Upgrade? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Upgrade?

I currently own a cbr500r and was looking around at new bikes hoping for your guys opinion, is it even worth upgrading to a cbr600r or even a cbr650f? If not what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 AM

What does your CBR500R not do that makes you want a bigger/different bike?

Rick
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Garage
Book a test ride and see.

The CBR500R is the kind of bike you start out on or move back to after riding lots of other stuff. It depends where you are in your biking career whether you'll be happy with it for long.

If it's any consolation, I've got over thirty years of biking behind me and am very happy with my CBR500R, but I still find myself thinking "hmmm... I wonder if..." when I look at other options.

Life is short. If you fancy a change, make one. I think the CBR650F is more of a step up from the CBR500R, whereas the CBR600RR is a leap into different territory entirely.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
I'm about at the same point as Glen on this thing. Many years of riding and I'm enjoying the ease of riding with the 500.

I don't think anyone can make that decision for you.

Myself I like the MPG and the safety margin I get out of this bike on twisty roads. It's just so easy to ride and forgiving.

It's easy to get in over your head with higher displacement bikes on twisty stuff. Often the xtra power never end up use much anyway.
blipco likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Garage
i'm waiting for the new 2017 yamaha r6 to become available for demo before i decide between it and a 2013-2015 cbr600rr abs. i demoed the cbr600rr abs a few months ago and liked it.

also, although the cbr500r abs is my first bike, i've had it for almost 2 years and put over 22,000 miles on it, and i am sure that i have not reached it's handling limits. i am in no rush to upgrade but i know i eventually will. i am signed up and paid for TOTAL CONTROL ARC level 1 in 2 weeks, and i definitely wanted to take that additional training before i jumped to a more powerful, more focused ride.
sonicboom likes this.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieCase View Post
I currently own a cbr500r and was looking around at new bikes hoping for your guys opinion, is it even worth upgrading to a cbr600r or even a cbr650f? If not what would you recommend?
I just upgraded from a CBR500R to a CBR650F. For me, it was the best decision I could've made. I moved from a bike that I enjoyed very much to one I absolutely love. The 650F doesn't make quite the power that the 600RR does, but you'll find that it's ergonomically very similar to your 500. And at nearly double the horsepower, the difference in acceleration between it and the 500 is like night and day.

If you get a chance, take one for a spin. At the very least, visit your Honda dealer and sit on both the 650F and the 600RR.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"

Last edited by Karl Hungus; 04-14-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:36 PM

Garage
This is why a couple times I've end up with 6 motorcycles in my garage.

About what I did with women back in my 20's. Something walk by with a different tail tidy kit and I was on it.
Droman1972 likes this.

Last edited by sonicboom; 03-30-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 PM

Tsk, tsk. Sure glad I lived through my 20s. Took me a long time to realize slow and steady was a whole lot better in the long run than hot and fast.

Rick
jsonder and Rajuur like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 PM

Garage
I agree with Glen & Karl. I too have been riding for nearly 30 years and own 3 bikes. By far my CBR500R is the easiest to ride out of the 3. It is comfortable, light and doesn't feel like it is going to get you in trouble. To me it's like a loving faithful dog willing to play when you want, but won't bite your hand off. My CBR600 on the other hand? I love the bike to death, and even though it's 20 years old, 110hp is still ALLOT of power in a light bike. The main difference between the 2 is simple, I can go canyon carving on the 500R, wind the engine out and never once feel like I am going to wrap myself around the next tree. If I get the 600 over nine grand on the tach...I better know where the heck I am pointing that thing cause it will be there in 3 seconds. I think that the 650F is a more logical choice if you want a proper step up. I took one of them for a ride and it is like a CBR500R that spent a year at the gym training and drinking protein powder. The ergos are very similar and all day comfortable. A 600RR? That's more like the 500R did a few cycles of roids and spent a year MMA training. It will kick some major buttocks, but it can kick yours too. Fast.
sonicboom likes this.

13' CBR500RA - 97' CBR600F3 - 85' VF500 Interceptor
CBR500RA Mods:
Racetech Fork Springs & Emulators
CBR600F4 Rear Shock Powerbronze Rear Hugger
Corbin Custom Seat IXIL Slip-On Exhaust

Last edited by Droman1972; 03-30-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage
The Z650 puts out a nice 68 HP, which is probably better for mountain riding. The price break is about a thousand bucks between the Honda and the Kawasaki.

I notice they have some really good deals going on with financing.

I wonder how the ergos compare between the two bikes and then the MPG's.

From pictures the ergos look a little more compact on the Kawasaki. I may need to go sit on one and check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page