Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

New 2016 CBR500R

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  FlatMac 
#1 ·
Hey guys what's up. I just bought my very first bike which is the 2016 CBR500r. I come from a background of high performance cars as well as dirt bikes from along time ago. I love the bike so far but would like some input on what to do to the bike. I would like some more power and see what else you recommend. I already order the fender eliminator kit which will be in tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#2 ·
I bought a new '14 last year, and the only real mod I made was to immediately install a Yoshimura R77 slip-on exhaust. The '13-'15 models came with a gigantic stainless steel exhaust that looked like a piece of industrial HVAC duct and made the bike sound like a sewing machine. Your '16 has a much nicer looking exhaust than previous model years, but I don't know what it sounds like. If you don't like the sound, then that might be your first mod. Still, you're not going to realize any meaningful gains in power from a new exhaust, even if you put on a full aftermarket system. The one thing most of us here quickly realized is that there's very little you can do to make this bike more powerful; the engine design just doesn't lend itself particularly well to that sort of thing.

Congrats on the new bike, though - where do you live?

Reactions: AJontwowheels
#4 ·
These are Great Bikes, they are what they are! If you wanted more Power you should of got a different bike. I've taken my 500F model on several trips from 200-1000 miles ,these bikes are happy to take you where you want to go. I usually drive around 70mph & my 500f is happy at that speed for long distance .

Attachments

#5 ·
As these guys have stated, the bike was designed for the learners market, so not much room for power gains. It is even debatable that a slip on will actually lose some power as they were not specifically tuned for this bike but they sound good none the less. Having said that it is still a pronominal bike and you will discover this the more you ride it.

In terms of mods, check out some youtube videos for ideas but setting up your suspension is probably the best bang for your buck..

I would suggest spending a couple of hours reading as many threads here as possible as the advice and information found on this forum is priceless.

#6 ·
Welcome back to two wheels! I bet you'd thought "... forgot how good it feels back on two wheels! ... should've bought one earlier ..."

Sad to say, if you want more power, you bought the wrong bike :(
This bike is more a "commuter-tourer-(with a little)-sport" (that looks like a sports bike).
That said, it is very capable on the road, with higher torque (acceleration), lower revs, lower power.

#7 ·
2016 CBR500r

I bought a Millennium Red 2016 CBR500r just last month with 2km on the odometer. Unfortunately for me it's now winter (I got a deal)...lol. Unlike the rest of the guys here with 600cc and liter bikes, I'm allowed to drive on the highways as fast as I want (one of the perks of living in Germany). I live 6 minutes from the nearest autobahn.. there won't be any racing from red light to red light, high engine revving for the girl next to me in the FIAT Punto or blurring of my speedometer. Look forward to pictures and video in the Spring. If you see me riding at 70mph/112kmh then call ADAC because something is causing me to slow down >:)

#8 ·
I myself was concern with the power on this bike when I first purchased the bike. Come from a sport bike background, and have owned over 35 motorcycles, I'm an older guy. I wanted something light and easy to move around and easy to ride, didn't really need another 150 HP motorcycle. Have owned many bikes with 40 to 50 HP and know they are capable of moving you from A to B just as well as anything else. I live in the California foothills and have found it just a matter of knowing how to use that transmission. Keeping the RPM's up a bit on this bike the ticket. Changing the exhaust on most bikes end up cutting into low end torque, just how it works out. Best to leave that all alone. If you need the sound go for it, be aware it could give you throttle off popping.

My mods have been the center stand, tail tidy, mirror extenders, gear indicator (best thing I ever did).

I love this little bike, it's just such a pleasure to ride, so smooth and it can do everything very well. Not only that when I go to the gas station to fill it up and check the MPG, that always put a smile on my face. 61 to 62 average MPG, gheeeez is that great or what.

I go down the freeway with this thing 70 to 85 mph all the time and it can do those speeds with ease. So really I don't find the performance limiting on this bike at all. It can just flat out do everything very well. Sort of like a Swiss Army knife.

#9 ·
I know I'm a few months late with this post reply, but what sonic says should be required reading for anyone considering the CBR500R. I feel exactly the same way about my 2016 CBR500R, have done just about the same mods, double-ditto on the gear indicator, and agree totally about how to use the revs to get what you want out of the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.