2016 CBR500R vs CBR650F - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 PM
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I was looking at the 650F today and whilst it's a great looking bike, I can't understand the logic in riding a restricted bike?
In AU, there are 2 versions. 650FL (L=Learners=restricted throttle).
I hope Honda will give it a thorough update in 2018. Fix all the gripes, loose some weight, louder exhaust, looks from the new 250RR, lower seat height, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront View Post
Rode a 650 today for the first time, after having my 500 for about 2.5 years. Not impressed. Power difference was barely noticeable, harder to get off the line and seemed to have much less torque down low. The engine is very different, but even at 7k RPM it sounds like it's stressing; vibrations through the chassis etc. I found neutral harder to find. Not difficult, but certainly required conscious effort. Plus the lack of a gear indicator was still a pain in the ass as much as it is in the 500.

I guess after riding the 500 for a couple of years and feeling it wasn't smooth as butter, I can now appreciate that it is. Basically, if I was offered the 650 for the same price as the 500, I'd still take the 500.
I just traded my CBR500R for a brand-new CBR650F last week. My experience has been literally the diametric opposite of yours. The 650 makes nearly double the horsepower. And while you do have to spin the engine up a bit to get to that power, the power is there and the difference is profound. And the bike makes this power eagerly, without any hint of strain. The difference in acceleration between the two bikes is like night and day. The tranny is butter smooth, including finding neutral. The engine does have a little buzz, particularly within certain RPM ranges, but it's hardly bothersome, and I anticipate it'll diminish as the bike breaks in.

I absolutely loved my 500, but for me, the 650 has been an upgrade in every way imaginable.

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I was looking at the 650F today and whilst it's a great looking bike, I can't understand the logic in riding a restricted bike? I also don't like the headlights.

Could I just the price premium? Probably not.

I'm just going to wait until I'm allowed to ride a 600/1000RR.
What do you mean allowed? Some type of license restrictions over there?

DO those restricted lic. situations save lives, have that been proven or is that just another bureaucratic waste of time and money, along with intrusion into life and liberty by the disrupters.
Ben likes this.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:18 PM
eds

Like EU (Europe), AU (Australia, the main states) are nanny states in comparison to US.

There is Learner licence, followed by a couple/few years of Probation/Restricted licence before Full licence.
In order to sell bigger bikes to Restricted licence riders (the main market for some models), a special 'restricted model' is imported with power cut (but not torque).

The 650F/R is now only available in 'restricted model' (with around the same power as 500). Same for the new 2017 Ninja 650.
Great for Restricted licence riders, sucks for the rest since the normal (full power) model is not imported/sold.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds View Post
Like EU (Europe), AU (Australia, the main states) are nanny states in comparison to US.

There is Learner licence, followed by a couple/few years of Probation/Restricted licence before Full licence.
In order to sell bigger bikes to Restricted licence riders (the main market for some models), a special 'restricted model' is imported with power cut (but not torque).

The 650F/R is now only available in 'restricted model' (with around the same power as 500). Same for the new 2017 Ninja 650.
Great for Restricted licence riders, sucks for the rest since the normal (full power) model is not imported/sold.
Agree. In Au a few years ago the 650r was full power. I nearly bought one but the dealer was an ass about test rides. Now, seem to only be able to get a restricted (for learners) 650f new. Does not make sense as may as well get the 500 which was purpose built for the learners market (has max hp / power weight ratio for learners). I might be wrong, only going off the stock on dealer floors and what a sales guy told me.

I was one of those who had a full licence but chose the 500 anyway. I don't regret it. But I'm also one of those who's always looking for the next bike.

I currently like the honda 919 hornet.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Garage
So have they done any study to show if the restricted license make any difference or not? Hope the US politicians don't get wind of this one. YIKES.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page