Keyless seat/seat cowl reinstall 2016 model - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Keyless seat/seat cowl reinstall 2016 model

I was tired to have to turn off the engine every time i needed to put the rear seat/cowl back on.
So i modified the latch so i can push the seat back down without the ignition key.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.JPG (360.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1655.JPG (398.2 KB, 42 views)
alexantao likes this.

Fred
2016 CB500FA Black
Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM

on the 2016 model you need to have the key in to push the seat back in? on the 2013 - 2015 models you can do it without the key, you only need the key to open it ...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Garage
I don't get it.
Ben likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
on the 2016 model you need to have the key in to push the seat back in? on the 2013 - 2015 models you can do it without the key, you only need the key to open it ...
I noticed, when I was working on my 2016 model, that you need to use the key to refit the seat.

I initially thought that was a bad idea, until I remembered a friend accidentally locking his keys as well as his disc lock under the seat of his bike...
alexantao likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I noticed, when I was working on my 2016 model, that you need to use the key to refit the seat.

I initially thought that was a bad idea, until I remembered a friend accidentally locking his keys as well as his disc lock under the seat of his bike...
i understand the reasoning, just didn't know they have changed it as no one mentioned it sofar i think ... either way, now i know, maybe it would be possible to use the locking mechanism from the older models / newer models depending on what you want to do if they didn't change it too much ... (i have no idea if @Fred450 used the same approach or if he created something entirely custom)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
i understand the reasoning, just didn't know they have changed it as no one mentioned it sofar i think ... either way, now i know, maybe it would be possible to use the locking mechanism from the older models / newer models depending on what you want to do if they didn't change it too much ... (i have no idea if @Fred450 used the same approach or if he created something entirely custom)
All i did was to cut off the hook part on the latch, i know the colour of the metal make it look like a all new part but its only diffrent lighting, the sun was setting at the time.
They moved the keyhole location from the side to just behind your butt on the 2016.

@ Glen
And yes i can lock my key under the seat the same way i can lock my car keys in my car really.Im not to worry about that.

But 90% of the time i unlock the seat start the bike and let it warm up a bit while i put on the rest of my gear on, then i grab my gloves witch i keep under the seat, trow my phone and walet in there push the seat back down and off i go.

Last edited by Fred450; 01-02-2017 at 08:47 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
I don't get it.
That makes 2 of us.

2016 CBR500RA MATTE BLACK
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Garage
You don't need the key to reinstall the seat/cowl, it just makes it easier. I applied a little moly grease to the edge of the striker - no more resistance when slapping the seat back on.

2016 CB500FA - "Lacy"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
You don't need the key to reinstall the seat/cowl, it just makes it easier. I applied a little moly grease to the edge of the striker - no more resistance when slapping the seat back on.
What year is your bike?

Edit: Never mind just saw your signature.

Did you try with the key out of lock, cause it will push down no problem as long as the key is in the barrel and let the lock turn.

Last edited by Fred450; 01-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Garage
I Have a 2016 model and my seat cowl does not close if the key is not inserted and turned.
I did try whiout the key, did not force too much because I was afraid to break something.

Initially I found this a good ideia, but thinking about the problem of forgeting the keys inside made me like the way it is....

--
Alex
CBR500R 2016 Model
Black/Orange

Last edited by alexantao; 01-05-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page