Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Unhappy Buyer

22K views 71 replies 43 participants last post by  wendyjboss 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 2013 CBR500R. It is a fun bike, easy to ride, looks great. I have one major concern though. Riding on the highway is awful. Anything over 70 mph is just awful. Wind just blasting in the face, super loud. I have a helmet and use ear plugs also. I find my self basically laying on the tank a majority of the time on the highway just to get my head under the shield to give my ears a rest.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help with this? Yes I have good ear plugs and a good helmet.. and yes i do like to go over 70...

Thanks!

#6 ·
Does it have the stock windshield? I would second the thought of getting a taller windscreen. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I felt like the stock one directed wind right under my chinbar. Lots of buffeting, but tucking my head down like you did, or raising my body up, it felt a lot better at speed.

My solution was to get a powerbronze windscreen. The higher profile seems to keep my head in cleaner air now. It's quiter with less bouncing around. There's other brands for windscreens, puig, ermax, etc. Check 'em out. The stock one looks nice, I might argue it looks better than most aftermarket ones, but functionality man, it's not there unless you're a 5'4" human being.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Are you pretty short? I'm 5'9 with a 31" inseam and I find the wind goes right into my chest, I have a longish torso. It's much better than the wind in my shield feeling on my old 250. But I did 7400 miles on that 250 at mostly highway speeds of 70-94mph and just put up with it and it wasn't too bad I guess. Lower bars and/or taller screen, or maybe a trade to the F model, I bet someone local wishes they had the cool fairings, so the wind hits all over your body at the same time?

#16 ·
I agree. Riding a motorcycle at speed, especially a sport bike, is going to generate enough airflow, some of it turbulent, to make for a noisy environment in your helmet. Some helmets have better aero properties than others but I've found that ear plugs are the most important thing.

I've tried a number of different ear plugs and have settled on this style:

McCordick model "SHREPCCQ" with a NRR of 25.

I cut off the lanyard and trim the ends so they fit without interfering with my helmet. Might be worth trying different/better plugs.

#19 ·
Yes! As a F rider it's bad. Like 90% of my riding is highway as I go to college in a neighboring town. I quickly however got used to it and now ride not tucked the whole way at a constant 70-80mph. I'll only tuck if it's cold. As for the noise I don't have any problem with when the visor is down. Helmet I use is Scorpion EXO-R410

#18 ·
I would recommend a few things. One or more of these should work for you.

The first thing I suggest is to get yourself a decent helmet skirt. They are available cheaply everywhere. Here's a cheap effective one on ebay The Original Quiet Rider Helmet Skirt Reduce Helmet Noise Increase Comfort | eBay

I don't like ear plugs. I prefer to use my Skullcandy Bluetooth buds so that I can listen to music and take phone calls. They are affordable and excellent quality. Here's what I have Skullcandy Smokin' Buds 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones Black S2PGHW-174 - Best Buy You can find these on sale there all the time for $44.95 - $49.95

Be aware that your body position begins with your feet. Watch that your heel placement is where it should be to optimize your posture. On the freeway, your heels should be up and you should have the balls of your feet on the pegs. The wrong foot placement can put you out of position and make for a much bumpier and noisier ride.

Also try riding for a long period of time at high speed. Ride for a few hours on your favorite interstate and adjust your posture/riding position until you find the sweet spot where the wind hits you in the chest and you can just let it hold you up. Getting into that position is hard on a bike that is new to you. You'll eventually develop the muscle memory to fall into that position each time. It's like learning to shoulder check without getting your head spun around. You'll learn to put your head down first and then do the check and then back into position. Eventually it becomes one quick pendulum movement you don't think about.

Reactions: bambams
#20 ·
Wow. Thanks for all of the replies, I guess I should check back more often.. lol.

I think with all the suggestions I will go to a taller screen. To fill everyone in I am 5' 10" and the wind literally hits me upper chest, neck area. It sucks. I hate the look of the taller screen, but I hate the noise even more. Currently use those little foamy earplugs, they work great but just an annoyance. I can already say I am not looking forward to putting the screen on, but it is what it is.

Thanks everyone

#21 · (Edited)
You wrote that at highway speeds over 70 mph the bike feels awful, it sucks, you hate the wind blast and the noise, even though you are wearing ear plugs. If you really feel that way maybe you are not made for riding MCs at higher speeds. Speed equals wind blast, if you want peace and quiet, maybe a Gold Wing or the BMW K1600 would be for you, they have wind screens the size of an ice cream counter.
If you were just a bit uncomfortable I'd recommend a bigger screen, too, but I'd say that won't help you much, either.
I recommend getting a convertible car, but even that may be too windy for you. :)
I'm 5'10" and I have ridden my CBR500R at speeds between 70 and 100 mph for hours - that's just the turbulence you get at higher speeds, and one should expect that. I enjoy it!
I test rode the X and felt the turbulence right away, even at lower speeds, and there are threads about the buffing at higher speeds. You'd have to install a bigger screen than the X screen and it still won't improve much.
Like Seminoles wrote, try a F! (Or one of these 1000cc naked superbikes with close to 200 hp.) You will like your R much more afterwards.
There are tons of naked bike riders out there who ride at high speeds with less wind protection than your bike provides and they seem to love it! If you feel uncomfortable then maybe riding motorcycles is not for you, no offense.

#23 ·
It works - but how does it look?!

Reactions: bamm321
#29 ·
Unless your expectations of the bike are too high, it sounds like a helmet issue...I suggest you look into a properly fitting helmet... There is a Cycle Gear store in both Brookfield and Madison, Wisconsin, where you can look at various makes and models...I ride with a Sedici Sistema, which is a modular helmet with the outer shell constructed of fiberglass and Kevlar. This can be purchased at Cycle Gear for around $200.00. Same price for a traditional full face. I STRONGLY suggest you go to the store and get fitted properly...Most riders buy their helmets too large to start with and then the cheek pads expand about 1/2 size after about 20 hours of use...A cheap plastic helmet has a thicker inner liner of polystyrene and are a lot noisier and do not vent as well. I work at the Portland, Oregon Cycle Gear. We are trained to properly advise customers on helmet fit. It'll make a world of difference. If you want to spend more money, they also carry Shoei and Arai, as well as some other brands, but in my opinion, the Sedici is the best bang for the buck for quietness, low wind drag, and safety...

#38 · (Edited)
I'm 5'10" . Most height is the upper body. The 19" worked great on my last 1000 mile trip.
The VStream comes in 17- 19- 21 inch heights clear or smoked .
Here's how it mounts. Right now I'm using the Puig because it's 95 degrees 70+% humidity here in Texas.
Will put VStream back on for next trip or for winter. Most likely mid October.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.