Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Fixing wrecked cbr 500r

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, unfortunately I had my first wreck riding a motorcycle, it was on my brand new CBR500R with less than 800 miles?. Didn't sustain too big of injuries. Possibly a fracture in my foot (hopefully not because I don't want to be in a cast and it keep me from riding) anyhow I have a little time to fix it and I have a couple questions.
1.) After turning the key back on the speedo/tac display won't come on. What could be wrong there?
2.) Looking for the best place to buy good replacement parts without breaking the bank. I need front footpeg, shifter lever, the whole back foot peg "assembly" and front and back turn signals as well as the engine cover. All left side parts (luckily not right side... don't feel like replacing an exhaust lol).
Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks.
--2015 CBR500R

#2 ·
I've been through that some times ago. Same side as you. I was so sad.
I live in Europe so I cannot help you but it is wise to have your bike checked by a Honda dealer before parts replacements if possible.
To be sure there is no internal damage (frame, electoical wire etc.).

#3 ·
You need to strip off all the plastics and inspect the frame for damage. Look at the welds and if you see the paint has cracked then you have serious damage. Check alignment as well.
You didn't describe in detail your crash but it didn't sound too bad so frame damage is unlikely. But you have to check it.

#4 ·
There are 2 easy ways to buy parts: on EBay and from an Internet Honda site.
Be sure to check the prices on a Honda site before buying from EBay becasue some sellers want too much for their used parts.

The Internet Honda parts sites vary in the discount and the shipping charges so it is difficult to say which is the cheapest every time.
I buy from Honda Parts Finder | Honda Parts Direct Palestine, TX (888) 446-6325
and Genuine Honda Parts & Accessories | Honda Parts Direct Palestine, TX (888) 446-6325

and EBay cbr500r | eBay

Good luck with the repair.

Check all fuses by replacing them to see if any are bad.

#11 ·
check all the fuses under the seat... there is a fuse that has all the lighting on it.

for parts i use partzilla.com . they have diagrams and part numbers for pretty much the entire bike, w/ consistently low prices for OE HONDA parts plus free shipping over $150 to contiguous US.

#13 ·
I'm not being a smart ass, but if you crashed so soon, maybe just repair the essentials and don't worry about the cosmetics as you might drop the bike again. My first bike i crashed twice and a friend then wrote off after i fixed everything! I had an old Toyota seca which my ex wrote off insurance wise, but bcs i loved the car i got it all fixed up. Quite liberating driving a vehicle and not having to worry about people dinging it in car parks etc. My ex then wrote it off again properly.

#14 ·
I wrecked too recently, and by that I mean a drunk driver in a pick up truck hit my.. YUP left side, why is it always left for us?
Still waiting to see if it is totaled or not.
Glad you weren't hurt too bad I hope the repairs go well.

Knowing my luck my bike is not totaled but damaged enough to not be worth fixing. we'll see what insurance does there.

Also, like you. I had low miles on it. take pics/vids of all your repairs could be fun to watch (And help me repair mine if it isn't totaled)

#17 ·
Unfortunately, the "hassle" of doing your own maintenance is a big part of being a competent motorcyclist. Understanding how things work makes riding more rewarding (at least for me).

I understand that if you are coming from a ground zero mechanical skill set, repairing a badly damage bike is not something that you should be doing. However, learning to do the basics like chain maintenance, oil, brake fluid, coolant and fork fluid changes, brake pad replacements, etc., gets you in touch with the bike and how it is working.

Reactions: ooreelaxoo
#18 ·
The basics I was working on, wen out and spent a fortune on tools so I could learn on my bike slowly.
THIS however, yeah, no real knowledge yet so this is way over my head.
Got a call from the insurance today and she is totaled so I don't have to worry about trying to jump in on stuff I don't know yet.

Any update/pics on the repairs yet? I'm eargerly waiting as I can't do anything myself yet, stuck in bed or a wheel chair.
I hope you can get her running as good as new.

#19 ·
Most bikes get totaled by the insurance companies especially if the frame gets scratched because the frame itself would need to be repaired to put the bike right.
That would mean dissembling the bike to the bare frame and doing the repairs and paint. Especially if the frame is aluminum (the CB is steel). Then reassembling it. Too labor intensive. They would rather total it out then jack up your rates for a bunch of years. Nice guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.