Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

How-To: Install flush-mount LED front turn signals on the CBR500R

61K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  wuso 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm back again for another DIY walkthrough .. and today we'll be installing some flush-mount front turn signals on the CBR500R, because those front signals are (imho!) just plain ugly. So, let's dig in!

Things needed:

Razorblade
Heatshrink tubing and/or electrical tape
10mm socket wrench
Patience (optional)

First off, acquire some cheap Chinese LED turn signals from ebay for 10 bucks. I chose the very exclusive YINGHAO MONSTER ENERGY ones.

Next, take off one of your fairings. (Go check out my how-to on that project, it's not that hard I swear) Remove the rubber boot to get to the 10mm nut holding on the stock signal.

Take that little guy off and then pull the signal out while working the stock wiring through the various bends and holes. Cut off the factory connector from the signal and leave a fair-sized section of the stock wiring in tact. Splice the wiring from your new signal together like so:

Note the factory wiring (Thanks to Darrenbie on here for the info!):

Orange is left side, Blue is right
Orange/Blue Solid = Positive
Green = Ground
Orange/Blue Stripe = Daytime Running function

Now, I didn't bother with the daytime running function, so I'm not entirely sure how you'd figure that one into the equation here. I would imagine that you would just splice it together with the solid wire, but I'm no electrical engineer. Anyway, I merely stripped the wires back a bit, twisted the mess together, and then used heatshrink tubing to secure them together. I then wrapped them in some electrical tape for good measure, so hopefully that will keep any moisture out of there.

As you can see here, these particular signals barely worked due to the length of the mounting bolt on them coupled with how deeply the mounting point on the fairing is recessed. I wasn't about to bother sending them back to Hong Kong though, so I made them work.

Now, just slap the wiring back together and get that fairing back on there! One side done:

And all done. From head-on:

No more whiskers!

Marvel at how having flush-mounted signals has increased your bike's coolness factor by at least 20%.

Now with up to 13.5% more sportiness! Is sportiness even a word? Oh who cares.

Glorious.

SO, what are our conclusions on this project? Well, I personally love the new look, muuuuuch sleeker. The project doesn't come without its drawbacks, however. I didn't bother with wiring in any resistors, so the bike thinks the bulbs are out and thus the blinkers go at double-speed. IMHO, I think this is fine. I don't know about anyone else, but I find myself taking special notice of blinkers on vehicles going twice as fast as normal, it's sort of a bug-to-the-light effect I guess .. hopefully other drivers have the same curiosity that I do. Lastly, there's the visibility aspect. Yes, they're not as noticeable head-on as stock, but you'll just have to make the decision yourself as to whether or not you're okay with that in the name of better looks. As you can tell from my head-on shot, they're still quite there, so I think it'll be alright.

As always, good luck and ride on!

See less See more
#35 ·
Flushmount

Got the flushmounts, had trouble figuring how to mount, saw killers post

You have to remove bulb, drill 10mm size hole, find a bolt that has a small head (have to fit a lightbulb in there somewhere), and use pre existing holes to mount, with washers and nuts

Wiring was garbage, i cut off stock to headlight connecter and rewired from instructions in previous post

will post pictures when i put everything together this weekend.

#36 ·
This is how I did mine

Clean, simple and inexpensive. Here is a video of the finished product along with switchback leds: Custom Flush Mount Signals

Also, make sure you put blue locktite on the screw holes indicated.

Attachments

#37 ·
Nick2
Nice work. I just picked up a pair of the clear flush mounts. I am going to start with the plug and play version first... But I am curious... Did you use the tape at all? Also I think I read on one of the posts that you ordered the led flasher relay from Honda. How did that work out?
Thanks

#40 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I was search youtube and found an interesting Flush mount tutorial with a turn signal made for CBR500R. They are beautiful (specially the smoked ones) and clean, very easy to install. Can't say the same for the Flasher Relay, since we have to take off the fuel tank for that. But I liked a lot the clean solution they found. I think it would be easier to install resistors inside the turn signals.
Since I still can't insert links to my posts, I'll put here the video titles. Search them on youtube:

Flash signal Instalation: How to install LED Flushmount Turn Signals on a Honda CBR500R by TST Industries

Flasher Relay Installation: How to install an LED Flasher Relay on a Honda CBR500R by TST Industries

Prices:
  • Flushmount LED: 14,99
  • Plug Converter for Honda: $5,99
  • LED FLASHER RELAY: $24.99

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.