Will I grow out of the CBR 500R? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Will I grow out of the CBR 500R?

Hello,

I very recently have gotten my motorcycle endorsement and have been looking into buying a CBR. At first I was going to get a 250 Ninja or CBR but quickly saw that people grew out of those in minutes. I moved up to thinking about the CBR 500R, believing it had the power that I needed, but my biggest fear is buying the one I'm looking at and growing out of the machine in months. The 600 has about 100 HP while the 500 has 47 HP, which is a huge difference that I'm afraid I'd miss out on. The 500 is great for practical use since I love the more upright seating position, the 70 MPG, and the large price difference between it and the 600. I was just wondering how quickly people thought their 500R grew stale and started craving the larger bikes, since I want this thing to last a couple years without regret.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:48 PM

It depends on your type of riding and your financial status. And the size of your garage.
I just bought one as a second bike. My other bike is a monster and I don't always feel like dealing with it. I have a CB500 F.

If you are going to be riding two up especially on the highway then I'd say don't buy it. It's not powerful enough to do that safely.

If you are just learning then go for it. Thie F model is the easiest bike I have ever rode and I've been riding for years. Some day you may want a more powerful bike so I say, cheap as these bikes are, you may want to keep it as a second bike for when you just feel like mellow rides.

Deciding which motorcycle to buy is one of the most wonderful problems a man can face in his lifetime :-).
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input!

I am just learning so I thought a 500 would do fine, but I want to be able to drive on the highway and still be able to pull off from a start with power. I will want to 2up a bit but not for long rides, maybe just a couple times in the city. The one I'm looking at is a 2014 with ABS and around 7k miles, so I hope when I do want to upgrade, I'd be able to get a good resale price.

On the highway did you ever feel like you couldn't accelerate much? Or ever have that pure crave for power? It's a big fear of mine, but I know that off the bat I'll love it. Just the potential of regret scares me when purchasing something this important.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Garage
It's not the end of the world if you start craving more power, just sell it? As you mentioned, resell value should be good.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:35 PM

I've got 3200 miles on mine since May with a lot of highway miles. It doesn't lack power on the highway riding solo for sure. I haven't gone 2 up on it. It's no superbike though. My last bike 20 years ago was an 87 VFR 750 and it was a lot quicker. But the 500 is plenty quick off the line. Just doesn't pull too hard over 80. I haven't seen 70 MPG yet. I seem to get 55-60, which is fine. I figured if I met someone who really liked going for rides I could just upgrade to another VFR. But for me it's fine and I don't see me getting sick of it.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 PM

There has been big change in what is considered adequate power over the years. When I started riding a Triumph 650 Bonneville was the fastest thing going and it had the same horsepower as our 500's. It did weigh a bit less, though. Still, the craving for horsepower has gotten completely out of hand and I think the electric starter has a lot to do with it. Imagine trying to kick start a 100 hp motor.
ExTex likes this.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 PM

if you're doing lots of highways then test ride the cbr500r. it will do 150km/h all day even with 2up. I just did 200km cruise this morning, 2up, loaded, with side panniers.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:52 PM

You won't be disappointed in the least.
The other bike I was considering buying was a GSXS 1000. About the same size naked bike only 100 hp MORE. Totally different bike I know but as I was riding my favorite twisties with my CB yesterday, I thought of how it would be with the GSXS. Truth be told, I wouldn't have been any faster in the corners with the 145 hp GSXS than I was with the 45 hp CB. Sure, I can't reach 90 mph in the straights between the corners like I have with other bikes but I'm over that stuff now.
Due to the softer power delivery of the CB I actually was much smoother in the corners with the CB than I am with my much more powerful ZRX1200. And I am very surprised at how well sorted the non adjustable suspension is on the CB. Honda did a great job choosing parts for this budget suspension.
The CB doesn't dominate on the highway but it does ok. Two up around town will be fine.
There were a few minor recalls on the bike. Make sure they were done and have some fun.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
There has been big change in what is considered adequate power over the years. When I started riding a Triumph 650 Bonneville was the fastest thing going and it had the same horsepower as our 500's. It did weigh a bit less, though. Still, the craving for horsepower has gotten completely out of hand and I think the electric starter has a lot to do with it. Imagine trying to kick start a 100 hp motor.
Yes, and when the CB750 came out, who would ever need so much power?
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 AM

Garage
This is just my opinion. You just got the endorsement. Get the lighter motorcycle with less power to start. If you want more you can get more. You might find you don't even want more. But getting something bigger with more power could be a recipe for disaster. The 500 is pretty good as a beginner bike and actually not that easy to outgrow.

The 500F is my first bike. I've had it for a year. I don't think I'll ever sell it. The bike I want for my second is a Yamaha SR400. That's 100cc less than the 500. I had a lot of free advice when I got my 500f, "you'll just outgrow it in a year. You'll get blown around too much on the highway. It's got no sack. No, man, it's actually dangerous to have a small bike." etc.. etc... etc... It was all well intentioned but wrong.

Fact is, a 600cc machine is too much for me and I've been riding for a year. That's a whole year, too, summer 2015 to summer 2016 through autumn, winter and spring. I ride almost every day unless there's a snowstorm or if it's over 95F. A 600cc machine is still too much for me. The real key to performance riding is improving rider skill, anyway. The machine matters less than the person riding it.
Thump and Pudu71 like this.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram
On a silver black phantom bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page