Mixing coolant?? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By blipco
  • 1 Post By Scoot
  • 1 Post By blipco

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Mixing coolant??

I noticed today that my coolant level is on the low side. I want to top up and I already have a bottle of Cyclelogic Engine Ice (blue coolant). Can I mix this with the factory fluid and top up?

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 12k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:32 PM

you can just use distilled water to top it off, as far as i know, the factory fluid should be mixed for about -40C ( same on the silly scale of F ) i doubt you will be riding, much below -10 C ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 PM

When I got my bike it was low on coolant also.
I went to the Yamaha shop and bought a quart of their Yamaha brand coolant.
The salesman said they use it in all the different brand bike that they service.
I trust their opinion, a family owned dealership, been in business for decades.
So I topped off the 500 with that.
Which ever Motorcycle brand you buy, they are already premixed and ready to use.

2016 CB500F
2013 Burgman 650
2010 Triumph Bonneville
Riding since 1967

Live to ride, or
Live to pose.
Your odometer shows!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
you can just use distilled water to top it off, as far as i know, the factory fluid should be mixed for about -40C ( same on the silly scale of F ) i doubt you will be ridingnl, much below -10 C ...
This is what I will do for now. I'll do a complete flush and fill before my trip to the mountains. Thanks!

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 12k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Garage
My bike was low when I got it. I top it off with some distilled water.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM

I thought Engine Ice was a coolant additive but not a coolant itself. IDK. Maybe I'm thinking of Water Wetter?

My coolant level was going down. It turned out to be a faulty water pump. I reached under the pump and touched the weep hole and it was wet.
chzeckmate likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Engine ice is not supposed to be mixed with other coolants. As far as what kind of coolant to put in, as long as it is aluminum compatible you are golden.
chzeckmate likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Engine ice is not supposed to be mixed with other coolants. As far as what kind of coolant to put in, as long as it is aluminum compatible you are golden.
Right, and no silicates. And never use Dex Cool.
chzeckmate likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page