Brake Pad Replacement - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisbisc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Brake Pad Replacement

So what sort of mileage are some of you getting out of your brake pads, front and rear? I'm closing in on 8,000 miles now, and I'm wondering how soon I'll need to replace the pads. I haven't noticed any odd noises or sensations from my brakes, nor experienced diminished stopping power. And on that note, what warning signs should I be looking for to let me know I'm due for new pads?

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Garage
i replaced my fronts around 8,500 miles and then replaced both front and rear recently around 17,000 miles. it's super easy to do... just unbolt the retaining pin on the caliper and the pads almost fall out by themselves in the front, the rear i needed to unbolt one of the caliper bolts to pivot the caliper to let the pads out. i used OEM pads and changed my brake fluid as well using a MOTION PRO mini brake bleeder.

fronts:

i could have gone maybe another 1000 miles on these.

rears:

these were ready to come out... see the wear indicator channel in the middle of the pad worn flush?

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

Last edited by ooreelaxoo; 10-12-2016 at 12:00 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 02:45 AM

I haven't checked the pads on my CBR but the ones on my CRF are still okay after 30,000 km.

I'll replace them at 36,000 km and change the fluid then, too.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, MSX125, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
So what sort of mileage are some of you getting out of your brake pads, front and rear? I'm closing in on 8,000 miles now, and I'm wondering how soon I'll need to replace the pads. I haven't noticed any odd noises or sensations from my brakes, nor experienced diminished stopping power. And on that note, what warning signs should I be looking for to let me know I'm due for new pads?
If you wait till you hear odd noises you have left it too late and will have worn the pads down to the metal. The odd noise you will hear is the metal backing of the pads scoring the discs. You will then be lucky if you don't need to replace the discs and pads.
The only warning signs are to visually inspect the pads and when the grooves have disappeared you should change pads asap
ooreelaxoo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page