How-To: Install BKMoto HIDs, LED strips & Angel eyes - CBR500R - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

How-To: Install BKMoto HIDs, LED strips & Angel eyes - CBR500R

(Just an FYI this is a work in progress, was unsure if I can change the title later.. so didn't add "W.I.P.")

Hey guys,

I figured i'd start off by listing out the process i'll follow and will add more information, videos, images as applicable. I have included the sections found in the service manual [ ex: (2-16) ] and paraphrased the disassembly instructions. The majority of the assembly process is just the disassembly in reverse. You don't have to follow this, it just might help some new to bike work and/or mods. Though I can't stress this mod is NOT for the squeamish or timid. You will be disassembling much of your bike and placing your headlight assembly in your home oven or baking it with a heat gun!!

Do proceed with caution. I am not responsible for any mis-use, injury, death, pissed wives, burnt ovens,
melted headlights, severed fingers or any other undesirable results from following this guide.

For a quick recap. I will be installing the BKMoto 6000k HID kit for the 500r that was just released (in Late August 2013) with white angel eyes front/back. Blue led strips (maybe) and blue or white LED bulb in the forward upper light pod.

TIP: I HIGHLY recommend you buy the service manual, the diagrams and disassemly/assembly guides are priceless.

Editor Note: More images will be added

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Initial Steps

1. Remove the rear seat (2-6)

Put key in, pop off (simplest thing you'll do all day!)

Remove the front seat (2-6)

Remove two bolts and pull seat off

Remove side cover (2-7)

Remove the trim clip and socket bolt. Release the 2 grommets from the bosses of the rear cowl, and two tabs from the footpeg bracket and rear cowl

Remove the middle cowls (2-8)

Remove the trim clips, socket bolt and 3 setting socket bolts. Release the snap fit clip, release the hook/loop fastening. Release the meter panel and middle cowl from the bolt hole stud on the fuel tank. Press the meter panel inward and relase the 6 side tabs while spreading the the middle cowl slightly. Release the 3 front tabs and the turn signal light 3P connector.

Remove meter panel (2-11)

First, remove the mirrors. Remove the band clip from the meter panel. Disconnect the front sub-wire harness 4P (Black) and 12P (Black) connectors. Cover the front fender from scratching/denting!! Loosen the lower mounting nut of the cowl stay. Remove the upper mounting nut and the bolt then the rest the front cowl assembly on the fender. Position the front cowl assembly so the meter panel doesn't mess with the handlebars.

Remove front cowl (2-13)

Hold the front cowl assemlby and remove the cowl stay lower mounting nut and bolt. Then remove it.

Remove windscreen (2-16)

Too many steps to paraphrase, see image:

Remove headlight assembly (21-5)

At this point you should have removed the front cowl/windscreen assembly. If not, go do that now. Next, remove the headlight 4P (Black) connector from the stay and disconnect it. Remove the 6mm washer-bolt (lower) and two 5mm washer-bolts (upper)

Additional disassembly, not "required"

N/A

Be sure to keep all the bolts, washers, grommets, clips, fasterers and other parts in a safe location. I like to mark each section on a zip-lock and place the items in there for safe keeping.

As of right now 12 pm EST on Saturday August 31st 2013 i'm still waiting for my HIDs to be delivered. Once that happens i'll continue with this guide. Until then happy modding and let me know if you have any questions.

Matt

loserlazer, t0ad, TripleA and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bikes, Guns and other stuff

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/ My Company:

2013 Honda CBR500R - Red
HID headlight retrofit (DIY), Two Bros Black Edition Slip-on, LED custom blinkers

My Guides:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Updates time. The HIDs arrived from BKMoto. Once I had some free time I began the install process by disassembling the bike, taking out the headlights, baking them (oven method) and painting the reflectors. Here is each of those steps in more detail.

1. Take all the fairings, front, dash and windscreen off. See first post in this thread for more details on that procedure.

2. Take out the headlight from the front-end. Remove the bracket from the holder on the frontend assembly.

3. Remove all of the wires from the headlight assembly. Don't want to melt them in the oven. Just apply a little force and squeeze the rubber gasket to pull it off. Then feed the wires out and pop the headlight in the oven.

4. Turn on the oven and pre-heat to 225˚ Fahrenheit. Then turn the oven off, pop in the headlight and set a timer for 8 minutes. Its better to bake it multiple times at lower temps than less at higher. I did it about 4 times in total, though the first time I wasted "cooling time" by gathering up gloves and closing the oven, etc. In all it wasn't bad, just move swiftly but carefully. No need to rush.

5. At this point you should have the headlights pulled apart. Like shown:

6. Paint the headlight using High Temp spray paint, you can find it at most home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc...). I don't have any pictures of the headlight painting process as I was running out of daylight. If I get a chance once I take out the projectors i'll shoot some photos.

7. This last step should have been done BEFORE painting. Live and learn. Test fit the HIDs projectors and prepare for drilling.

8. Drill two small holes right below the opening in the back of the headlight housing on each side. Doesn't have too be too big, just enough to fit the angel eyes and projector wires.

Note: I did use the Ghost to record the fairing removal process and some other parts, once I get a minute i'll look over the footage and see if any of it is useful.

To be continued...

Matt

Twitter:
/ My Company:

2013 Honda CBR500R - Red
HID headlight retrofit (DIY), Two Bros Black Edition Slip-on, LED custom blinkers

My Guides:

post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:39 PM

This is an awesome post Matt.
mkeefe likes this.

2013 CB500F White

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Yes Matt, this is great. Watching closely for the rest of the project and finished product.

A question with regard to 'baking' the headlights; you mention that you did this 4 times? Did you let the headlight cool in between? Remove if from the oven at all? Or just reheat with the headlights still in there?

Cheers, and looking forward to more tips!
mkeefe likes this.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will be updating more soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
A question with regard to 'baking' the headlights; you mention that you did this 4 times? Did you let the headlight cool in between? Remove if from the oven at all? Or just reheat with the headlights still in there?
As the glue continues to cool it gets stiff and the risk of breaking the housing is much higher. After each round of baking i'd work the glue and separate parts of the housing. Then once it cooled i'd bake it once again. I repeated this process about 4 times.

Don't be *too* afraid to pull it apart but use common sense and standard pressure. Don't use any jerking or quick movements. Also be careful not to break the clips off. While they are holding the entire housing together they do help!

Matt

Twitter:
/ My Company:

2013 Honda CBR500R - Red

My Guides:

post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

thanks man.
good job!
after this thread, i feel like i will never touch my headlights though.
progenitor likes this.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM

No wonder this is going to cost me so much money to install! hah!

Looks great! So whats the update?
mkeefe likes this.

Born to ride.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Hey mate, got a photo of the projector by itself?

Sold the cbr, bought a green KLX, must ... resist ... to ... paint ... it ... black!
Wrecked the KLX, bought several other bikes.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Although I am sure this will be covered in your *update* How are the projectors held level, attached to the headlight and adjusted?

I have an F and this really doesn't concern me but I'm truly curious ;P
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

@bodessia - Not on their own, but I will take one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakdWhtnonABS View Post
Although I am sure this will be covered in your *update* How are the projectors held level, attached to the headlight and adjusted?
The projector sits flush against the reflector housing. There is a nut to tighten up the fit and you can spin the projector to align it more though on its own its about 95% good. You can also use the existing headlight aiming on the headlight assembly.

Twitter:
/ My Company:

2013 Honda CBR500R - Red

My Guides:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page