS bikes, the GSXR 750 rear shock makes such a difference and you could probably get away with fork pre-load adjusters and 15W oil.

But if you plan to keep the bike, go for racetech fork springs together with racetech emulators + 15W oil. This combination together with the right set up (sag and rebound / compression) will give you as close to a super sport handling bike as possible .

Some of us here have that set up and makes the bike a completely different machine to ride. No more pogo or chatter or front end dive.

Best of luck
UPDATE.

Just got my bike back from the shop. Besides the obvious fixes in the fairings, this is the list of things we did to her (him?):

- Rear shock:Suzuki gsxr-750 shock mod.
- Front forks: Changed to 15w oil, preload adapters.
- After market rear sets.
- New Sato frame sliders.
- Xenon headlights.
- New black-red look!.

It is an entirely different bike! The improvements in riding position and handling are amazing. I truly advice to do this mods!

I'll be fitting a Delkevic exhaust and some levers.

Here are some pictures:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20161105-WA0063.jpg (102.4 KB, 5 views)
bambams, iliodi and Pudu71 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page