Rear Shock Preload Adjustment - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Your suspension does not become stiffer by increasing the preload (it is still the same spring) , but you decrease the negative suspension travel.

CBR_Dave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

by meaning stiff, i was talking about my tooth hitting each other more on bumps.
it is much more planted lets say then.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I cranked mine up quite a bit. Feels a lot better.

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 PM

I had a quick go of adjusting mine one morning (I'm going to crank it to 9 - I'm a big bloke) and I couldn't seem to get purchase on it. Are you guys adjusting it whilst on a rear stand, or just on the kick stand?
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Excuse my ignorance, I havent had adjustable preload shocks before. What difference will I feel by turning up or down a few notches?
By softening the preload will I feel less of the teeth nashing Sydney road bumps and the rear feel a bit more forgiving?
Turning up - feel more of the bumps but the rear feel more planted?
What the g.o for a preload noob?
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to mcote
I just looked at the spanner on hondapartshouse.com. They are charging $16.65 for shipping which is more then the spanner and handle price. I found the same items at partzilla.com with only $6.95 shipping. Does anyone have experience with this them? Does anyone know of another place that has even cheaper shipping?
Bikerkev likes this.
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Ohlins Shock Spanner Wrench : Amazon.com : Automotive Ohlins Shock Spanner Wrench : Amazon.com : Automotive

The standard position is 3
To make it softer, turn towards the right
To make it harder, turn towards the left

It is really really stubborn! So use some muscle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (201.8 KB, 115 views)
Spencmyster and midnite like this.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezwindespoed View Post
Your suspension does not become stiffer by increasing the preload (it is still the same spring) , but you decrease the negative suspension travel.
That's right, you're adjusting the suspension to be more in the middle of its travel range where it is more effective. When you sit on the bike your weight compresses the srping. By adding or removing preload you can then get this "sag" correct. Correct sag is 30-35mm from topped out to when you sit on it.

It will "feel" stiffer as you will either have less "ballooning" (not enough pre load) or less stiff with less harsh bouncing (too much pre load), when corrected.

See the threads where BPR and I describe this is great detail.

Unless you are pretty heavy, messing around with the rear is pointless compared to the front shocks. Many people jack the rear up too much and unbalance the bike because of the soft fronts. Even then, the fronts will need new springs and spacers because of your weight compressing the front springs waaaaayy too much.

Dave
Thump likes this.

Last edited by CBR_Dave; 08-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loserlazer View Post
i have the special spanner in my stock tool set and also you need the extension part of otherwise cannot turn the shock, it is very strong.
I changed mine to setting 5 and it is perfect now. still comfy but stiffer.
I couldn't change mine with the tool, so I got the dealer to adjust it when it went in for a service.

Mine's on 8 'cos I'm big boned.
NakdWhtnonABS likes this.

2013 CB500FA
1982 VF750S (passed forward)
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Digging up an old thread here since Drift Monkey called me fat...

Is each rear shock on the 500R setup the same from the factory? In full gear I'm 245 lbs, so is my rear shock setup the same as a 150 lb rider's is? And just how much difference will those fork preload adjusters make on the front?

The suspension is one of the things I hate about this bike. The rear sags like a dead rock and the fork dips like a seesaw while braking. If I can fix those two things I may just like it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page