How-To: Install flush-mount LED front turn signals on the CBR500R - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

How-To: Install flush-mount LED front turn signals on the CBR500R

Hello all, I'm back again for another DIY walkthrough .. and today we'll be installing some flush-mount front turn signals on the CBR500R, because those front signals are (imho!) just plain ugly. So, let's dig in!

Things needed:

Razorblade
Heatshrink tubing and/or electrical tape
10mm socket wrench
Patience (optional)

First off, acquire some cheap Chinese LED turn signals from ebay for 10 bucks. I chose the very exclusive YINGHAO MONSTER ENERGY ones.

Next, take off one of your fairings. (Go check out my how-to on that project, it's not that hard I swear) Remove the rubber boot to get to the 10mm nut holding on the stock signal.

Take that little guy off and then pull the signal out while working the stock wiring through the various bends and holes. Cut off the factory connector from the signal and leave a fair-sized section of the stock wiring in tact. Splice the wiring from your new signal together like so:

Note the factory wiring (Thanks to Darrenbie on here for the info!):

Orange is left side, Blue is right
Orange/Blue Solid = Positive
Green = Ground
Orange/Blue Stripe = Daytime Running function

Now, I didn't bother with the daytime running function, so I'm not entirely sure how you'd figure that one into the equation here. I would imagine that you would just splice it together with the solid wire, but I'm no electrical engineer. Anyway, I merely stripped the wires back a bit, twisted the mess together, and then used heatshrink tubing to secure them together. I then wrapped them in some electrical tape for good measure, so hopefully that will keep any moisture out of there.

As you can see here, these particular signals barely worked due to the length of the mounting bolt on them coupled with how deeply the mounting point on the fairing is recessed. I wasn't about to bother sending them back to Hong Kong though, so I made them work.

Now, just slap the wiring back together and get that fairing back on there! One side done:

And all done. From head-on:

No more whiskers!

Marvel at how having flush-mounted signals has increased your bike's coolness factor by at least 20%.

Now with up to 13.5% more sportiness! Is sportiness even a word? Oh who cares.

Glorious.

SO, what are our conclusions on this project? Well, I personally love the new look, muuuuuch sleeker. The project doesn't come without its drawbacks, however. I didn't bother with wiring in any resistors, so the bike thinks the bulbs are out and thus the blinkers go at double-speed. IMHO, I think this is fine. I don't know about anyone else, but I find myself taking special notice of blinkers on vehicles going twice as fast as normal, it's sort of a bug-to-the-light effect I guess .. hopefully other drivers have the same curiosity that I do. Lastly, there's the visibility aspect. Yes, they're not as noticeable head-on as stock, but you'll just have to make the decision yourself as to whether or not you're okay with that in the name of better looks. As you can tell from my head-on shot, they're still quite there, so I think it'll be alright.

As always, good luck and ride on!

2013 CBR500R ABS - MAH BABY
2014 Mazda3s - For when it's cold outside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM

I did the same but without removing the fairings. Used the same LEDs. They look pretty good.

Nice job men.... By the way, your bike looks extremely clean. Go ride that baby and get some dirt on it

Ride Safe....
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Haha, the color and the camera hide the dirt pretty well. 4 months and 2000 miles and I've only washed her once!
Darrenbie likes this.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

So i went looking for the turn signal relay out of curiosity today since I believe I found an LED-compatible one that would be a simple swap, but I can't for the life of me find it. The ugly low-res Honda diagram of the wiring harness isn't really helping, it just looks like it's somewhere up on the right side under the fairing .. but all I see up there is a block of 4 other relays, nothing like what the pictures of the OEM signal relay look like. Anyone know where it is?

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM

Did you ever figure out where the relay was? I can't figure it out either.

2013 CBR500R Tri-Color
Brake-Switched LED Accents | Flush LED Front Indicators
Long Black Adjustable Levers | X-Grip Phone Fork Stem Mount
Soon: BKMoto HID Kit | Slip-On
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 PM

Flasher location Kindly supplied by one mkeefe

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/ho...html#post64433
mkeefe and GranSkyline like this.

Current: 2014 Ducati 899 Panigale (Red)
Previous: 2013 CBR500RA (Black) SOLD

The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Add this to your signature to show your love for black bikes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Live in Sydney, Australia? Then visit

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Link to order signals I've searched eBay and can't locate them
Jimmy likes this.

Steelnation6
2013 CBR 500R ABS
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 02:51 AM

@Steelnation6: New 2X Motorcycle 11LED Turn Signals Indicator Flush Mount Light Amber | eBay These are the clear ones, though I know there are smoked ones out there too
@Genie: Thanks! Now I wish I could get to my bike right now. I know what I'll be doing Sunday though!
atorres05 likes this.

2013 CBR500R Tri-Color
Brake-Switched LED Accents | Flush LED Front Indicators
Long Black Adjustable Levers | X-Grip Phone Fork Stem Mount
Soon: BKMoto HID Kit | Slip-On
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 AM

OR....

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnation6 View Post
Link to order signals I've searched eBay and can't locate them
http://my.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:ME:LNLK:MEWAX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page