Brand new bike rough riding - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Brand new bike rough riding

So I just got a new 2016 cbr500r a few weeks ago as my first bike, and I'm finding that the bike is running really rough between 3-5k rpms. Obviously, I'm still in the breaking in period so I try not to ride it harder than that. The best way I can describe what I'm experiencing, is that it feels like a tractor or maybe even a go-cart. The exhaust has a low rumble that sounds more like a gurgle and not your typical higher pitched whine you normally hear on a bike. I've watched tons of videos before buying it, all saying how smooth everything is, but I'm just not feeling it. Am I just driving it to easy right now? What's the sweets spot WRT rpm's that I should be driving it at? Do you think it'll smooth out after breaking it in? I'm just confused because I don't see anyone else talking about this and I feel it's pretty annoying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 PM

Garage
Is the bike still under warranty ? if so, take it to the Dealer.

The engine on mine has a strong vibration at 7k RPMs when slowing down but otherwise it is pretty smooth between 3k and 5k.

have you tried a fuel system cleaner, like Techron or SeaFoam ?

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 AM

It should not be running rough at all. New bikes might have a different sound for a time, but it should not be running rough.
Is the rough feeling there all the time, or just when you are changing up/down a gear?

If you're not happy with it, just contact/take it back to your dealer. I wouldn't start putting stuff in it or tinkering with it if it is still under warranty. Some fuel "cleaners" can damage some injectors. One of the reasons you pay a premium for a new bike after all is the after support :-)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 AM

Garage
At 3-5 rpms these bikes wont scream and do sound a bit like a go cart / tractor. I agree with the above comments - take it back and compare it to another bike. Dont f*** with it first.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
It is pretty smooth between 3k and 5k
Same for mine

“If there is a solution, why do you worry? If there is not a solution, why do you worry?” Aristoteles
“I'll feel old only five minutes before I die” F.Califano
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I guess I wasn't really looking for it scream but maybe my expectations are off. I few other things I'm noticing is that 1st and 2nd gear are very jerky and I'm not dumping the clutch, 3rd and on are fine. Lastly, along with the go-cart sound/feel I feel like the bike is struggling. I'm not a small guy at 240lbs but on the highway going about 60mph in 6th at around 5k rpms, she feels like she's under a lot of stress. I almost can't imagine it going 90mph with overheating or something. So idk, I'm a new rider so maybe my expectations are off, maybe it's underpowered for my size, or maybe something is just wrong with.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM

I weigh 200 Lbs & on trips trips carry 70 lbs of camping gear & have my 500F runs fine. At speeds over 70mph there is my noise from air intake. After I switch to synthetic oil ,gear shifts & motor are smoother.
Take it to the dealer. On new bikes some people change their oil @ 100 miles and another time before the first 600 miles.
I change mine @ 150 miles then @ 575 miles then every 2000 miles . I use Royal Purple 10/30w Max cycle Synthetic oil for the last 3000 miles.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM

You're pretty good sized for this bike. It sounds to me that you may be in too high of a gear and you're lugging the engine.
Give it a try in a lower gear and see how it feels.
Jamco likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Hmm... Is this your first ever bike? Have you driven cars for years?

If yes to both then read on. If no, then probably forget this post!
I can understand exactly what you are feeling if you answered yes to both. I felt the same when I first started riding. Motorcycle engines sound and feel much more "laboured" than car engines. But so long as it is still pulling, and not red lining in the rev counter you are fine.

I found I was shifting up the gears far too early when I first started riding, as I though the engine was making "too much noise" and needed to be put up a gear. In fact, I was just forcing it to be in too low a gear. Bare in mind for many bikes, 1st gear can get you to speeds of 30mph with ease. Riding around a city, 4th gear is probably the highest you want to be in, I normally stay in 3rd.
When I took the new cb500f out for a test ride, top gear was only ever used once I had reached 70mph and was cruising along. Tended to stay in 4th or 5th until then. I did find the exhaust uncomfortably quiet to be fair, especially when up to speed. I do wear ear plugs however so that would have been dulling it even more.

As Blipco suggests, try dropping down a gear, or not shifting up them early and see how you get on. When you twist the throttle, even slightly, the bike should pull with ease. If it doesn't then you are in too high a gear for your speed/terrain.
Spiro Anagnostakos and blipco like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Get a Scooter or a motorcycle with DCT >LOL<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page