Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

$24 ebay fork preload adjuster review

19K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  Beeez 
#1 ·
I'm a skeptic by nature, but $24 is a small price to pay to find out, so I bought a pair of chinese fork preload adjusters from ebay and installed them today. I also ordered some shorty levers ($20) that coincidentally arrived today so I installed them too.

So, are the cheapo ebay chinese products worth it? I'm happy to say that sometimes you get more than you expect, and in this case I got much better products than I would've ever imagined.

I made a video review of the fork preload adjusters for you guys. See it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyY01S_DoI

#2 ·
I think i know the ones your talking about.
You'll need to provide your own o-ring, but if your careful removing/installing your should be able to get away with reusing the original one.
Check clearances between the bar and the space tube, as you are likely to also need an appropriately sized washer.
When fitting them, place some plastic around it before putting your tool on it, as the anodizing is more like spray on paint and comes off waaay to easily.
Other than those items, functionality can't complain, it works as intended and construction is solid for the purpose.

#4 ·
The adjusters I got are the "M-Factory" ones. They came with O-rings and there's no need for a washer. The metal bushing at the bottom is not cheap thin steel like some of the ebay adjusters. The bushing is CNC T-6 aluminum and is much thicker than the ones that have the steel bushing. The anodized finish is better than I expected, but you're right, you should certainly protect it when adjusting. I just placed a handkerchief over them before putting the 14mm wrench on them and that worked well.

Good Video.

I also have the Chinese, pre-load adjusters and they fundamentally do exactly the same thing as the more well known brands. So I agree, Why pay more.

Whilst they make a huge difference over the stock set up you might start experience is a jolting feeling when hitting sharp edge bump but you can fix that by increasing your fork oil viscosity to 15 or 20w. You could also install emulators for more adjustability.

You are around the same weight as me and at 90KG and you have cranked down the pre-load adjusters to just about to the max meaning these fork springs are probably too soft for you but you would need to confirm this when setting your sag.

Question. Do you still have the stock rear shock and if so has it highlighted the Pogo effect in the rear end? Not sure if you have the ABS model or not but upgrading the rear shock will compliment the front enormously.

Well done.
I should mention that I went ahead and turned mine out anothother turn and I feel like it's just right now. I'm not getting the jolting feeling you mentioned. In fact it's quite the opposite. I've notice that when going over sharp edges or rough spots on the road the bike handles it much better. On the stock setup it seemed bouncy. The reactive recoil was too slow on the stock for sure. I find that hard shifting and hard stops have much less rise and dive and my acceleration and stops are much smoother feeling now. I absolutely hated the dive on hard stops. Seriously, HATED it. Now the dive is minimal and recoils immediately. I do still have the stock rear shock. I had already set my rear shock at 6 and I find that 6 is still quite good for my weight and the sag is right on. I'm not experiencing the "pogo" effect you mentioned at all (Mine isn't ABS and I'll mention that I don't prefer ABS. I want to be able to lock up if I need to). I feel like the rear shock is fine and I'm not considering changing it atm. I had considered changing the fork oil to 15w but I'm feeling very good about how it feels right now so I don't think I will at this point, but it is good advice.

#3 ·
Good Video.

I also have the Chinese, pre-load adjusters and they fundamentally do exactly the same thing as the more well known brands. So I agree, Why pay more.

Whilst they make a huge difference over the stock set up you might start experience is a jolting feeling when hitting sharp edge bump but you can fix that by increasing your fork oil viscosity to 15 or 20w. You could also install emulators for more adjustability.

You are around the same weight as me and at 90KG and you have cranked down the pre-load adjusters to just about to the max meaning these fork springs are probably too soft for you but you would need to confirm this when setting your sag.

Question. Do you still have the stock rear shock and if so has it highlighted the Pogo effect in the rear end? Not sure if you have the ABS model or not but upgrading the rear shock will compliment the front enormously.

Well done.

#11 ·
The starting point is around 10mm past stock. Fully adjusted is around 20mm past stock.

Here they are:
mfactory | eBay

thanks.
Yes those are the ones. I got mine from a US seller using the search terms, 'fork preload adjuster' and then I added a bunch of bikes withe the same forks including the cbr500r, cbr650f, hornet, etc. Then I filtered to US only as I didn't want to wait 6 weeks for delivery. Did the same thing for my levers. I entered the search terms 'shorty levers' and added some compatible bikes including grom, cbr500x, cbr300r, etc. Filtered for US and found the set for $19.99 free ship. Got those in four days too. Super fast considering there was a postal holiday during shipping. My adjusters came in a nice box suitable for a shelf in a store, well packed, with O-rings, and the quality is top notch. YMMV.

#8 ·
Okay, I can't post the link due to being a new member and not having any previous posts......but I found the M-factory pre-load adjusters by searching for their ebay store, and then typing in "preload" to search their store. They have adjusters that say they fit the CBR500 13-14, for $26.80 USD. Hope this helps.

#12 ·
Well, I just bought my first thing ever on ebay - Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters For Honda CBR500 from MC Motoparts at $46.80 AUD ($35 USD). I tried to order same as OP but apprently they dont deliver down under. Flaming Galah! As usual everything in AU is more expensive even though I'm sure China is closer to AU than North America. Other than picking the stickers off my bike, this is the first mod I'm going to do. Tothezenith - I'm catching up!

Reactions: tothezenith
#21 ·
Hahahaha - yup, that's likely the way I'm heading. Just ordered some levers and a phone mount and yesterday was the first time I ever used ebay.

