Worn rear shock preload adjuster - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
NLP

Garage
Question Worn rear shock preload adjuster

Hi everybody,

Before a quick ride across town yesterday, I pulled out my spanner wrench and dove under my bike to crank the read suspension down a couple notches, but found that the wrench just...wouldn't grip. If you've ever adjusted the rear preload on your 500, you know how cramped it is back there - at this particular preload setting, there was only one angle at which I could insert the wrench to grip the shock and subtract preload. I found that I could add preload, and then take that just-added preload back out, but once I reached that point, there was only one adjustment slot that I could grab with the wrench to remove further preload, and that one slot just wouldn't hold on to my wrench

(I've had this bike since January of this year, and between solo rides, shopping and riding with my girlfriend on the back, I end up adjusting the rear shock about half the time I hop on - in other words, I've performed this operation successfully many times, and feel confident declaring an impasse)

Frustrated and delayed, I shoved my camera underneath the bike to get a better view, and found this:

http://i.imgur.com/N8wq8kZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dhXdm76.jpg

The pictures are a bit rough (I had to contort myself into yoga pose just to get the camera back there), but you can see that two of the adjustment holes on the shock are significantly worn on their right sides - instead of a sharp squared edge for the spanner wrench to grip, there's just a nasty rounded mush of worn steel. This would explain why I couldn't remove any more preload - the wrench had nothing to bite on. (These pictures were taken from the left side of the bike)

Here's my question: has anybody else encountered this issue? I'm posting in the Warranty section because this sure seems like it merits a warranty replacement: my bike has only 3500 miles on it, and I can no longer adjust the rear shock to suit solo riding. The dealer that sold me the bike was dismissive on the phone, but did agree to take a look in a couple days. In the mean time, if anybody has encountered a similar issue, or has any other thoughts, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,
-NLP

-NLP

2014 CB500F

Last edited by NLP; 10-23-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM

I had never considered the pre-load as something that would be adjusted so often. Based on your example, I can see why someone would want to. But it seemed like such a pain, I assumed most people would only rarely adjust it.
Maybe Honda assumed the same. Seems like it's either a design flaw or at least something Honda should have warned owners about.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 PM

Garage
I doubt there is a quick fix here ... one way or another I would replace this part.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Garage
i have had to remove the foot peg plate (2 8mm hex screws) on the side i am accessing to gain more position options for the spanner... have you tried that?

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 PM

remove the left footpeg plate to get more room.
look like somebody hv tried to adjust it back & forth.
the adjuster will go round 360 deg.
it will jump from 9 back to 1.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:53 AM

Old post but I just read this. Mine did this the first time I adjusted it. I recently put it on a rear stand and tried to do one more quick turn. Two of mine are stripped from the first couple turns I've done on it. I don't know if there is a fix or not, but I've basically ignored it for 6000 miles or so...

Hard to believe they made the adjuster out of such soft metal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:18 PM

The OP's shock looks pretty corroded, like it may have been driven on salted roads. I would take the shock off, and spray some white lithium lube on the cam and work the adjuster in a vice to make sure everything is moving freely. Then clean up the adjuster with a file if possible. I adjusted mine up 1 step of preload shortly after I bought the bike new. It was easy to do and made the chassis much more settled without affecting the ride. I'm 175lbs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Obviously this shock never intended to be adjusted and re-adjusted so many times.

I've never touched my adjustment and probably never will.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 PM

I think the factory preload setting is biased towards seat height rather than handling. Did the US bikes come with the adjusting wrench?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page