Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Doing some research

6K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  1uglybastard 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of trading my Ninja 300 commuter for a CBR500R. It's done exceptionally well for city commuting but I did a 1300 mile road trip on it and it didn't have enough oomph over 80 when I wanted to pass cars. Since the 500 does just as well, if not better, with fuel mileage according the fuelly and threads here, I think this might make a good trade.

About me: been riding 11 years next month, current bikes are in my sig, I ride track on occasion but not a racer, I commute almost daily, and I've done several cross country road trips, all on sport bikes. I aspire to do a road trip to Anchorage from New Orleans in a year or 2.

I've loved many bikes but still looking for my dream bike.

And yes, I use car oil in all of my bikes (Rotella T6, Mobil 1 synthetic) and plug my tires when they get a nail and in 11 years never had an issue with either >:)

#5 ·
I would regard the CBR500R as a commuter type machine with a very sporty appearance. I've had mine only a brief time and have a total of about 2 hrs ride time. The bike has a more upright seating position which I wasn't fully expecting. Power band is broad, good low end torque. Smooth running machine :) And, Honda is still building great bikes, IMO.

#6 ·
beautiful bikes.

I'm looking at used, actually. There's one about an hour from me but it's boring ol' black. I like the white\red\blue or even the matte black. I'm willing to fly anywhere in the continental U.S. to get it, including Alaska as I love road trips.

Also, I want to keep the price around $3,500, which I've seen some 14's go for. I can get $2,800 for my Ninja easily, so that would help offset the price of the CBR. For an Alaskan road trip, I'd gladly pay more for a newer model just for the experience, however.

The only reason I'm considering this move is the power issue.

#7 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the Ninja 300 and the cb500 are very similar on the top end although the Ninja 300 needs to do it with more revs.
The cb500 starts to run out of breath above 80-85 mph but the revs are much lower.

The CB series is a great bike. Many people here have other more powerful bikes and enjoy the 500 just as much. Me included.
I think you need to demo one as the performance difference is not all that much between it and the little Ninja.

As another poster mentioned, there is an updated 650 coming out from Kawasaki. Maybe you should wait. I owned a 2009 650 Versys. It's rated at 60 HP and would tromp my cb500F in any speed test. Plus it's extremely reliable.
The cb500 gets 60-70 MPG. My 650 Versys got 52-57 MPG even riding aggressively and maybe nearly 60 mellow riding.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a CB but if you're looking for more power than the Ninja 300 take a demo ride first.

#9 ·
I'm like that with my 300. of my 3 bikes, it gets the most use. it's a fun little toy.

ok, i'll give one a test ride. The Ninja 650 is more expensive and has a rep for not having that great of a suspension. I'd have to try that one as well. what I'm looking for is flickability that's comparable to the 300, reliable, more power on the highway, and excellent fuel mileage. I don't want to lose any of the perks that the 300 offers.

thanks for the advice.

#10 ·
i checked it out. Almost seems too good to be true. Plus, that pic looks like it was taken on the Miami strip. Not saying it's impossible that the guy road the bike that far, but when it's only 1 pic, little info, low price, I get a little suspicious.

#14 ·
wow, i just learned that kawi is selling a Versys 300 this year. now sure how i feel about that considering it would be a hwy bike as well. if you're a camper then it would be loaded up with camping gear to boot.

#18 ·
The 500 definitely has more passing power. For those who say the 500 runs out of breath at 80-85, something's wrong with either your bike or your riding style. My 500 will get right on up to 100 in a snap. I suspect some who say that don't know to downshift into the rev range before passing. The 300 is the same way. You have to downshift into the rev range for passing power, but the 500 definitely has more torque there. You just need to know how to get on it.
@1uglybastard, try taking your ninja out onto the freeway and get up to 80...then downshift from 6th to 5th and throttle on hard at the same time. Do that and then tell us how you feel about its passing ability. The ninja 300 can do it.

