US Recalls the 2013 CBR500R, CB500X and CB500F - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:22 PM

I decided to call another dealer to see what they had to say. They confirmed that the bolt mentioned above is the bolt being replaced in the recall. I brought up the issue that as per the service manual, it should have been removed and re-tightened when they were checking the valves, and he said that it wasn't likely that it actually was removed. He went on to say that if the valves didn't need adjusting, that the bolt definitely wouldn't have been removed, and even if they did need adjusting, removing the plug bolt wasn't entirely necessary.

TL;DR: The bolt could have been checked/removed at the first service and re-tightened correctly, but it is likely that it wasn't. He also mentioned that he has no idea when they are supposed to receive the bolts from Honda.

2013 Honda CBR500RA
2003 Yamaha TTR125L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Mine go's in on the 1st there replacing the bolt and the seal
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM

I'm wondering whether Canadian bikes will also be affected... Seems all other regions are. I'm just waiting for the announcement/letter... And the winter to thaw.

Good point about the first service, Hyperlitefreak26. My Canadian dealer said they weren't going to inspect the values and the price reflected this so I took it a second time to get the values done in Michigan. Maybe it was worth it?

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 PM

Mine had the valve check but there still going to replace the parts so GOOD on them
bambams likes this.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

i got my bike back today...the bolts were replaced. upon inspection the head of my bolt was fractured but they said it may have never fallen out. While they had my bike Honda performed my 600 mile service...and it was mostly free of charge. All I had to pay for was the oil change $31.46. That was very nice and great customer service.

My old bolts had a blue streak across the head...these new shinier bolts have a green dot placed in the head of the bolt. ALL valves were in spec! Not too shabby! Thanks Honda!
CBR_Dave and magus like this.

Been Twisting Throttles since 1986!

2013 CBR500R (Tri-color)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:59 PM

OK, well, this is getting interesting. Here's my question - If my bolts, which, assuming they're the same ones Hyperlitefreak26 posted the pictures of and which are clearly visible on the kickstand side of the engine, aren't leaking and aren't visibly compromised, can't I just ignore the recall (which I have not yet received, anyway) and save the trip to the dealer and all the downtime and hassle?
I was kind of excited there for a while because I thought I was going to get my valve adjustment inspection for free with the recall, but now that I see that the bolts in the recall are on the outside of the engine and Honda says the recall fix takes only a half-hour to do, it looks like they won't have to get into the top end of the engine to do the service, so no free valve adjustment.
Am I right?
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM

@BigMike_TX

What is the manufacture date (located by VIN) for your motorcycle?
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montliz44 View Post
OK, well, this is getting interesting. Here's my question - If my bolts, which, assuming they're the same ones Hyperlitefreak26 posted the pictures of and which are clearly visible on the kickstand side of the engine, aren't leaking and aren't visibly compromised, can't I just ignore the recall (which I have not yet received, anyway) and save the trip to the dealer and all the downtime and hassle?
I was kind of excited there for a while because I thought I was going to get my valve adjustment inspection for free with the recall, but now that I see that the bolts in the recall are on the outside of the engine and Honda says the recall fix takes only a half-hour to do, it looks like they won't have to get into the top end of the engine to do the service, so no free valve adjustment.
Am I right?
I've read that people have been told not to worry about it until you receive a letter in the mail. You may choose to be preventative and check with your dealer early, but it sounds like Honda is mailing letters to all affected owners so you should be able to wait for that (unless you have symptoms that require immediate attention, of course).

I wouldn't count on receiving the 600 mile service free. That isn't something that Honda is offering. Some dealerships may be doing that, but it is on their own dime just to please their customers. Some people reported getting the 600 mile service free way back in April 2013, IIRC. The dealerships all have that option, but aren't required to do that.

It sounds like the affected parts do need to be removed in order to do the valve inspection though so it makes sense for the dealership to fix it all at once if your bike is ready. They will hopefully factor that in, but who knows how closely Honda monitors their dealerships. I'm guessing the dealerships are private companies not in any way owned by Honda that just pay franchising fees and abide by certain rules and regulations as a result. They're probably barely affiliated with Honda.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)

post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcolors View Post
@BigMike_TX

What is the manufacture date (located by VIN) for your motorcycle?
THanks for your help, My date is 4/13 , #5002738
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Rereading MikeTheBear's list of AU recalls, it looks like my serial number would be newer and out of the recall zone. Mine was delivered to US, not AU, but they were all manufactured on the same line (I think).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page