How-To: Change the oil in your 2013 CBR500R/CB500F/X - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 AM

As someone who has done a few maintenance write-ups for the (ahem, Suzuki VanVan Forum) I really appreciate the time and effort made to explain things with clarity, perfect illustrations, and interesting explanatory asides. Great job.

Apart from the welcome saving of money, I firmly believe that 'caring' in this way for our machines, creates a greater bond of trust, than wondering if that new guy at the dealer replaced all the fittings. And when you get the brake callipers or the rear wheel off there is the bonus of localised preventative maintenance that then becomes accessible to us as owner/riders.

Phil A likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM

great write up, thanks for the picures. What rear stand are you using?

Thanks
Phil
post #23 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Nice write up.

post #24 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger81 View Post
great write up, thanks for the picures. What rear stand are you using?

Thanks
Phil
Mine is just a cheapo "rear paddock stand" that I got from Motorcycle Superstore for 50 bucks on sale, not sure of the actual brand.. though it looks like they don't sell it anymore. It's worked great for me so far!

2013 CBR500R ABS - MAH BABY
2014 Mazda3s - For when it's cold outside
post #25 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Nice writeup! I'm sure it'll help many new riders.
post #26 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ad View Post
Mine is just a cheapo "rear paddock stand" that I got from Motorcycle Superstore for 50 bucks on sale, not sure of the actual brand.. though it looks like they don't sell it anymore. It's worked great for me so far!
I'm having an issue trying to find a rear stand, Im in Perth Australia and the cheapest i can find one is $120 AUD for a real cheap looking one, Im a Boilermaker and recon there is about $20 of steel and $10 for wheels + about 2hr work but im not working in a workshop at the moment and living in an apartment with no space Arrrrrrrrrr

You can buy them from the US for $50 + $95 shipping WTF!!!!
post #27 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 PM

I've been doing the oil changes on my car(s) for ~5 years so I plan to do the same to my bike. Unfortunately, my aptitude inside a garage doesn't extend much beyond that, though someday I'd love to change that. Hopefully I win the lottery so I can afford a garage and project car or two, and time to work on them.

I plan to take my bike to the dealership for the "technical" jobs, but with the help of my chapter should be able to handle the intermediate stuff well enough. I still need to learn how and how often to do routine maintenance (e.g., the chain has me nervous).

I'm surprised to see a rear-stand used in this guide. I would expect the angle of having the rear lifted would prevent some of the oil from draining. Probably negligible, but wouldn't a center-stand be better? Or does this bike not like center-stands? Thanks for any other tips.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the great write up! I need my 600 mile service but cant afford to take it in yet, so I'm going to just change the oil at home and have them check the valve clearance a bit later. Thanks!
post #29 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 AM

I bought a handy little tool for removing oil filter . It arrived today and is heavier and more substantial than appears in the photo . The top nut section is welded in 4 points and looks quite strong. Filters are genuine Honda too , in Honda boxes

2 x original HONDA Ölfilter + Schlüssel, CBR 500 R , PC 44 , PC44 , Top Qualit | eBay

Keep Her Lit !
post #30 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 AM

IMPORTANT ! This tool should only be used for REMOVAL of oil filter and NOT for fitting and tightening the new oil filter or it will most likely be over tightened significantly. Hand tightening for new filter and smear rubber seal with new oil beforehand .

Keep Her Lit !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page