Performance of the stock tires (Dunlop D222) - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Performance of the stock tires (Dunlop D222)

Hey there fellow CBR500R riders!

I just got my black beauty two weeks ago, did my first "tour" this weekend worth about 800km, clocking in at a total of 1500 now. Needless to say, the bike is a blast.

While riding, I didnt think about this at all, but after weve come home, I inspected my tires to find about 10-12mm of chicken strips on both of them (I have the Dunlop D222 by the way).
I was driving behing my buddy and while we were going pretty quickly, I still had an ounce of "comfort zone" left. I didnt want to risk too much on the first bigger ride though, so I kind of stayed at that level.
Question to you guys now :
Has anyone here ridden the Dunlops to their full extent yet? Ive always been a bit wary of stock tires, but can these things be driven from edge to edge, or will they give in before? And what about the pegs? I kind of feel they will make contact with the ground before Ive exhausted the width of the tire.
Anyone here with a "spirited" riding style that can offer me some insight perhaps?

papapishu (who is now going to scrape all the insects off his fairing )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM

I think I'll have my chicken strips for ever man! Maybe sand them off instead LOL
Natrix and Nuvolari like this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

I'm at about 450 miles +/- a few, made a few good day trips so far and countless little trips every day to the store and back. Haven't hit too many twisty roads yet, but on the few really sharp turns with some decent speed (25-30 MPH in the turn), I can get the feeler pegs down and the bike still feels like it has plenty of grip left in it. Not sure if I'd want to do the same thing going 20 MPH faster, but the tires don't feel like they are total slouches. Air pressure is a factory stock boring 36/42 psi for the time being.
3Cheers likes this.

2010 to 2013 - '06 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Sky Blue
Present - '13 Honda CBR500R Fire Red

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

You can push dunlop d222s to edge to edge no problems. I have been on a track with them and many twisties and found decent grip.
But pegs are problematic. Before you lose the grip, they touch to the ground.
Natrix, CBR_Dave, 3Cheers and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM
DkD

I find my stocks absolutely great, haven't gone knee down but they feel really grippy when I've leaned over as far as I dare..

Nothing wrong with chicken strips though... brown skid marks on the saddle are worse!
3Cheers, farva66 and Texas250 like this.

Don't mess with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 PM

I am at 6300 km at the moment and the tires are getting a bit slippery, losing grip

Let's get this show on the road!
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM

IMO, the tires are designed to lean over more than this bike's frame/footpeg positioning will allow.
CBR_Dave and 3Cheers like this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Can anyone share experiences with them in the wet? Curious to hear how they compare to other tires like Pilot Road 3's etc.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Where I live we have been getting significantly more rain than normal. I've put around 1000 miles on the bike in rain and about 40 in very light snow and have had absolutely no grip problems. The only change I've made to my riding style is slowing down a little more before corners to reduce my lean angle. Even under hard acceleration and braking I have had no problems.

I'm impressed with stock performance, however; at 8000 miles the tires are showing significant signs of wear and I think I will be upgrading to Pirelli Angel GT's in the next couple thousand miles.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM

The two golden rules in the rain are

1 - Don't accelerate fast
2 - Don't break hard

Other than that you will be fine, of course you already change your speed according to the road condition and visibility

Sold the cbr, bought a green KLX, must ... resist ... to ... paint ... it ... black!
Wrecked the KLX, bought several other bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page