Australian recall on the CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X - Page 8 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asparagus View Post
Hey Dave, any news on your oil consumption test so far? I'm curious to see what the results are for you and what the dealer says.

From your posts, I feel like I'm on a similar consumption pattern to yours. My oil was changed at 600 miles exactly (first service) and I'm now at 2000 miles, the oil level is somewhat below the mid line. I haven't topped up anything yet. Also, my oil is black, and i mean properly black - not hazy like you wrote in one of your earlier posts. I actually dropped by my dealer this morning, he said "mate, bikes use a drop of oil" and said all was normal, both level and colour.

Btw my bike is perfectly clean no visible leaks anywhere so all consumption is through the engine. My exhaust (I have a LV Corsa slip-on) is pretty dirty at the end, again dealer says that's normal.

Keeping a close eye on how things develop...
Started yesterday. I go back in 1000km. My oil isnt "hazy" as far as I can tell, I think that was a point I noted about some other dudes pic.

They will always say that engines use oil - they do! But it's going to be hardly noticeable between service intervals. Half a sight glass is several hundred mLs.

But 100-200mL per 1000km = 600-1200mL every 6000km, which is 20%-40% of the TOTAL oil volume...not to mention that the ACTUAL service intervals by the book are 12,000km...so that would be 40-80% of the oil being replaced between services. Why bother changing the oil roflol .

If I were you, I'd talk to the dealer and ask them what oil they recommended you use. Buy some and carefully top it up to a specific point in the sight glass. Then monitor the use (before and after pics and the odometer) very carefully measuring the oil it takes to top it up - buy a measuring cylinder that they sell for mixing 2-stoke (thats what I did). Then you'll know. That is exactly what the oil consumption test is. Then go to the dealer, show them, and ask for them so do a formal oil consumption test.

BTW: my mate has done only 1000km less than me, and his oil level hasn't noticeably moved in 3000km (as you'd expect). Mine was way low at that point, no question.

Dave

loloyd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_Dave View Post
Started yesterday. I go back in 1000km. My oil isnt "hazy" as far as I can tell, I think that was a point I noted about some other dudes pic.

They will always say that engines use oil - they do! But it's going to be hardly noticeable between service intervals. Half a sight glass is several hundred mLs.

But 100-200mL per 1000km = 600-1200mL every 6000km, which is 20%-40% of the TOTAL oil volume...not to mention that the ACTUAL service intervals by the book are 12,000km...so that would be 40-80% of the oil being replaced between services. Why bother changing the oil roflol .

If I were you, I'd talk to the dealer and ask them what oil they recommended you use. Buy some and carefully top it up to a specific point in the sight glass. Then monitor the use (before and after pics and the odometer) very carefully measuring the oil it takes to top it up - buy a measuring cylinder that they sell for mixing 2-stoke (thats what I did). Then you'll know. That is exactly what the oil consumption test is. Then go to the dealer, show them, and ask for them so do a formal oil consumption test.

BTW: my mate has done only 1000km less than me, and his oil level hasn't noticeably moved in 3000km (as you'd expect). Mine was way low at that point, no question.

Dave
Thanks for the update mate. I'll do exactly as you suggest. I'm pretty sure I have a problem. I filled up 250ml today, and it's still not up to the top line - only about 2/3 up. That suggests I might have lost 350ml+ in just 1500 miles.

On the other hand I'm now thinking I might have an actual leak behind the front sprocket. I cleaned the bike today and there was much more gunk in that general area, on the top of the side stand and under the sprocket, I'm suspecting I might have a leak. Though I never had a single drop of oil under the bike, either at home or at work, and I always park in the same spot. Not sure as the sprocket cover is such an incredible pain to get off, I never actually do for cleaning/lubing the chain. I didn't have time to take off today so maybe next week. Wonder if you can have a leak but never a drop under the bike? It could still just be dirt and chain lube though. Super clean now so will keep an eye on it...

CB1100
SOLD: 2013 CB500F ABS - white - Honda hugger, Oxford heated grips, 12v socket, Givi rack and topbox, LeoVince GP Corsa slip-on, Givi Easylock panniers, Puig Naked NewGen screen
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM

I've had the same thing including oil loss but no drops on ground. Lots of gunk above side stand area, presuming its chain lube. Just had 12k service at 10,000 (a bit early) plus recall part, see how she goes from here. Always rides perfect though.

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 PM

I mine done last Friday. Took about 15min
post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 AM

From the sounds of it, if it was the front sprocket main oil seal, there'd be oil everywhere:

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wa...-sprocket.html

Dave
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM

Did mine today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_Dave View Post
From the sounds of it, if it was the front sprocket main oil seal, there'd be oil everywhere:

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/wa...-sprocket.html

Dave
yeah highly unlikely I know. I've been watching since the weekend and not a drop of oil anywhere. So it must have all gone through the engine. Let's see how it goes from here, hopefully consumption goes down from here on. I'm keeping a close eye on it

CB1100
SOLD: 2013 CB500F ABS - white - Honda hugger, Oxford heated grips, 12v socket, Givi rack and topbox, LeoVince GP Corsa slip-on, Givi Easylock panniers, Puig Naked NewGen screen
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 PM

Its a 2minute job?

When mine was done they said it takes about 1-2 HOURS and they had to 'order in the kit'...!??

When I got my bike back, its had LESS power than my Kawasaki zzr250 and because the revs have doubled due of the loss of power, its chewing through my fuel so much faster.

What have they done to my baby!?
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 AM
eds

Why bother topping up the oil?
Just change it (with 100% new, fresh, clear oil) and feel the difference!
It only takes around 2.7L (and oil filter).
Sure, it may cost a little more, just need to prioritise spending on other luxury items.
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 PM

mine is MLHPC44UXD50***** does it fall within the range?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page