How many miles did you get from chain and sprockets? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How many miles did you get from chain and sprockets?

My bike is at the dealers for her 16k service (she's got approx 17,500 on the clock)
As well as all the regular stuff I'm putting my second rear tyre change on while its there, and this time they told me my chain and sprocket set ought to be replaced too.
I've been fairly good about keeping it oiled, and I clean the bike (including the chain) about once every fortnight. I have a tutoro auto oiler on there too.
Although I must shamefully admit to not adjusting the chain tension.
I've been putting off learning how to do it because with two small kids, if I **** it up and end up trying to put right a mistake I'll likely be out there all day and my Mrs will kill me, washing the bike takes long enough.
How much wear have you guys got out of your chain and sprocket?
Tyres and brakes too?

Bike:
2014 CBR500R ABS Black
Mods:
Supersports Pack
R&G Mushrooms
Honda Hot Grips
12v Cigarette Lighter
Gear:
Richa Memphis Jacket
Furygan Akira Jacket
RST Jeans
Furygan Veloce Jeans
Furygan Winter Gloves
Alpinestars S-MX 6 Gore-Tex boots
TCX X-Rap casual boots
Oxford Inoflex Hot Vest
Helmet:
Shoei NXR
Shoei XR1100
Kabuto RT33
Sena SMH10r & SMH5
Security:
Oxford Boss Disc lock 12.7mm Shackle
Camera
Sony AS30v
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 PM

My bike is roughly 12k miles. Thinking of changing the chain soon. It's getting to the point that I shouldn't adjust the tension anymore as I don't feel it's safe. As for my sprockets, according to the mechanic at the Honda Powerhouse I bought my bike from, he said my sprockets look amazing so I won't have to replace those for now. I'm going to change my chain to a X-ring chain rather than our stock O-ring. I hear X-ring lasts longer however they do cost more.

On my 2nd rear tire. The first rear tire(came with the bike) got a nail around 8k'ish miles, so I had to replace it, otherwise that tire could have easily lasted 2-3k more miles.

As far as brake pads go, I've honestly haven't checked. As far as just looking at them without dissembling the brake system, it seems I still have plenty of life on the pads left.

2014 CBR500RA - Danmoto Carbon GP, T-Rex Frame Sliders
Suomy Apex 60's Legend
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0
Rev'It Cyclone H20 Rain Jacket (Neon Yellow)
Alpinestars Octane-S Moto Gloves
Drift Ghost
SJ4000
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:09 PM

Garage
I'm a total n00b with only 2400 miles on my bike... But from my initial research on cleaning and maintaining chains, I've heard that if you don't maintain your chain properly, you can need it (and the sprockets) replaced in as little 4k miles. I've heard that if properly maintained it will last around 15k miles, so I think you did well!

On a side note, when you clean your chain, do you clean the front sprocket as well? I clean my chain and rear sprocket, but it looks like it would be a pain (requiring removal of a bunch of hardware) to access the front sprocket. If so, any tips on accessing it?

I'm glad to hear you never adjusted but haven't had any problems... I'm scared to mess with trying to adjust mine as well, so its good to hear that it might still be able to have a full life even without adjustment.

2014 CB500F ABS

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 PM
I only have 2400 miles on my cbr 500r but in the past on a ninja 500 stock chain and sprockets replaced at 20,000 miles so on average 15000 to 20000 I have heard some as high as 30000 on stock chains.All depends on your driving and how well you look after it,checking chain slack is very easy and most cases on a new chain after around 2000 miles they don't stretch to much after that. Your bike shop must of adjusted yours when they put the first new tire on you don't want it to loose or to tight, loose is better tight can really wear the sprockets and chain out very fast and a chance of it breaking.Checking it periodically is the way to go you don't want it to fall off and get you in a accident.You can tighten a chain with in 10 mins.

Last edited by Rocky; 10-26-2015 at 10:27 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yudhamica17 View Post
As for my sprockets, according to the mechanic at the Honda Powerhouse I bought my bike from, he said my sprockets look amazing so I won't have to replace those for now. I'm going to change my chain to a X-ring chain rather than our stock O-ring. I hear X-ring lasts longer however they do cost more.

