Chain Lube - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ooreelaxoo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Chain Lube

This afternoon, I went on a long ride with a friend down A1A here in Florida (he rides a '07 Shadow 1100 Sabre). It was in the mid-70s here and sunny - perfect riding weather. Rode a total of about 200 miles over the course of maybe six hours, far and away the farthest and longest I've ridden in a single day.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, a couple days ago, I cleaned and lubed my chain. I used some spray chain degreaser to clean it, and once that was done, I used Champion Chain Lube Spray. It's white, so I assume it's lithium grease. But today, on the last leg of my trip, I noticed that my chain was squeaking, as though the lube had run dry. As soon as I got home, I applied a nice coat of synthetic motor oil to the chain, then went for a quick spin just to ascertain that this was the problem - sure enough, the squeak was gone.

So to that end, what are everyone's thoughts on using motor oil as a chain lubricant? I'm pretty sure I"m done using the lithium stuff, given how quickly it ran dry. Any particular types or brands of lube that anyone would like to wholeheartedly endorse?

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:47 AM

Garage
i use DUPONT chain degreaser and DUPONT chain saver dry lubricant. i clean/lube my chain every 600 miles and do 200-300 mile rides often but avereage 100 miles per ride. i've never had a "squeaky" chain but had to replace the original stock chain @ around 17,000 miles due to stretch. i also use a TIROX 360 brush to clean / scrub and a GREASE NINJA lubrication aplicator to put the lube on the chain.
Jamco likes this.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

Last edited by ooreelaxoo; 10-26-2016 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 AM

if you check the manual it says :
'use O ring specific chain lube. if it's not available use SAE 80/90 gear oil'.

Champion chain lube spray is actually multi purpose lithium grease. it doesn't even specify motorcycle.

by understanding the manual instructions we can loosely assume that SAE 80/90 gear oil is actually better than any other non o-ring specific chain lubes.

CBR500R

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:45 AM

Garage
I use Motul C2+ chain lube with teflon. However, I'm looking into installing automatic chain oiler this winter. It's definitely a worth investment.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 AM

There are already a number of threads on what people use to lube their chains.

I found the best degreaser is kerosene. Cheap as and once you filter it through a rag can be reused. Kero does not affect the orings.

Chain wax is my lube of choice. one can goes a long way. Does not fling off.

Chain lubed every 500km.

Chain degreased every 1500 - 2000km

My chain has not required adjustment in 8500KM.

It is as simple as that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Garage
WD-40 is a good product to clean the chain with. I lube my chain with chain wax about every 200 miles or so. I often get 30,000 miles out of my chain and 60,000 miles out of my sprockets. I just flip them over at 30,000 miles. This bike is using a light duty 520 chain so I don't think I'll get that typical 30,000 miles on this chain. Probably be more like close to 20,000 miles. I find flipping the sprockets (been doing that for over 10 years) help save cost.

I tend to pile miles on bikes especially since I retired. Ride almost everyday these days. Have family/X military friends living all over the country, so I'm known to jump on one of my bikes and drive half way across the country, just for the **** of it, because I can. LOL.

I go through chains, oil, tires like tic tacs. I buy tires by who ever have the best deal and the best price on the net. Run back tires down to the canvas. Been doing that for years and never have had a blow out or one slip out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:40 PM

DuPont Chain Saver. Many bikes, many years. Teflon is the best. Why use the wax crap that holds on to dirt?

Doc

2013 Honda CB500F
2013 Honda F6B
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S
1998 Suzuki GS500e
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Any particular types or brands of lube that anyone would like to wholeheartedly endorse?
I use kerosin to clean the chain and ChainWax to lube. Attempt to do so every 1000km or so. I hear this is the best combination and many who land on it eventually agree with this. Very budget and effective.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:28 PM

Garage
An alternative (not for the faint of heart) that is messy, but works, is lubing with ATF. I lube every 100-200 miles when just using the bike around town, and twice a day (~every 200 miles) when touring.

But, I have a centerstand, and carry a ziplock bag with a nitril glove and another one with a sock top and a bit of Delcron-type automatic transmission fluid (about $12/gallon for the house brand at WalMart), plus a small bottle of ATF to refill the zip bag with the sock top. The saturated sock top is used to lube the chain.

I also use the ATF to lube the clutch cable (dropping bottle) and replace the fork oil every two years.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 PM

Garage
Motul chain cleaner and Maxima chain wax. You can't go wrong with this combo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page