Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Dual LED front signal possible?

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  GlenAnderson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am thinking to replace my front signal with Flush LED, plus upgrading my mirror to with signal on it. Is it possible to have 2 different LED source at the same time? What kind of resistor/spliter/harnass do I need?

Flush mount:
13 15 Honda CBR500R Pair of LED Flush Mount Turn Signals Smoke Lens | eBay

Mirror signal:
http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-INTERGRATED-INDICATORS-REARVIEW-CBR1000RR/dp/B015EVX8FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453261353&sr=8-1&keywords=cbr500r+mirror+signal

Ps. I already have LED signal on the back, will it interference with the front?

#2 ·
LED lights draw significantly less power than filament bulbs so there should be no problems associated with multiple LEDs.
No resistors or special dividers are needed.
You just need Y spliters that take the single power wire and split it into 2 wires to go to the 2 LED lights.
If you have 2 pairs of LED turn lights, you will need 2 splitters for the power wires.
The grounding wires can be split also or you can provide separate ground wires if a convenient ground location is found.

ride safely,

#4 · (Edited)
Learned much from other riders about motorcycle electrical systems.

Thinking about installing LED bulbs in the front & rear turn signal housings on my CB500X replacing the 1156 rear & 1157 front bulbs with non can-bus LED bulbs (no built in resistors). Want to install electronic flasher, too.

LEDs have much less current draw, like ExTex said.

Installed aftermarket LED turn signals on my 1980 Honda CX500D and they worked fine (including panel indicators) with two pin NAPA electronic flasher without installing resistors feeding power to the LEDs. The LEDs would not flash correctly with original Honda non electronic flasher.

OEM Honda 4 pin flasher for our bikes, don't know if OEM flasher is electronic or not:

Honda 38301-MEW-921 - RELAY, TURN SIGNAL (MITSUBA) : Ron Ayers

Found this 4 pin electronic flasher on Ebay. This pin connector looks close to our 4 pin flasher connector,
but might not fit.

Turn Signal Flasher Blinker Relay 12V 4 Pin Motorcycle LED Indicator Light New | eBay

Have several projects before the CB500X LED project, so will be at least a month before working on this project.

#6 ·
You should not need a resistor if you replace the flasher with a solid state unit as Ride & Fly said.

Yes, you could put 1 resistor before the Y-splitter and that would suffice for both LEDs on that side of the bike.

I like the idea of the solid state flasher as a better (cleaner) solution.

Ride Safely

#7 ·
I email the guy at Motodynamic.com and he told me I would need at least 1 resistor on each side of signal regardless how many LED I connect to. I think I am going to install it just to be safe.

The problem now is that their website doesn't sell any 3 wired Y splitters, only 2 wired for the rear. I am having trouble finding them anywhere.

#8 ·
For all the effort you are going to put into it for such a cool upgrade... You are going to be far happier in the long run if you just install an LED flasher relay from the start and be done with it.

#15 ·
Hi, I am thinking to replace my front signal with Flush LED, plus upgrading my mirror to with signal on it. Is it possible to have 2 different LED source at the same time? What kind of resistor/spliter/harnass do I need?

Flush mount:
13 15 Honda CBR500R Pair of LED Flush Mount Turn Signals Smoke Lens | eBay

Mirror signal:
http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-IN...3261353&sr=8-1&keywords=cbr500r+mirror+signal

Ps. I already have LED signal on the back, will it interference with the front?
I have ZX-10R mirrors that have LED's in them and the flush mount ones on the side. I also replaced the rear with flush mount and the Motodynamic taillight w/signal. All of the LED's combined draw enough current that I don't need any resistors to stop the hyperflash.
In answer to your question, yes it is possible.

Reactions: rideandfly
#18 ·
HI.

I spoke before looking up info. Not sure what Honda is doing with their flasher/hazard light relay. It is a 4 wire unit so the replacement relays I know are 2 or 3 wire units.

The 2016 CB500F uses a different relay than the older models, so I presume that it is a solid state model that will work correctly with LED turn signal lights.
But is is expensive: PN 38301-MJE-D01 and $60 list price. About $42 discounted:
Honda 38301-MJE-D01 - RELAY, TURN SIGNAL (MITSUBA) : Babbitts Honda Partshouse

That is about more than I know.

Ride safely,

#19 ·
I wish Suzuki used a simple flasher relay system. I tried this project on my bike and one flasher relay flashed wayyyy to slow (about 5 blinks per MINUTE) and the other one, when heated up would cause sensor issues in my kickstand or start switch sensor - as the flasher relay also has all the safety bypasses running through it.

It is definitely a much better idea to run with an LED Flasher over wiring in resistors, though. Much less work, easy to diagnose problems later, and no resistors = no hot spots. Those resistors get stupid hot.

Post photos when you're done, I'd really like to see the final project!

#23 ·
Thanks for the update. How does Honda handle the LED lights on the 2016 model ?
Does anyone have a flasher relay that works with LEDs and doesn't require the resisters ?

Ride safely,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.