US Recalls the 2013 CBR500R, CB500X and CB500F - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM

CAN WE PLEASE GET A MOD TO STICKY THIS THREAD?!?!?!

I got a call from my dealer today that the US bikes are officially recalled as well (or at least mine is), so I wanted to let others know. I did verify that it was the same issue, that rocker arm bolt that can come loose and leak oil, so it is looking like all the 2013 500s are effected.

I'll update this if I find out anything else.

2013 Honda CBR500RA
2003 Yamaha TTR125L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlitefreak26 View Post
CAN WE PLEASE GET A MOD TO STICKY THIS THREAD?!?!?!

I got a call from my dealer today that the US bikes are officially recalled as well (or at least mine is), so I wanted to let others know. I did verify that it was the same issue, that rocker arm bolt that can come loose and leak oil, so it is looking like all the 2013 500s are effected.

I'll update this if I find out anything else.
I haven't received a call or a letter. Other then the dollar in the mail.
EricH likes this.

2013 Honda CB500F 2AC- PEARL HIMALAYAS WHITE
-the2Wheels Adjustable Levers
-SW-Motech Crash Bar's
-R&G Fender Eliminator
-R&G Radiator Gaurd
-Renthal Street Fighter Handle Bar

-RhinoMoto bar end sliders
-CRG Arrow Bar-end Mirrors
-Bkmoto Dual Halo HID/Projector
-GPR "thunderslash" slip-on

-MotoDynamic LED taillight
-Battery Tender USB Charger
-PussyGrips grip covers
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Dealer Update...It is "official". They will be replacing the Rocker Arm Sealing Bolt. All recalled bikes in 2013 owned by customers will be serviced first, then they will work on the "Showroom Floor Models".

Here is the kicker....Parts have not been allocated to the dealers for the fix. One of two things will happen.... 1) Honda will do a drop shipment of the parts for the dealer to have in stock or 2) Honda will allocate these new bolts one at a time as bikes come in. My service rep has called Honda USA and is awaiting an answer. NICE! Don't know how long the Dealer will have my bike. Follow up next week. Frustration sets in!

PS Good thing is my service rep understand my frustration....I will be getting a deep discount on my 600mile service. That is the only good news so far!
CBR_Flashmob likes this.

Been Twisting Throttles since 1986!

2013 CBR500R (Tri-color)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike_TX View Post
Dealer Update...It is "official". They will be replacing the Rocker Arm Sealing Bolt. All recalled bikes in 2013 owned by customers will be serviced first, then they will work on the "Showroom Floor Models".

Here is the kicker....Parts have not been allocated to the dealers for the fix. One of two things will happen.... 1) Honda will do a drop shipment of the parts for the dealer to have in stock or 2) Honda will allocate these new bolts one at a time as bikes come in. My service rep has called Honda USA and is awaiting an answer. NICE! Don't know how long the Dealer will have my bike. Follow up next week. Frustration sets in!
My dealer told me to call and schedule an appointment (whenever the ice thaws) just so they could verify that they had the bolts in stock. He also said that the service should take 30-45 mins (we'll see about that), but the engine had to be cold for them to do the work.

My dealership was just bought out by another dealership, and everyone new seems like an idiot, so I'm taking what they say with a grain of salt.

2013 Honda CBR500RA
2003 Yamaha TTR125L
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM

but what exactly will have the new bolts? special thread or something else? if it was me i will but some markings on the bolts and check them regularly before every right, if the markings are not aligned then its a sign that the bolts are becoming loose. but at least i can use the bike before get to the dealer, not leave the bike there waiting for the parts to arrive
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalotel View Post
but what exactly will have the new bolts? special thread or something else? if it was me i will but some markings on the bolts and check them regularly before every right, if the markings are not aligned then its a sign that the bolts are becoming loose. but at least i can use the bike before get to the dealer, not leave the bike there waiting for the parts to arrive
Pretty sure what you will find that the "new bolts" are the same as the "old" bolts. On ***SOME*** bikes they just weren't installed properly. A new bolt would be needed only if the old bolt is damaged (over torqued etc). The vast, vast majority wont require a "new" bolt. They'll inspect, put it back with loctite and torque to spec.

Dave
brittonx likes this.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Exactly what CBR_Dave said. He bad thing is now that they have my bike they are awaiting Honda to get off their rump. I called Honda USA today to get answers...in 48 hours a "case manager" should be giving me directions. I told them my bike has not had loose hardware nor the bolt coming loose. I will ask the case manager if they can "inspect and reinstall with loctite". This is one F'ed up situation. Even Honda USA was glad i brought the bike inso I could not cause any potential damage. Heck, they can upgrade me to the 600RR for free. LOL
IcyBlu likes this.

Been Twisting Throttles since 1986!

2013 CBR500R (Tri-color)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, anyone know if this is the "rocker arm sealing bolt" in question? This is taken from the service manual under the "cylinder head/valves" section, but it also appears in the valve adjustment section. In the valve adjustment section, it says that this must be removed to check the valves, so if they weren't tightened properly at the factory, then thy should have been at the service (in theory). I realize that the manual calls this the "plug bolt" and "sealing washer", but other than this, I can't find any other mention of a "sealing bolt" in the rocker arms section.

montliz44 and bambams like this.

2013 Honda CBR500RA
2003 Yamaha TTR125L
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM

I called Cycle Shack North in Conroe and my recall service is scheduled for this Saturday. The service manager said that they may have my bike until the following Wednesday.
BigMike_TX likes this.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Yep, that's the same bolt IMHO. Interesting point re 1st service.

Dave
bambams likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page