Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Who went from a CB500F to a Yamaha FZ-07 or FZ-09?

61K views 110 replies 29 participants last post by  cbftw 
#1 ·
Anybody here ever made that switch?

What are your thoughts? I'm assuming I should ask on the Yamaha forums. I recently got a CB500F but I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on an FZ-07 or FZ-09.

Looking forward to the opinions/comments.

#67 ·
I am glad that I'm not a moderator on this forum. >:)

#68 ·
I mean seriously. Does it really have to get to this point?
There are objective things like engine power and weight what are quantitative and there's everyone's subjecrive preference. Why can't we accept that someone has a different opinion instead of calling him on names and trying to discredit him in a kindergarten style?

Really? I thought you guys are be better than this.

#71 · (Edited)
Just an update to this thread, I made the switch from the 2016 CB 500F to a 2016 FZ-09 and here's my feedback for those thinking of doing the same:

Pros:
- FZ-09 is more powerful in B mode than the CB 500F.
- Better braking
- Gear Indicator (big plus!)
- 3 Modes (A, Standard and B)
- Pass switch (neat feature)

Cons:
- Seat is higher, something that you have to get used to.
- OEM seat is flimsy, it doesn't stay still in its place.
- The trunk is a lot smaller than the CB 500F.
- The key hole to remove seems like a last minute decision from Yamaha. The location is awful and putting a fender eliminator on it will expose the key hole.
- The radiator will need a shield unlike the CB 500F.
- Blinker switch is a bit too small.

So with that said, I still don't regret the change. I'm looking forward to next season to fully enjoy this machine!

#72 ·
Nice review. Best of luck with your new bike.

I looked at a FZ07 but the dealer does not allow test rides and the look was a little complicated to my eye.

But many riders really like the FZ07 and FZ09 and its cool that naked bikes are back in demand.

Cheers,

Snade

#74 ·
So I just test road a 2016 FZ-09 (Had to go through Yamaha to set it up because my local dealers don't do test drives). I've got to say, I came away very impressed.

The seating position is very comfortable and confidence inspiring. It's interesting - the handlebars are less aggressive that our 500r and more upright, while the foot begs are more aggressive than our 500r and further back. Very comfortable and easy to manipulate.

I was slightly worried about the seat height but it was a non-factor. The bike is narrower than ours and I could still almost flatfoot it (I'm only 5'8). A weird thing to note also is that I felt like i had more wind hitting my on the 500r than on the fz09. I can't explain why that might be but an odd observation.

Now for the best thing about this bike - the engine. WHOA. This thing is fast. Torque at every RPM in every gear. And when you're at about 4-5k the thing comes to life and sounds amazing doing it. I fell in love with the triple in this bike.

I was afraid that it would be too aggressive to ride around the street comfortably. Fortunately I was wrong. Especially in B mode it is easy to drive the bike in a more relaxed manner.

I think I'm going to save up for a 2017 model sometime next year. I love my 500r but the fz-09 just puts a grin on your face that's hard to wipe off.

#75 ·
Great review. I read that Yamaha fixed the "fueling" issue with earlier FZ-09 that made smooth acceleration a problem - smoothed it out. I looked at a used FZ-07 in white and did not fall in love with the complicated look. But there was a new FZ-09 in black that looked really cool but I dismissed it as too aggressive for what I was looking for.

Also, it's good to know you can setup test rides through Yamaha. I went to a couple of dealers in West Palm Beach and they told me no test rides, so I just assumed that was a no go.

Cheers,

Snade

#76 ·
FZ09 is a completely different bike. A good bang for the buck but since you're looking for more power then why stop there?
There are many bikes in that category though for the price it's hard to beat if that point matters to you.
If I was looking for a powerful naked I would get the naked BMW S1000R. About 160hp at the wheel and a sweet electronics package. No need to upgrade from here, there's nothing to upgrade to.

#79 ·
So many good bikes out there these days, it's very difficult to pick one and then think you picked the right bike.

We have more choice then ever before, and these new lines of bikes are just so much better then what we had in the 70's and 80's.

This period truly the movement that we had with the muscle cars, back in the late 60's early 70's.

There are no longer bad choices with bikes these days. They are all just so very good in so many ways.

I think one of the things driving this, that they all sort of copy cat each other, and when one company come up with something that work very well, the rest copy that part, so on and so forth. The bar set so very high these days, with all motorcycles.

#80 ·
Could not agree more.

Cheers,

Snade

#83 ·
The 2017 MT09 press release videos are showing up on youtube, it will be interesting to see what the price is.

Not sure if the styling is going to win many hearts, i'll have to see it in the flesh and dream what could be done with the licence plate arm bit.

Still have a month of L's to go, hard to resist dreaming / planning what my next bike will be once on a full licence.

#84 ·
44Teeth did a really good review on it. Seems like they really hit it out of the park with the addition of the: LED headlights, Slipper* clutch, standard ABS, better front suspension, and a tweaked seat.

I test road the 2016 version and the twitchy throttle was not completely gone but definitely not bad. Hopefully that has been perfected finally.

And yea ,that rear license plate holder doesn't do it for me either lol. Need to put a few thousand more miles on my CBR but looking to possibly pick one of these up late this year.