I did sell used reusable nappies a few years back. Amazing what you can sell on the net. The people who bought them were chuffed to bits about buying used, reusable nappies for their yet to be born baby hippy.

Reactions: 1977ra28celica
#22 ·
That's an idea! I've not looked through the forum, but what do the 2016 model owners think of the adjustable caps?

#28 ·
they were labelled and marked as 41mm. the box said 41mm also. they were made wrong, and they didnt fit. I was lucky not to do damage to the threads inside the top of the fork tube.

M-Factory actually admitted to me in their correspondance that they had had a problem with that fitment. their factory advised them. some of the listings were withdrawn.

I would be willing to try another set though, from a reputable seller, or if M-Factory assured that the fitment was now correct. the product fulfills a simple task with a worthwhile benefit. like I said, I would buy again if I could be sure the fitment was correct.

#29 ·
I may have you to thank, in part, for getting the right product. Your complaint may have also inspired them to start including o-rings. Just goes to show, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Whatever the case, they have the right thing shipping out now. I'm glad you reported your experience to them.

#34 ·
fork pre-load adjuster accessory

thanks.

good news. Following succesful purchase and installation of this product by a few other forum members I have taken the plunge and bought another set from M-factory.....

note that they list them on eBay as fitment for CBR500R 2014-2015 and my bike is a 2013 but I ordered them anyway (because I cross-checked the part numbers for the OEM fork tubes for all years of CBR500, and they are the same)

they arrived, and had o-rings included this time.
I installed them with no problems, they threaded in and tightened up fine.

so it seems like M-Factory have sorted out their manufacture issue with this particular fitment, and I'm now happy to recommend them.

#37 ·
Pretty sure I got the same ones too, just installed them over the weekend. Much better quality than the other cheap chinese ones I'd gotten off ebay before. M-Factory is one of the better quality chinese companies I'm gathering, I run two different styles of their indicators too and they are top notch.

And FYI any preloads for standard fork (as opposed to upside-downs) that are 41mm will fit, I actually ordered mine for a 90's VFR ;)

#43 · (Edited)
I bought the M-factory (look the same as video / photos) which arrived in a MC Motoparts box (model PFA-41H). After taking the original out and comparing, I noticed the threaded section on the aftermarket one seemed short (around 1/2 the length). The other dimensions (start of thread compared to the base) was similar / same.

When I was fitting, it was somewhat difficult to apply suitable pressure to keep the sleeve depressed and install the adjusters. The adjusters were almost flush with the stem before screwing, meaning there would have been a 1-3 threads of purchase.

Did others notice there was minimal purchase / threading of the new part? I wasn't game to fit them in the end and put the original back on until I had it sorted.

Also, is there a good way to raise the front to avoid fighting the sleve?

#54 ·
I bought the M-factory (look the same as video / photos) which arrived in a MC Motoparts box (model PFA-41H). After taking the original out and comparing, I noticed the threaded section on the aftermarket one seemed short (around 1/2 the length). The other dimensions (start of thread compared to the base) was similar / same.

When I was fitting, it was somewhat difficult to apply suitable pressure to keep the sleeve depressed and install the adjusters. The adjusters were almost flush with the stem before screwing, meaning there would have been a 1-3 threads of purchase.

Did others notice there was minimal purchase / threading of the new part? I wasn't game to fit them in the end and put the original back on until I had it sorted.
I found exactly the same problem. I have asked them about why they are designed like this,will post up what they say.

In the mean time I CANNOT recommend the MC Motoparts adjusters. :confused2

AAAMOTORHK on ebay have some that seem like a better design with full length threads (and don't require a wrench to adjust)

#44 · (Edited)
Mine had about the same amount of thread as the stock...but different brand i guess.....although I'm sure they were MC Motoparts too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231777224079

Re taking weight off the front end. I had mine on the side stand, straddled the bike, feet on the ground, and lent my weight to the left, taking some extra bike weight with me pivoting the bike a bit on the side stand, which took some weight off the front. Wasn't an issue but if you F-up then you'll probably get a cap or spring flying into your face. You could always wear your helmet if teeth are important to you.

#47 ·
If you have good strong hands then it should be a snap. If you're concerned then you could have a friend give you a hand with lifting up on the front while you do it. It's not dangerous, but you could wear safety goggles if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: wmdoss
#46 ·
I've used pre load adjusters for many years on a few bikes, and consider them a cheap fix and bang for the buck.

Just a matter of playing with the adjustments and getting to what feel good for you. Often just removing that dive put you into the ball park for some reason.

My 16 came stock with them and I have like zero dive. They really dialed the suspension in on the 16 model. I've not touched anything as of yet. Just perfect for my weight, 178 pounds.

This 16 is the first bike I've ever purchased that for some reason I have zero complaints with the suspension. Did not expect that with a bike in this price range.

I've had other bikes that I've end up throwing crazy money into suspension to get to that happy place. This thing came off the showroom floor very happy. Honda hit it clear out of the ball park with the 16 models with suspension.

#52 ·
Well done! Black and silver is nice :) Now crank those babies down and feel the joy!

#53 ·
@CBRogers I would HIGHLY recommend taking the weight off the front end to change them. Although it can be done with it loaded, there is potential for unfavourable outcomes both with removing and installing. It can be as simple as a couple ratchet straps either side, hooked onto a balcony railing above; hook 'em up and ratchet them up at the same time. Just enough to take the load off not get the bike airborne. Installing is a lot easier with less chance of stripping the threads when there's minimal load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.