How-To: Change the oil in your 2013 CBR500R/CB500F/X - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Brilliant write up and photos, thanks for taking the time out to do it. Lets see a photo of your Mustang now!!

Although I normally do all my servicing I'm getting the dealer to do my first one, hopefully it won't be some 'punk' but probably will be. I'm going to do another oil change at 1000 miles so the 600 mile one will be the first flush! I'm getting the dealer to do it so there are no issues with warranty etc. but want to change it again so I know whats actually in it. I'm always suspicious that the guys in the dealership chuck in any old crap and keep the good oil for themselves or eBay!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebs500 View Post
Brilliant write up and photos, thanks for taking the time out to do it. Lets see a photo of your Mustang now!!

Although I normally do all my servicing I'm getting the dealer to do my first one, hopefully it won't be some 'punk' but probably will be. I'm going to do another oil change at 1000 miles so the 600 mile one will be the first flush! I'm getting the dealer to do it so there are no issues with warranty etc. but want to change it again so I know whats actually in it. I'm always suspicious that the guys in the dealership chuck in any old crap and keep the good oil for themselves or eBay!!
No problem! I have a hard time trusting dealerships around here any more, I've had problems with several of them on both my cars and bikes. The first/last time I took my CBR250R to the shop for initial service, they apparently filled it up while it was on the kick-stand, and charged me 90 bucks to boot! I wondered why the bike felt a bit more sluggish than usual on the ride home.. I ended up draining about a third of a quart of excess oil out of the thing. Needless to say I won't be going back there!

Oh, and here you go

2013 CBR500R ABS - MAH BABY
2014 Mazda3s - For when it's cold outside
post #13 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Now that IS nice!

I sold mine 12 years ago and have regretted it every day since - especially when the prices shot up!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All pictures 131.jpg (263.1 KB, 55 views)
Natrix, t0ad and Punisher9113 like this.

post #14 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:58 PM

ceebs500 "My sentiments exactly, Ollie!" Stan Laurel.

When you do it yourself you have only yourself to blame/congratulate! I did not have a torque wrench that would handle the small values for the little Ninja. That was the first tool I bought to accommodate the new bike.

Will you have to ride the bike back to Jolly Olde England? If so, pick a fun route if you have the time. I don't need much of an excuse to go for a ride. I do lots of solo exploratory rides.
RobonHood likes this.

Have bike. Will travel.

2013 Honda CB500XA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Ninja 250
2008 Kawasaki KLR-650 (almost forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1983 Honda XL-185S
1969 Penton 125cc (KTM frame Sachs motor)
1969 Honda CB-350
1967 Honda CL-175 (Insurance replacement for S-90)
1966 Honda S-90 (Totaled into 1964 Mustang)

1978 Pearl White Bianchi 15 speed

Rob
post #15 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

Rob, I'm in England - in fact I never been to the USA even though I've had a couple of your great muscle cars!

I too like to do a lot of solo rides, you can go at your own pace, stop when you want etc. I think Scotland beckons for the X!!
post #16 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebs500 View Post

Same worries here about first service bein done by someone who dont care, worse so as with valve check I guess nearly all fairing will have to come off etc
So expect fudged or missing fasteners, had similar issues on a Ducati 748 years ago expected more as it cost a fortune to service to!

I think best take it in clean and shiny then atleast spot any scratches etc to then.

Thanks

Lee

CBR500r Tri-colour ABS

Last edited by lee1980; 05-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.
post #17 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ad View Post
Oh, and here you go
Love the color.
post #18 of 152 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
DkD

Great write up there..

Only thing I would do is take off the oil filler cap prior to undoing the drain bolt. That way it won't allow any potential pressure or oil drain lag when oil is coming out.

Love the plastic bag trick - will definitely be giving that a go.

Don't mess with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #19 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM

cant wait to do it.
post #20 of 152 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Good write-up.
But what is this blasphemy, posting cars on bike forums!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page