Fork seal weeping - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By WoA
  • 1 Post By ooreelaxoo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
WoA

Fork seal weeping

Washing the bike today I noticed a heavy ring of grime around the top of the left fork stanchion. Felt the fork below it and it had an oily sheen to it. The right fork was dry as can be and clean. Mr first thought in my head was crap, a weeping fork seal. So I wiped it off with a rag and a kimwipe so it was clean like its mate. Then I went out for a ride and purposely engaged in some heavy braking to exercise the front end. When I got home and inspected, again the left fork stanchion was oiled. Shot fork seal confirmed. Craaaaaaaaaaaap.

When I bought the bike I opted for the $500 option for the additional 36 month warranty. It was the first year of a model and I was paranoid. Maybe the $500 will pay for itself yet. I figure a rebuilt fork is $250-$300 in parts and labor ($30 for seals, 2.5 hrs @ $95/h labor). I'll contact my dealer Monday to see about getting a fork seal rebuild done under warranty. Maybe I can convince them to give me a spiffy mental rental loaner while it's being worked on.

Anyone care to take bets on if it will be covered under the Honda Protection Plan warranty?

Leetmofo likes this.

New England CB500 Rider
Tri-Color CBR500R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:00 PM

Probably not under warranty, but for your & our sake I hope it is. I too have a extended warranty.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 AM

Garage
saw this a while back, might b something to try:

This tip could save you a fork seal replacement job - RevZilla
Natrix likes this.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
WoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooreelaxoo View Post
saw this a while back, might b something to try:

This tip could save you a fork seal replacement job - RevZilla
Ended up doing this and the seal seems to be reseated. No oil on the fork stanchion. I'll be paranoid and check it every day for a couple weeks, but $9 for 1 can of film* is better than $350+ for a fork seal job.

*Side rant: It is incredibly hard to find camera film now. I'm only 31 and I asked a teenage at a store and he had no clue was I was getting on about. I had to find an old geezer for him to tell me they stopped selling 35mm film last year. This was absolutely confounding because they have a negative development/picture printer machine there!

Had to go to CVS and pay double for a roll of shitty Kodak 400. *old man grumbles get off my lawn!*

New England CB500 Rider
Tri-Color CBR500R
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 PM

Garage
glad it worked out! at least now you can just save that roll of film in your toolbox for if it happens again... just think of it as a cheap tool rather than an expensive roll of film.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Garage
Motion Pro makes a tool for scraping the oil seal.
seal mate | eBay

and a You-Tube video about use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY

ride safely,

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Garage
Fork seals are easily replaced in your garage at home. All parts for both forks is less than $100usd. And the factory repair manual ( $68 usd ) will give you step by step instructions . You tube and film are like putting fix a flat in a leaking tire. Doesnt fix the problem. Only hides it for a while.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 PM

I got my bike with 5000kms with it and I noticed some grunge build up on the left fork not too long after getting it. After washing the bike and paying closer attention it seems my fork seal is weeping too and at one point fork oil was dripping down the side of the fork. I cleaned it up and got a seal mate and tried cleaning it and when i pulled the seal mate out it was just covered in fork oil (all the videos I saw showed it coming out more or less dry). I check the fork after every ride now and there is always a couple beads of oil on the fork or a little line of oil but nothing as bad as it was. I emailed the dealer I bought the bike from for a quote, told them its been doing this ever since I bought the bike from them. I'd expect the fork to need rebuilding after 10000kms (I leave the bike outside all year except in the winter) but not 5000kms (currently has 9000kms). Hopefully they can help me out since it appears they never inspected it before they sold it to me. Bikes been burning a hole in my pocket ever since I got it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page