#22 ·
The 500 definitely has more passing power. For those who say the 500 runs out of breath at 80-85, something's wrong with either your bike or your riding style. My 500 will get right on up to 100 in a snap. I suspect some who say that don't know to downshift into the rev range before passing. The 300 is the same way. You have to downshift into the rev range for passing power, but the 500 definitely has more torque there. You just need to know how to get on it.

@1uglybastard, try taking your ninja out onto the freeway and get up to 80...then downshift from 6th to 5th and throttle on hard at the same time. Do that and then tell us how you feel about its passing ability. The ninja 300 can do it.
I get to 90 no problem. My point is that it takes a lot of effort even in a lower gear. I'm sure you have enough experience to know that even revving higher at a lower gear, a smaller engine will require more strain and take longer to reach a faster speed and it will top out sooner.

On prolonged rides, like 650 miles across windy interstates, I'd like more passing power with good fuel efficiency. The fact that a sustained speed of 80 doesn't bring better fuel efficiency than city riding tells me that the 300 is past an efficient rpm and is in a stage of higher stress.

#19 · (Edited)
I can get up to 100 very easily. I ride at 85 all the time on the freeway and the bike still have more left.

I like the MPG on this thing and that alone along with the smooth delivery of power sold me on this bike. What I didn't expect in this price range how good the bikes brakes work along with very good suspension, for the price point. Have not adjusted anything with the suspension on this bike, it's about as good as I would need it. I'm no wall flower, I ride in the foothills all the time through twisty stuff. The bike handles very well. This bike for me is akin to a Swiss Army knife.

I've owned over 35 motorcycles in over 45 years of riding and this bike for me turn out to be the biggest bang for the buck and the happiest little bike I've ever own. It's the little engine that could.

Only thing I recommend for this bike...... that gear indicator thing. With 6 speeds on the mountain roads I was losing track of what gear I was in. Added that little tool, I'm now a totally happy camper. Think the bike should have come with one out of the crate.

Long haul 65 mph with 72 MPG ain't bad. I'm almost at min in the 60 something mpg range all the time and that's flogging it.

I'll give that new Kawasaki 650 a look-E-see. It would take a whole lot to pry me off my 500.

#24 ·
Based on your input, in particular the bang for buck and Highway cruising comments, I'm considering getting the 500 in Alaska this summer and riding it home down to New Orleans. I may sell the 300 and put the money as a down payment. If I can find a used deal on CL I may take that route instead.

#27 ·
If I were going to be riding a lot of long distances I'd be looking at the 500X. Just seems better suited.

#32 ·
I think the 300 could make the ride without issues. It would be more comfortable on the 500.

I don't know what model that bike turn out to be. That never in the article. I read that story in the id 60's, but never ever forgot the details. It was just so intriguing to me at the time. Probably because I was already thinking about motorcycles for transportation at a very early age.

#33 ·
You can get great deals on a CBR650F. Its been considered a good upgrade path from the 300s. A few of the N300 forum owners jumped ship onto it with no regrets. Since the new model was just showcased and is yet to reach dealerships, you might even manage to find good deal on the 2015 CBR650F old stocks for as low as the new CBR500Rs price. Ask around.

#36 ·
That was exactly my position. I wanted a compromise between light weight, agility, cost, and adequate performance. The 500 seemed to fit the bill the best. Bigger machines came with an unacceptable amount of weight and cost for me, despite their higher performance, and smaller ones had the trade-off of lower performance and poorer value for money for their lighter weight and compact dimensions.

Maintenance is also a consideration. The cb500 is a twin cylinder. 4 cylinder bikes are more complicated to work on especially when valve adjustment comes due.
Not to mention being heavier on consumables like fuel, tyres and chains.

#42 ·
C
I am down to two bikes and a big scooter so if either bike is in for maintenance I have another ready to go.

Patience is the ONLY way to work on a bike. My repair shed is well lit with a nice stereo system. A few beers and maybe a good cigar and all is well with the world. If a friend stops by sometimes more drinking then wrenching happens.
That's OK too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.