Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Headlights not working all of a sudden.

16K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  airhead83 
#1 ·
Bike maybe has 2200 miles. Bulbs not blown, headlight fuse under the seat is intact. Read somewhere that a cable could come lose from the starter button, checked that. It's good. Lights will not come on when key is turned on or when the bike is started. No dim or bright. Gah.

#2 ·
If it's still under warranty, use that. If not, start troubleshooting at the headlight switch itself. A factory service manual should have all of the wiring diagrams.

What sort of testing led you to conclude the bulb and fuse are good? Sometimes a visual inspection will make them look good but they won't be. Just trying to make sure we don't ask you to repeat any steps you've already taken.

#6 · (Edited)
Headlights stops working

I have the same problem today. After the dealership fix the gas tank recall, all the lights went out. I told the service representative and drove the bike back into the shop for 5 minutes. When he back out all lights work again. He says it came back on and he didn't do anything. I still do not trust him. No clues of what happened. anyone knows???

good news today...
Update!!
Got my cbr500r to the dealership and it looks like the problem is fixed. They tested headlight circuits and replaced new headlight bulb. Reconnected all connections and it's working as before. Dealership service staff and service manager resolved the issue quickly and professionally. It was a hassle free experience. Thank you Clawson Honda of Fresno.

#7 ·
Was yours a faulty ignition as well kvnxiong???? This appears to have happened to me today as well on my 2013 CBR500R I had the gas tank repaired January 2017 though so not related to that in any way. my bike has 27,k miles. Today both headlights and high beam switch does not function.

#8 ·
Well guys i just spend the evening tearing my bike apart chasing the headlight wire from the starter switch. I tested Continuity from the switch all the way to the headlight and no breaks in the wire. The Fault is in fact in the Starter Button on the Right hand switch. It should when depressed disconnect the headlight power and connect the starter relay power. It does half the job the other half is broken as it stopped reconnecting the headlight power. :( i am ordering parts tonight will have update for confirmation after it's back up and running. To fix i jumped the power on the headlight relay under the right fender and this powered headlights with no issues. Should you want to bypass the switch all together.

#9 ·
Replaced the Starter Switch today and confirmed this was the cause of the headlights not working all the sudden. 2 options. Replace the starter switch $35-45 dollars Or bypass the headlight relay at the relay behind right fender. This will leave the headlights on even when the bike is starting but generally won't hurt should you have a good battery on the bike.

#14 ·
That may be true. But this is one of those times, it may be quicker and cheaper to buy a part that's relatively cheap, plug it in and try it. I believe for less than $10 US you can find a lamp at most auto parts stores. If you're wrong, you're out a few dollars and you have a spare headlamp. Just a suggestion, but sometimes the obvious place to start is the easiest and cheapest option, and hope for the best.

#17 ·
You should not need to remove the fairing to access the headlamps. Just remove the cover and replace the bulb. The low beam is the right hand cover (when viewed while sitting on the bike).

#19 ·
Do you have an owners manual to look at? Some bikes have a clip over the removable cover or a simple twist or something to remove. LOOK at the manual first before you go to extra trouble. If you don't have a manual, go to Honda's official site for your part of the world. (The site I'd send you is for US and may be different) Honda provides free PDF downloads for owners manuals. Find the link on their website, plug in the model and year.. and download it for free. You may still need to go to the trouble you have in mind, but gosh it may be something simple. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.