Who went from a CB500F to a Yamaha FZ-07 or FZ-09? - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Some people like 21" rims in the front...
Well, most if those friends if mine but dual sport bikes with 21" front and 18" rear ones. ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Garage
Yamaha dealer just down the road from me.

I'm going to go down there today and ask for a test drive on an FZ-7. Last time I went down there, they didn't have one available, since they sell them out the back door before they can even roll them out onto the showroom floor.

Strange how they always have all the other models, for some reason the FZ-07 the bike they can't keep on the floor or even in the building for that matter.
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
Yamaha dealer just down the road from me.

I'm going to go down there today and ask for a test drive on an FZ-7. Last time I went down there, they didn't have one available, since they sell them out the back door before they can even roll them out onto the showroom floor.

Strange how they always have all the other models, for some reason the FZ-07 the bike they can't keep on the floor or even in the building for that matter.
While you're there, could you see how Yamaha has made that bike come under 400 pounds wet? Just curious if there's anything obvious .
That bike seems like a hoot. AFAIK the dealers sell it for MSRP due to they sell every one they get. No leftovers.

post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Directly bolting one end of the rear shock to the engine case and the other to the rear swingarm to name one of the tricks to keep the weight down.
Also the fuel tank seems to hold less fuel than the x - but presumably the other 500 models too.
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Directly bolting one end of the rear shock to the engine case and the other to the rear swingarm to name one of the tricks to keep the weight down.
Also the fuel tank seems to hold less fuel than the x - but presumably the other 500 models too.
Interesting.
I've heard they are more vibey than the CB's. It may be due to less counterbalance or a lighter crank or possibly just perception due to a larger displacement with more power.
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Yup I have also felt it a bit more vibey when tested it.
Larger displacement with more power not necessarily predestine more vibes. Just take the new Africa Twin as an example. 1000cc twin, a lot more power than the cb and the mt, 270' firing order just like the MT and still low on vibes.
Lack of a counterbalancer or less rotating weight indeed could casue more vibration. More vibes could be present due to a relatively shorter stroke too. While the CB has a longer stroke than bore, the mt07 has overbore cylinders - namely larger bore jugs than the length of the stroke.
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
While you're there, could you see how Yamaha has made that bike come under 400 pounds wet? Just curious if there's anything obvious .
That bike seems like a hoot. AFAIK the dealers sell it for MSRP due to they sell every one they get. No leftovers.
Dual disc.... so that would be more weight there, then you need to look around a bit... I think the big weight savings that strike me, would be the aluminum swing arm. The other factor, I would need to learn more about it, the fz-07 using some type of race bike crank technologies. Some weight savings there somehow or other.

The frame may have some weight savings, only that's hard to tell looking without the bikes both side by side.

Scheduled a test drive for 10:30 am tomorrow.

Noticed the seat stance higher, and to me it feels more top heavy, probably because of the higher stance. I don't think the actual weight savings very much at all, could even be accounted for by how companies weight there bikes. Wet/dry, whatever. You really would need to put them both on a scale side by side and see what you come up with. I tend to not believe the advertised weights with any of these bikes. Lot of games going on with mis-information regarding weights.

I think the bore something Honda should go with on this 500. An extra 20 HP would be more like the perfect world to me.
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Interesting.
I've heard they are more vibey than the CB's. It may be due to less counterbalance or a lighter crank or possibly just perception due to a larger displacement with more power.
The vibration being the main reason I want to ride one. I've heard it can get bad at the higher Rpm's.

I'll do a ride report here tomorrow on what I notice with vibration and other things worth mentioning. One thing I've already notice, they have that instrument cluster way too low for me. Sitting on the bike it would be below my chin guard, which sucks.

It actually feels top heavy on the showroom floor. I'll ride it tomorrow and tell you what I find.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:18 PM

OK, great. It was a bike I had considered except there was no dealing on the MSRP.
Honda is into weight centralization so it feels almost weightless to me underway.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
OK, great. It was a bike I had considered except there was no dealing on the MSRP.
Honda is into weight centralization so it feels almost weightless to me underway.
YUP, they have them marked up in my area above the MSRP because they can.

Mountain riding in this area the smaller bikes sell very well around here. They can't keep them on the floor.

The reason I could not do the test ride today, because they are going to assemble one today, they sold the other one this morning that they put together yesterday. That's how it is out here. No dealing on this bike, just out of the question, and no leftovers. The dealers literally buy them from other dealerships out of this area to get them up here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page