Who went from a CB500F to a Yamaha FZ-07 or FZ-09? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Who went from a CB500F to a Yamaha FZ-07 or FZ-09?

Anybody here ever made that switch?

What are your thoughts? I'm assuming I should ask on the Yamaha forums. I recently got a CB500F but I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on an FZ-07 or FZ-09.

Looking forward to the opinions/comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Type-S View Post
Anybody here ever made that switch?

What are your thoughts? I'm assuming I should ask on the Yamaha forums. I recently got a CB500F but I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on an FZ-07 or FZ-09.

Looking forward to the opinions/comments.
I belive I have read a test report of a cb500x rider testing the mt07 for a day.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 AM

I've been very interested in the 07 from the start - it's got more cc, it's got more power, it's lighter, it should sound better with the 270* crank and it's not even expensive!

The main question is if it is the better all-round bike.
I don't care much for bigger, better, faster when I have some gripes with the seating position, the handling, the FI or whatever.

Just yesterday I was riding my CBR500R again and said to myself: "This is a fine bike."
That kind of sums it up.
It's not a rocket, it's not a beauty, it's not a great bike, not a super bike and it's not a bike to impress other riders with at MC meets, but it's a fine bike as it is.

Forgive me when I compare bikes to women, but why not, as long as it's not degrading. The CB/CBR is not a beautiful model, not a sexy woman in a short skirt, not anything you'd turn around for and ask: "Who's that girl?"

But often it's the case that a more practical, maybe even homely woman gets married while the hot girls are still looking for a guy who wants more than just some fun with a picturesque beauty.

I've got a bike that does everything well and that's all I need these days. I'm not looking to upgrade for something "more" which is looking better at the moment, but maybe doesn't hold up in the long term.

I'll stick with my fine bike!
Jamco, sonicboom and coinneach like this.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, MSX125, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump

I'll stick with my fine bike!
Strange. I thought I've seen not one, but two classified ads from you, selling the CBR.
_Yamato likes this.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Ben

Exactly my thoughts.
Are you upgrading to a 16 Thump?
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
I've been very interested in the 07 from the start - it's got more cc, it's got more power, it's lighter, it should sound better with the 270* crank and it's not even expensive!
Don't take this in a bad way, but everything after that paragraph was totally irrelevant to what I was asking...

I'll ask on a Yamaha forum. I figured if someone DID make the switch, chances are that they'll be on that forum instead of here.
Thump and _Yamato like this.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Garage
I ride a CBR500R regularly commuting and my brother picked up an FZ-09 recently. I can give you a quick run down after this weekend when I get a chance to take it out for a spin.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Garage
I've test ridden the fj 09.i loved it. From what I understand the throttle is smoother than the fz version and personally found it light enough and that it had decent power.

Definitely a contender for once a graduate from my 500x
Thump likes this.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 05:33 PM

I think the Yamaha XSR 900 or a XSR 700 if it comes to the States would be worth looking at. Even a Tracer 700 or 900 if they get here would be cool. But you KNOW the CB 500's ARE JUST FINE . If you lived in the mountains you probably would need more than 500cc.
I test drove a FZ-07 for about 20 minutes ,then got on my 500f . Sure the 500 is not as fast or as much torque as the FZ-07 but you know what , the 500 is smoother ,viberates less & gets almost 20mpg more. After that test drive I thought I really like/ love this 500f !
It's really all I need . We all look & think we want/ need more power but do we? Just something new & Shinier.
Be SAFE & many 75* riding days
sonicboom likes this.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamco View Post
I think the Yamaha XSR 900 or a XSR 700 if it comes to the States would be worth looking at. Even a Tracer 700 or 900 if they get here would be cool. But you KNOW the CB 500's ARE JUST FINE . If you lived in the mountains you probably would need more than 500cc.
I test drove a FZ-07 for about 20 minutes ,then got on my 500f . Sure the 500 is not as fast or as much torque as the FZ-07 but you know what , the 500 is smoother ,viberates less & gets almost 20mpg more. After that test drive I thought I really like/ love this 500f !
It's really all I need . We all look & think we want/ need more power but do we? Just something new & Shinier.
Be SAFE & many 75* riding days
Jamco, do you have/had a ZRX?
I considered briefly an FZ 07 but, without seeing one in the flesh, after making a few phone calls to dealers, they weren't making any deals with them because they sell all they can get their hands on. So it was MSRP or nothing.
Plus I was selling my Versys 650 which had similar power. I was looking for lightweight and even though the FZ 07 is lighter, I just don't like Yamahas. And I especially don't like the look of the FZ 07.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page