2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
2006 CBR 1000RR (Blue/yellow)
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
i checked it out. Almost seems too good to be true. Plus, that pic looks like it was taken on the Miami strip. Not saying it's impossible that the guy road the bike that far, but when it's only 1 pic, little info, low price, I get a little suspicious.
Plus if it's from RI you can bet they don't have a title. (No offense to RI members).
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'm like that with my 300. of my 3 bikes, it gets the most use. it's a fun little toy.

ok, i'll give one a test ride. The Ninja 650 is more expensive and has a rep for not having that great of a suspension. I'd have to try that one as well. what I'm looking for is flickability that's comparable to the 300, reliable, more power on the highway, and excellent fuel mileage. I don't want to lose any of the perks that the 300 offers.

thanks for the advice.
The 650 Versys/Ninja/er6n are a good bang for the buck but they are built down to a price and they really have crap suspension. And the Versys was supposed to be the best of them. It was extremely harsh over sharp edged bumps and pot holes. The budget suspension on the my 2015 cb500F is heads and shoulders above it.

I've not ridden the Ninja 300 but from what I've read, it's a very good performer. I believe the cb500 is better just not way more powerful. More powerful..yes, just not way more. You will add to what the the Ninja has to offer.

I love my little CBF. It's got to be the easiest bike I've ever ridden and loads of fun.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

wow, i just learned that kawi is selling a Versys 300 this year. now sure how i feel about that considering it would be a hwy bike as well. if you're a camper then it would be loaded up with camping gear to boot.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
The 650 Versys/Ninja/er6n are a good bang for the buck but they are built down to a price and they really have crap suspension. And the Versys was supposed to be the best of them. It was extremely harsh over sharp edged bumps and pot holes. The budget suspension on the my 2015 cb500F is heads and shoulders above it.

I've not ridden the Ninja 300 but from what I've read, it's a very good performer. I believe the cb500 is better just not way more powerful. More powerful..yes, just not way more. You will add to what the the Ninja has to offer.

I love my little CBF. It's got to be the easiest bike I've ever ridden and loads of fun.
the suspension is likely the same for the CBR500R so it might be a more comfortable bike on top of more power. I'll find out when I can test ride one.

I do encourage you to bum a 300 from a fellow rider if you can. it's a fun bike, especially in the city or where you have to make tight turns. it's a nimble little thing. I love it.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
wow, i just learned that kawi is selling a Versys 300 this year. now sure how i feel about that considering it would be a hwy bike as well. if you're a camper then it would be loaded up with camping gear to boot.
FWIW, the Versys 650 is an extremely capable LD tourer and used low milers can be bought cheap.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
the suspension is likely the same for the CBR500R so it might be a more comfortable bike on top of more power. I'll find out when I can test ride one.

I do encourage you to bum a 300 from a fellow rider if you can. it's a fun bike, especially in the city or where you have to make tight turns. it's a nimble little thing. I love it.
I had considered one as a second bike to my ZRX1200 but a salesman friend of mine who rides everything on the planet convinced me not to get any of the 300s for fear of growing out of them. Which I believe he was right.
I still do want to ride one.
I'm guessing you'll have a blast on the CB. I demo'd one and I was sold within a quarter mile.

And then there is a cb500X model as well.
1uglybastard likes this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:52 PM

The 500 definitely has more passing power. For those who say the 500 runs out of breath at 80-85, something's wrong with either your bike or your riding style. My 500 will get right on up to 100 in a snap. I suspect some who say that don't know to downshift into the rev range before passing. The 300 is the same way. You have to downshift into the rev range for passing power, but the 500 definitely has more torque there. You just need to know how to get on it.

@1uglybastard, try taking your ninja out onto the freeway and get up to 80...then downshift from 6th to 5th and throttle on hard at the same time. Do that and then tell us how you feel about its passing ability. The ninja 300 can do it.

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 10k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:31 PM

I can get up to 100 very easily. I ride at 85 all the time on the freeway and the bike still have more left.

I like the MPG on this thing and that alone along with the smooth delivery of power sold me on this bike. What I didn't expect in this price range how good the bikes brakes work along with very good suspension, for the price point. Have not adjusted anything with the suspension on this bike, it's about as good as I would need it. I'm no wall flower, I ride in the foothills all the time through twisty stuff. The bike handles very well. This bike for me is akin to a Swiss Army knife.

I've owned over 35 motorcycles in over 45 years of riding and this bike for me turn out to be the biggest bang for the buck and the happiest little bike I've ever own. It's the little engine that could.

Only thing I recommend for this bike...... that gear indicator thing. With 6 speeds on the mountain roads I was losing track of what gear I was in. Added that little tool, I'm now a totally happy camper. Think the bike should have come with one out of the crate.

Long haul 65 mph with 72 MPG ain't bad. I'm almost at min in the 60 something mpg range all the time and that's flogging it.

I'll give that new Kawasaki 650 a look-E-see. It would take a whole lot to pry me off my 500.
GlenAnderson and 1uglybastard like this.

Last edited by sonicboom; 01-14-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:22 PM

The gear indicator..right. I knew there was something I wanted to do over the winter. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page