#86 ·
I was considering the FZ 07, and test rode one at Daytona bike week last spring. More power than I need!
Also hear in USA, anti lock brakes weren't an option till the 2017 model.
So I went with the cb500fa, I like that it only requires regular 87 octane, and gets better fuel mileage!
Also may keep me out of trouble with the law, and speeding tickets.

#88 ·
Hahaha, this is funny. The thread is titled 'Who went from a cb500 to a FZ-07 or FZ-09'. Well you may as well add..
R1, ZX14, H2R and Jet Rocket bike.

People...THESE ARE ALL DIFFERENT BIKES. You need to know what your desire is and what capabilities are.

Gentleman (and ladies)....choose your bikes and start your engines. :beers

#89 ·
Well - I finally got to test ride a 500F today. I like it.
It's been since late last fall since I test rode the FZ-07, and they were both relatively short test rides.

If memory serves, it seems to me that going from a 500F to the FZ-07 would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade.
Yes, the FZ's got a bit more grunt, but they're not all that different.

I think that today, if the choice were down to just those two bikes, I'd go for the 500F.
I felt immediately a bit more comfortable on the 500. It's got plenty enough power for me,
and having the seat height an inch lower didn't hurt either.

Also test rode a Harley Roadster today, but that's a whole different story.

#90 ·
Depending what's your experience and needs, highway use, touring, commuting?
I think the 500 is an awesome commuter, i had one. Loved it, and regret upgrading to the 650, because i do mostly commuting now.
All these bikes are great, but you have to considering how you intend using them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#91 ·
I use my bikes mostly for lower speed cruising around. No need for speed here.
I stay off the freeways whenever possible, and like to take the occasional dirt road too.

I was just checking various bike's compression ratios, and think that's where some of the extra power comes from with the fz-07.
It's got 11.5 to 1, and you might have to use a higher grade of gas to prevent detonation.
The CB500's have 10.7 to 1.
For comparison, the Sportsters have about 9 to 1, and the Honda CBR1000RR has 12.3 to 1.
The combination of compression ratio and displacement is where the majority of power comes from.
The CB500 motor is more than adequate for my uses.

#92 ·
Not always, remember that HP is just rpm x torque. Many bikes have huge hp figures just because they can rev up high, 12-14,000 rpm.
The cb500 red line at 8500, thus low hp numbers, but great torque throughout the RPM range

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#93 · (Edited)
Ya - when I said power, I actually meant torque.

I have no interest in winding the piss out of a motor. I prefer low down torque.
I can sort of understand the appeal of the high pitched screaming engine,
but having ridden Harleys for so long, I rarely ever hear it.

I'm pretty sure that power high up in the rev range is mostly a function of valve overlap.
I had high lift/big overlap cams in a Sportster for a day. Pulled them out the next day
because it pushed the power band too far up.

Edit: Bore to stroke ratio is another factor, along with valve flow area and flywheel weight. Oversquare (piston diameter larger than stroke) will allow for higher revs.
Undersquare is more low end torque and more' tractor' like.
Valve flow area also determines where maximum flow occurs.
Those have always been some of the main parameters when dealing with internal combustion engines.

#94 ·
Well since this is a little slow, I'll chime in about going from an FZ1 to a CB500F.

CBF so far feels more rewarding to ride. It has just over 1/3 the horsepower of the FZ1. The FZ was a very competent well designed and built motorcycle. However all of its capability made it rather boring on the street unless ridden way beyond prudent limits. If doing 100-150 MPH is your thing, great bike. But poking around at just 20-30 MPH over the limit just felt effortless for the bike, like an easy cruise... not particularly exciting, nor like any rider talent was really needed.

I am still breaking in my CBF, just got it a few days ago. But so far it seems much more engaging, like the rider will have to do some work for the speed. I like this. Also, the bike is really well balanced. It has a budget suspension, but it is a reasonable match to the power output.

I had a SV650 before the FZ1. It had considerably more power than the CBF. However it also had a budget suspension. The problem with the SV was that the engine easily exceeded the suspension's ability to keep pace when pushing really hard. I don't think this will be so evident with the CBF.

Before that I had an R6. It was a really fine bike. Competent and well balanced. Its problems were the ergonomics. I got where I couldn't take the load on my hands and wrists. They would fall asleep in short order and get pins and needles feeling.

Before the R6 I had a Ducati Super Sport 750. Air cooled twin with about 70 horsepower. Stellar chassis. But it was not a balance bike either. The suspension and chassis way outclassed the engine output and I was always wishing for more power.

Before that a GPZ1100. Good power but way too much weight.

That has been all of my "road" bikes other than my first, a Honda Interceptor 500 in the mid 80s, but that was long ago I don't really remember much about it.

So the point of all the above is that in my opinion, balance is essential to a good bike. I have my eye on the 2018 CB650F, looks great, but I am a little concerned that the suspension may not be up to the engine's output. This would put me back in the same boat as I was with the SV650... lacking a balanced package. Not a place I really want to visit again. Hopefully the calibrations are really good.

