Rear Shock Preload Adjustment - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonNcigars View Post
Digging up an old thread here since Drift Monkey called me fat...

Is each rear shock on the 500R setup the same from the factory? In full gear I'm 245 lbs, so is my rear shock setup the same as a 150 lb rider's is? And just how much difference will those fork preload adjusters make on the front?

The suspension is one of the things I hate about this bike. The rear sags like a dead rock and the fork dips like a seesaw while braking. If I can fix those two things I may just like it again.
Yes, adjust the rear shock. It will help immensely.

I have front fork adjusters from SlingShot Racing. They are Made in the USA. Not the Chinese crap on FleeBay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM

I am 225 without gear on. First I tried going up to setting four. It didnt sem like enough so I went up to setting five. It seemed just about perfect. Even with a passenger. After a while I wondered if five was too much so I put it back down to four. Not only did I find it too soft on bumps again but I also noticed a very significant increase in front end dive. I put the setting back to five and it feels perfect again with almost no front end dive. Hope this helps.
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 PM

^ Thanks.

post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:58 PM

I should have probably said far less dive than almost none, but the difference in feel between settings really surprised me. The fourth setting really didnt seem much different than factory but the next jump I really noticed. Makes me wonder what the sixth feels like. I like it where it is though so I wont even bother trying. Definitely something people should play around with till they find what suits them.
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Setting 6+ for you BnC!
CBR_Dave and NakdWhtnonABS like this.
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Check the sag guys. Read the threads in which me and BPRMotorsports go over this in GREAT detail. Setting the suspension up properly is the number one best "mod" (LOL) you can do. It will rock your world

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wh...on-set-up.html

and post #9 in this thread:

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wh...ments-cbr.html

Dave

The default rear setting is 3 on all the bikes. Thats probably "about right" for a 155lb jockey like me. Its wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too low a setting you at 245lb. The front is also too soft for even me really, and cant be adjusted...but can be seen to for $200 with new springs and having the pre-load set properly. For you doing this Would.Be.A.Massive.Improvement. I'm prolly gunna get new springs in the front over the summer holidays.

Dave
NakdWhtnonABS likes this.

Last edited by CBR_Dave; 10-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzy23 View Post
I should have probably said far less dive than almost none, but the difference in feel between settings really surprised me. The fourth setting really didnt seem much different than factory but the next jump I really noticed. Makes me wonder what the sixth feels like. I like it where it is though so I wont even bother trying. Definitely something people should play around with till they find what suits them.
You'll never fix it the dive just playing with the rear: the front is too soft as well. You'll have to have a go at the front, otherwise you'll just end up with a very unbalanced bike. See my post above. If you go over 180lb, I doubt you'll be able to get the front right in any case with adjusting pre-load, you'll need new springs.

Dave
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_Dave View Post
You'll never fix it the dive just playing with the rear: the front is too soft as well. You'll have to have a go at the front, otherwise you'll just end up with a very unbalanced bike. See my post above. If you go over 180lb, I doubt you'll be able to get the front right in any case with adjusting pre-load, you'll need new springs.

Dave
Actually I'm over 220lbs and I have gear on the bike. The fork preload adjusters made an AMAZING improvement.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM

The effects of the rear adjustment on the front springs had not ever entered my mind. I was looking for the best setting I could get out of the rear. Setting up the rear spring properly not to sag and bounce under my weight just happened to stop the bike from recoiling onto the front forks. Quite noticeably. Yes, some front adjustment, and probably a diet, would definitely help the situation more. That said, for my riding style, the current setup suits me just fine and I would have a hard time justifying putting money into the front springs. Though I have found lots of ways to drop money into this bike so far.
CBR_Dave likes this.
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_Dave View Post
Check the sag guys. Read the threads in which me and BPRMotorsports go over this in GREAT detail. Setting the suspension up properly is the number one best "mod" (LOL) you can do. It will rock your world

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wh...on-set-up.html

and post #9 in this thread:

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wh...ments-cbr.html

Dave

The default rear setting is 3 on all the bikes. Thats probably "about right" for a 155lb jockey like me. Its wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too low a setting you at 245lb. The front is also too soft for even me really, and cant be adjusted...but can be seen to for $200 with new springs and having the pre-load set properly. For you doing this Would.Be.A.Massive.Improvement. I'm prolly gunna get new springs in the front over the summer holidays.

Dave
Thanks, Dave.

I actually did read through those threads. I guess I just wanted reassurance. Call me needy. It probably goes back to when my mommy wouldn't hold me long enough after she accidentally dropped me all those times.
NakdWhtnonABS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page