Even though your sprockets "look amazing" they undoubtedly have wear and will likely still need to be replace it sooner than later. So you may want to consider saving some money on the chain now and get the X-ring when you eventually replace the sprockets.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridalph View Post
I'm a total n00b with only 2400 miles on my bike... But from my initial research on cleaning and maintaining chains, I've heard that if you don't maintain your chain properly, you can need it (and the sprockets) replaced in as little 4k miles. I've heard that if properly maintained it will last around 15k miles, so I think you did well!

On a side note, when you clean your chain, do you clean the front sprocket as well? I clean my chain and rear sprocket, but it looks like it would be a pain (requiring removal of a bunch of hardware) to access the front sprocket. If so, any tips on accessing it?

I'm glad to hear you never adjusted but haven't had any problems... I'm scared to mess with trying to adjust mine as well, so its good to hear that it might still be able to have a full life even without adjustment.
No I've never cleaned the front sprocket.
I get through approximately one can of chain cleaner every time I do it, stick the bike up on a rear stand and use a chain brush on it.
Leave it time to evapourate while I clean the rest of the bike, then slap some fresh lubricant on.
I will start adjusting the chain, it's about time I manned up.

Bike:
2014 CBR500R ABS Black
Mods:
Supersports Pack
R&G Mushrooms
Honda Hot Grips
12v Cigarette Lighter
Gear:
Richa Memphis Jacket
Furygan Akira Jacket
RST Jeans
Furygan Veloce Jeans
Furygan Winter Gloves
Alpinestars S-MX 6 Gore-Tex boots
TCX X-Rap casual boots
Oxford Inoflex Hot Vest
Helmet:
Shoei NXR
Shoei XR1100
Kabuto RT33
Sena SMH10r & SMH5
Security:
Oxford Boss Disc lock 12.7mm Shackle
Camera
Sony AS30v
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Good for you Elloryp!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 AM

A whole can of chain cleaner? I only spray on a bit of Sonax or WD40 to clean the chain with a rag. The Sonax softens up the old grease and wiping the chain is a piece of cake. It takes about one whole old T-shirt to get the chain clean.
Then I apply high temp grease, like for bearings, by hand. It's cheap and after trying oil and chain wax I'm very happy with the grease. It doesn't fling off like oil which needs to be reapplied too often and it doesn't build up like sticky wax. It's good for a bout 1,000 km, depending on the weather. Here in Thailand it's quite dusty and dirty, so the wax attracts everything. I have to check and replace the air filter earlier than in other countries.
I put 27,000 km on my CRF250M chain which is smaller and I'll replace it at 30,000 km.
Rocky likes this.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
A whole can of chain cleaner? I only spray on a bit of Sonax or WD40 to clean the chain with a rag. The Sonax softens up the old grease and wiping the chain is a piece of cake. It takes about one whole old T-shirt to get the chain clean.
Then I apply high temp grease, like for bearings, by hand. It's cheap and after trying oil and chain wax I'm very happy with the grease. It doesn't fling off like oil which needs to be reapplied too often and it doesn't build up like sticky wax. It's good for a bout 1,000 km, depending on the weather. Here in Thailand it's quite dusty and dirty, so the wax attracts everything. I have to check and replace the air filter earlier than in other countries.
I put 27,000 km on my CRF250M chain which is smaller and I'll replace it at 30,000 km.
Grease sounds interesting I may have to try that !
Thump likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM

Garage
I have a tad over 10K miles on my bike. I adjusted the chain at ~200 miles (loosened one side slightly to get chain straight and go to 1.5 inches of slack). It still has ~1.5 inches of chain slack.

The chain has not been adjusted since then. Lubing is frequent, every 100 miles if all in town, every 200 miles or fill up when traveling. I use ATF on an old sock top, keeping it and a nitrile glove in separate zip lock bags.

I had 17K miles on the previous bike's chain when I sold it, using the same approach, with no significant chain stretching. But, it was a 250 that needed a new rear tire every 4K miles (16-inch Trail Wing tube-type tire).

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 10-28-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add today's measurement of chain slack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page