Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Let the mods begin!

19K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  BigTurbo21 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

So after doing my first service, I've realised you can't ride a stock bike for long.

Thus far I have fitted an OEM Seat Cowl and Dunlop Q3 tyres.

Next on the list is a Yoshimura R77 slip-on.

Will post some pics and vids soon!

#3 ·
My R came with a LV slip-on which I liked, but I replaced it with a Akra slip-on with a bigger body.
It sounds better and is not louder without the baffle than the LV with a 1,25" dia baffle.
I recommend spending some money on good tires! ;)

#5 ·
It has to be modded BEFORE I can ride it!

Hi all,

So after about 1000kms, I've realised you can't ride a stock bike for long.

Here's my list...

Delkovic Shorty Slip-On
R&G Tail Tidy
OEM Seat Cowl
Dunlop Q3 Tyres
PUIG Dark Smoke Race Screen
Oggy Knobbs

What you think?
I bet it looks nice! I started my mods with 2km on my CBR500r (bought new in November 2016). Oddly enough I still have 2km's on it...lol.

Fender Eliminator
Short clutch/brake levers
12v dual usb/cigarette lighter outlet
RAM Mount (Garmin Nüvi 5 LMT)
USA Flag Tank Protector
Removed that useless strap on the pillion seat
* getting an new slip on exhaust in January*

#6 ·
Sounds like a good couple of bikes. I bought a smashed one last June. Decided it needed to be raced.

Specs:
Vfr400r front end
Dual front callipers
R1 shock
Clip-ons
Rs250 Honda gp fairings
Carbon tipped slip-on
Quick turn throttle
Magura master cylinder
Fully adjustable rearsets
Set of Pirelli Supercorsas

Let me know what you lads think.

Apologies in advance if this isn't the place for race bikes but I thought I'd share

#8 · (Edited)
Sounds like a good couple of bikes. I bought a smashed one last June. Decided it needed to be raced.

Specs:
Vfr400r front end
Dual front callipers
R1 shock
Clip-ons
Rs250 Honda gp fairings
Carbon tipped slip-on
Quick turn throttle
Magura master cylinder
Fully adjustable rearsets
Set of Pirelli...
Was the front end swap a bolt right up or some 'massaging' required. I've been wondering about a swap like that more for shiggles than anything seeing as mines got emulators, preloaded, single rate springs and front brace already; it holds up pretty awesome as it is. Interested to compare how much of a difference the dual rotors for braking make too

#7 ·
Only things I've done thus far.

Tail tidy
Mirror extenders
front end brace
gear indicator (best thing so far)

Only other mods I would do maybe a front fender extender and a rear tire hugger thing.

Removed the rear strap from the rear seat, don't ride two up these days.

#9 ·
Mods for my CB500F 2016

New bike week before Xmas, so jumped straight in as usual:

Factory workshop manual(must have for all my bikes)
Combined rear hugger/chain guard
Puig sport screen
Radiator guard
R&G aero sliders
R&G engine covers
Gear position indicator
Centre stand
Bar risers

& maybe C-Bow kit & bags in the future, if I can still travel. Muffler is stock at the moment. I usually get some noise, but we're subject to so much surveillance here I'm hesitating this time.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I've got to ask...what's the deal with the gear indicator? I've seen several people comment here and there that it's a great add on, but I can't figure out why. What does it do for you? If it's for track use with a cluster cam I understand, but that's not what I'm seeing here. I can also see how a new rider might try to shift into 7th, but after a few thousand miles he'll intuitively know when he's in 6th. Can someone give me an example of when the indicator is useful? I think these things are bad for skill development and take your eyes off the road needlessly. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Smaug and Joriek
#12 ·
@chzeckmate the only example that comes to my mind is, that people don't downshift from second to first in higher revs ... first gear is geared quite differently than other ones and you could put some bigger stress n the engine when you do it often ...
1st 3.285
2nd 2.105
3rd 1.600
4th 1.300
5th 1.150
6th 1.043
so when you are somewhere close to 5000 in second and shift to first, it will jump up quite high ... that's the only application i see as useful ... i agree that after a while it shouldn't be a problem

#13 ·
I'm not sure I understand how the gear indicator helps with that. Also I can't imagine a scenario where someone would be thinking about downshifting from second to first while at 5k in second. It seems that rolling off the throttle would be the thing natural to do in that scenario.

#15 ·
I've been riding many different bikes for many years, but for some reason with this bike, especially on the mountain roads which are very twisty with elevation changes, I tend to lose track of what gear I'm in. Then on the freeway or an area that I get into 6th gear, I end up looking for 7th gear. SO for me it works just fine. I like this gear indicator a great deal on this bike.

The other bike I ride often, my Bonneville which is a 5 speed tranny, I always know what gear I'm in. I don't ever get lost in the gears on that bike, I can just feel it better for some reason then the Honda.

It could have something to do with the tach on the Honda. I prefer standard instruments. I really don't like this sweep graph crap. A needle give me a faster reference. This speedo thing with changing black numbers is just about a waste of my time. I don't have time to look down and figure it all out, the tach especially irritating to me. About the only thing on the bike I could probably find fault with. I'm just old stubborn and unwilling to change my old habits. You young bucks probably adjust to this modern instrumentation stuff better then me.

#24 ·
Got the Yoshi fitted and boy what a difference!
I kept the silencer in for back pressure and didn't want it too loud.
Sounds perfect and the sewing machine noise has gone.
I can definitely recommend this pipe to anyone.

Next on my list is the Yoshi Fender Eliminator.

#28 ·
'Popping' might actually indicate that there is an air leak / 'false air' getting sucked in. It can also mean that the fuel/air ratio isn't optimal. However if the popping isn't extremely loud then there won't be any harm done. I also have some popping on deceleration and I love it...
Perhaps you won’t get the maximum fuel efficiency / engine performance but since it doesn't do any harm (and I’m fond of the sound it makes) I'm not going to bother looking into it.

Basically, if the popping only happens when you release the throttle and it isn’t a very loud noise/bang you don’t have to worry about anything. If your popping does sound extremely loud, then you should check if the slip-on is mounted properly (not letting air in through the gaps) and/or try to determine whether your fuel/ratio and sparkplugs are fine.

I'm definitely not an expert though, so maybe someone else can provide some extra information on this matter?

#29 ·
The popping is from the PAIR system injecting air on deceleration for emissions purposes. Some like the popping, but if it bothers you, you can plug off the system. We do not have emissions testing where I live so that is not a factor, but if you were somewhere where you need to pass emissions it may fail you.

#32 ·
I blocked the PAIR intake tube coming into the air box on a CB1100 to eliminate the loud pop on deceleration. It worked like a charm.

#36 ·
So I have the following PUIG parts fitted:

-Grips
-Adjustable Levers
-Foot Pegs
-Dark Smoke Windscreen

LED Indicators are booked for this Friday.

The bike is looking mint! Love PUIG!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.