#96 ·
I use the words "well balanced" often in reference to my CB500F. You actually articulate what this means in an understandable way.

I think if you have owned several road bikes with more power (as you have and I have), you can better feel and appreciate the balance of these current Honda 500s.

Cheers,

Snade

#95 ·
Welder, good sensible write up. I felt the exact same way about the cbf when I bought it as a stablemate to a much more powerful bike. I got a good deal on the cbf as I bought a leftover and the dealership offered a 90% trade-in, as a sales omsentive, towards a bigger bike within a year as they considered it a starter bike. I didn't think I'd use it because I was so happy with the cbf.

But then Kawasaki came out with the new z900 (which I didn't like at first glance) so I started watching reviews and reading articles. And there was the 90% carrot hanging in front of me.

Long story short...I now own the z900. It outperforms the cbf in every aspect except for MPG. That includes smoothness of the motor and shifting, power, power deliver, braking, handling. It's the same seating position and though a little heavier it feels just as light. It is a very well balanced bike. Easy to ride slow or fast.

If I didn't like the z900 when I went to the dealer to look at one I would have been more than happy to keep the cbf but in the end the z900 is a better fit for me.

#98 ·
Took New 2017 FZ-09 for long ride few days ago and found it disliking as per my taste and riding style. Too nervous and skittish for me. Trying to be aggressive and docile at same time. Felt that it is trying to throw me off all the time.

FZ10 - now that's another story. Planted, fast, power wheelies on 3rd gear (in most aggressive TC setting), corners like a charm. I liked it a little better than Aprillia Tuono that I took for 3 hours fast ride the other day.

Overall, for fast bike I am sticking with my CBR1000RR. Nakeds blast too much wind after 150 KMPH. just sometimes (when cornering fast in 1st gear :wink:) I wish 1000RR had TC.

#99 ·
Sashania, give the z900 a try. I am more impressed with it the more I ride it. It is a GREAT bike. It's even erything my cb500F was and way more. I could not be happier.
From the videos I've watched, the fz09 seems to have an aggressive personality while the z900 seems smoother and more user friendly. I have not ridden a smoother inline four ever. It will be one of the first things you notice about the z900. Fancy engine electronics not needed. And it goes.

When I wear my Vanson leather jacket wind blast is not objectionable at 85-90 MPH. The wind is there but very smooth.
If I wear my textile jacket, which fits looser, then 75-80 is alright but the jacket gets blown around.

#105 ·
Sashania, give the z900 a try. I am more impressed with it the more I ride it. It is a GREAT bike.

The dealer I bought my CBR650F from back in February has a Z900 demo in stock, and the lead salesman practically begged me to take it out for a good long ride. Naturally, I obliged. Spent a good hour tooling around Daytona on it, including some freeway time. Definitely a great bike: wonderful ergos, with a low seat and an upright riding position, though the mirrors leave something to be desired. A very powerful motor, yet somehow still feels very user-friendly and accessible. It's a serious and powerful motorcycle, yet it somehow manages to put the rider at ease; at no time does it feel like "too much."

So yeah, anyone looking to upgrade to a bigger, more powerful naked should take a good, hard look at the Z900.

#100 ·
I will try to get on Z900 ride and let you know. I did ride 2017 Ninja 1000 recently and liked it a lot. If I were in a market to purchase mid-weight sport tourer then Ninja 1000 will be on my top list. I am bit biased towards Hondas but they have nothing to offer in this class, including VFR800.

#101 ·
I will try to get on Z900 ride and let you know. I did ride 2017 Ninja 1000 recently and liked it a lot. If I were in a market to purchase mid-weight sport tourer then Ninja 1000 will be on my top list. I am bit biased towards Hondas but they have nothing to offer in this class, including VFR800.[

Sashania, the z900 is as easy to ride as my cb500F. Think of it as a CB ...only with about 75 more HP with better brakes, suspension, handling and a smoother motor.

It's torquey and docile low in the rev range but pulls strongly above 5-6000 with no peakyness. Very linear. It goes. It's nearly a liter bike but will not compete with your super bike. So it's a much friendlier stablemate.

Here's the z900 in action in the 2017 Z Cup Series. The rules allow for exhaust and suspension mods as provided in the Kawasaki race kit along with rearsets and tires and such. But the engine is stock as are the brakes according to the FIM rules. They seem to have no problems getting around the track.

https://youtu.be/cdisWE9w63Q

#102 ·
I recently test rode a 2016 FZ-07 and hated it. Throttle was way too touchy and downshifting grabbed far too much. I have heard the 2017 is much improved, but the greatest improvements are on the FZ-09 for 2017. I'm gonna go test ride one soon. I power was great on the FZ-07, but the one thing I dislike is the lack of any sufficient aftermarket windscreens. I commute as often as I can, mostly freeway for about 30 miles each way. The FZ-09 has a triple and sounds so sweet. The muffler is weird and way to quiet in my opinion but certainly a great looking bike.

#104 ·
I also rode an FZ-07 and found it too jerky in throttle response.
Also, the seating left me feeling like I was perched on top instead of being part of the motorcycle.
So far, the z650 is the best riding if I wanted to replace my 500f

ride safely,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.