Oil leak from exhaust - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak from exhaust

Today I noticed an oil leak from under the left side (clutch lever side) exhaust pipe of my CB500F. It's a thin film going all the way down. Bike is bone stock.

I saw some oil on the floor of the garage last month but thought it was just overspray from oiling my chain.

I only have 2700 miles on my 2014 CB500F and bought it new in June of 2015. My warranty expired 19 days ago!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Most likely just a valve cover leak, Just re-torque the valve cover. If it persists you will need to replace the valve cover seal. This is why I always say that you need to go over and re-torque things on any bikes. Vibration will always be part of a motorcycle engine and things will get loosened up.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:50 AM

+1 on the cam cover gasket.
I'm not sure about this bike but the cover screws typically have a shoulder which won't allow the bolt to be tightened beyond a certain point, so don't exceed factory torque settings. Remove one of the bolts to see if it has a shoulder. You may need a new gasket (though it should last for many years).

I would contact the dealership about the warrantee. They'll contact Honda and most likely let the 19 days slide.
Don't forget to tell them you are active on Honda forums on the Internet. The manufacturers hate bad press.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Don't forget to tell them you are active on Honda forums on the Internet. The manufacturers hate bad press.

This is terrible advice, and most likely wont be necessary. I've worked in a dealership for many years both as Parts & Accessories Manager and as Service Manager,and I can assure you that dealerships hate this type of approach. It certainly wont endear you to the staff and have them giving you A1 service. they'll just think you're a dick head, and Honda as a whole lets face it one leaking clutch cover gasket will hardly dent their reputation.

" I would contact the dealership about the warranty. They'll contact Honda and most likely let the 19 days slide ""

This advice is the better way to go. Jot down some dates on a piece of paper going back 30 or 40 days to when you first noticed the issue, and a couple of dates when you believe you have checked it since. this is the important thing - the dealer can back date the warranty claim to when it was first noted, and then most likely will repair it at no charge. Honda is very good with their warranty claims, and they care about their product. I'm confident you wont have a problem. and its much better to be friends and have a good rappor with your dealer. popping in their regularly and chatting at the parts counter etc is always a more sure fire way to better service and better deals....
jsonder likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:

I would contact the dealership about the warrantee. They'll contact Honda and most likely let the 19 days slide.
I mentioned the oil leak and the 19 days to my local dealer. They said no recall for an oil leak but they'd be happy to look at it (and take my $) when I bring it up there for 2 other recalls. In other words, the warranty expired so I'm stuck with a Honda with a Harley syndrome.

I got the bike back last week and rode it home. I hadn't touched the bike until today when I noticed a bit of oil on the exhaust header bolt, grime below that on the engine case and more oil near the front rocker shaft plug. I wiped it off and went for a short ride. I will post a pic if more oil appears which I'm sure it will.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 PM

19 days...nice.
Not to sound like a dick head but I would make up some pamphlets describing my problem and put a nice sign on the bike describing your experience and legally park it in front of the dealership in an obvious place and politely tell my story to whoever is interested. Point out that these bikes are not made in Japan.

I have a friend who did this with his pickup truck. Chevy could not fix a clunk noise which originated from his differential under certain conditions. After a couple of attempts they basically told him to pound sand. The truck was over a year old with 24,000 miles.
He did what I described above.
Long story short, after mediation, Chevy had to give him a brand new zero mile pick up truck one year newer.

These CB's are not built to the quality standards that has made Honda famous.
Hope it works out for you.

Also, you could post up on the local Craigslist.

Last edited by blipco; 08-17-2016 at 11:47 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:29 AM

Call Honda headquarters and they will probably grace you own the warranty. The dealerships are too lazy to make the call and request. $$$
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
These CB's are not built to the quality standards that has made Honda famous.

Don't forget that for every rider here on the forum who is talking about their problems there are a thousand riders out there having no problems at all. It's not that the bikes made in Japan never have any problems.
I've bought a new CRF250M in 2013 and it has been holding up great for three years and 31,000 km, even though I was surprised to see that one fork seal went bad - 123 km over 30,000 km! I had to pay for the repair, but maybe it's because I live in Thailand and have problems communicating.
The CBR I bought used with 1,288 km on the clock has had no leaks, rattles or fuel pump issues in the year I had it; it has now 14,000 km on the clock.
I bought a Honda Wave 110 in 2001 and rode it close to 65,000 km in nine years, never a problem! All I did was change oil and replace worn parts.
Honda still produces quality bikes and I prefer a lower price for a bike which may be 5% less reliable than the same bike made in Japan which cost 20% more, depending on where you live.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley650 View Post
I mentioned the oil leak and the 19 days to my local dealer. They said no recall for an oil leak but they'd be happy to look at it (and take my $) when I bring it up there for 2 other recalls. In other words, the warranty expired so I'm stuck with a Honda with a Harley syndrome.

I got the bike back last week and rode it home. I hadn't touched the bike until today when I noticed a bit of oil on the exhaust header bolt, grime below that on the engine case and more oil near the front rocker shaft plug. I wiped it off and went for a short ride. I will post a pic if more oil appears which I'm sure it will.
I would like to see a well lit pic of the area where the oil is leaking from.
Could it possibly be from the head gasket, not the valve cover gasket?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
Don't forget that for every rider here on the forum who is talking about their problems there are a thousand riders out there having no problems at all. It's not that the bikes made in Japan never have any problems.
I've bought a new CRF250M in 2013 and it has been holding up great for three years and 31,000 km, even though I was surprised to see that one fork seal went bad - 123 km over 30,000 km! I had to pay for the repair, but maybe it's because I live in Thailand and have problems communicating.
The CBR I bought used with 1,288 km on the clock has had no leaks, rattles or fuel pump issues in the year I had it; it has now 14,000 km on the clock.
I bought a Honda Wave 110 in 2001 and rode it close to 65,000 km in nine years, never a problem! All I did was change oil and replace worn parts.
Honda still produces quality bikes and I prefer a lower price for a bike which may be 5% less reliable than the same bike made in Japan which cost 20% more, depending on where you live.
My 2009 Versys was made in Japan. Kawasaki shifted production at some point to Thailand, I'm not sure what year.
The Versys 650 is very reliable but any recalls that came out on that bike were the ones made in Thailand.

I was at an open house at a Triumph dealer. (For the barbaque and demo rides) During the day, they took a group out back to show is their repair facility. They had a recently unboxed Bonneville type bike on a work table.
The mechanic was showing us how they put the handle bars on, check the fluids, hook up the battery, etc etc.
So to bust the guys balls I pointed to the chain and said "are you the one who adjusted that? It's as tight as a tightrope".
He said "No, that's how it arrived. This bike was made in Thailand, it should have been properly adjusted at the factory".
I asked him what he thought of the bikes coming from there. All he would say was "I've seen some weird things".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page