2016 CBR500R vs CBR650F - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:05 AM

Garage
Congrats and keep us updated how's your ride going on so far.

wheelin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Latest report. The CBR 650F brings smile n my face, whenever I ride it. The weight doesn't bother me at all, despite my skepticism at first. It doesn't feel top heavy. . Brakes and gear change is smooth, with "neutral" easily shifted to. All in all, a fairly easy bike to get accustomed to. I put a Moriwaki full exhaust on it, and don't feel any low end power loss. power progression is smooth and linear. What I like most about the new exhaust system is that it's as quiet as the stock exhaust. I like to keep neighbours happy. I didn't replace the exhaust for looks or power gain, nor for the sound it makes, but for shedding weight.

The only complaint I have about CBR 650F is that it runs very hot. I haven't ridden it to 1,000km for its first check up, and hope that it will run a lot cooler after first oil change and tune-up.

Again, thanks to all you guys for your hospitality.
Karl Hungus and sashsania like this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM

Garage
I just purchased a CB500F, I just like the MPG and the price for what you get. No need for 100 plus HP bikes for me. Probably just keep this for many years.

Only limitation I have found with the 500 is climbing up hill out here in the Sierra mountains. The 500 is limited pulling steep grades, I end up going down a couple gears and it can run out of throttle. On the other hand my Bonneville which is about 66 HP can climb grades easily. I'm sure the 650F can climb easily up to altitude on grades. I don't think the weight difference would be that noticeable.

Last edited by sonicboom; 06-13-2016 at 09:14 AM.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Garage
I cannot enlighten you as I am not riding a CBR500R, but, my CB500XA does everything that I have needed from it and is definitely more comfortable touring than my NX250 was.

Picture from a 3200 mile trip last summer (it pulled the Utah mountain grades with no difficulty):

Owlman, wheelin, Jamco and 1 others like this.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Nice picture! Your bike looks right at home.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:33 AM

Garage
Got a trip plan with the 500 from California to Utah, MOAB area in July. Did the trip last year with the my Bonneville. Just want to see how it is to tour with this 500. One good thing so far is that the 500 have longer legs with the fill ups. Good to hear that someone did OK with those grades. I've run up to Tahoe on 50 and it did fine. I'm surprised at how good this bike can do on the freeway. I had some second thoughts after buying the bike and thought maybe I should have gone with the 650 but so far this 500's taking care of business with great MPG to boot. The fuel economy almost Vespa like. Amazing they can get a 500 cc bike to get this type MPG.....YIKES. I've been getting anything from 63 to 72 MPG. From what I've heard the 650's can only get 40ish mpg? iS THAT ABOUT RIGHT FOR THOSE BIKES?
wheelin likes this.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 PM

I looked at a new 2016 CBR650F in black at a local Honda dealer recently.

Beautiful bike and a good value if you are looking for sport bike performance in a more comfortable package.

I bought a CB500F because it is all the bike I need right now, but the 650 is a great bike.

Cheers,

Snade
wheelin likes this.

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

car - - - > 2015 BMW 335i

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Rode a 650 today for the first time, after having my 500 for about 2.5 years. Not impressed. Power difference was barely noticeable, harder to get off the line and seemed to have much less torque down low. The engine is very different, but even at 7k RPM it sounds like it's stressing; vibrations through the chassis etc. I found neutral harder to find. Not difficult, but certainly required conscious effort. Plus the lack of a gear indicator was still a pain in the ass as much as it is in the 500.

I guess after riding the 500 for a couple of years and feeling it wasn't smooth as butter, I can now appreciate that it is. Basically, if I was offered the 650 for the same price as the 500, I'd still take the 500.

2014 CBR500RA (Red)
1988 CBR250R (Black&Yellow) (Sold)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Garage
One thing I've noticed about this 500 being a multi motorcycle owner and having owned over 35 motorcycles.

Other bikes don't stack up very well against this 500 for many reasons.

If this a first bike for some folks, they are going to find out fast when they up grade to a bigger more powerful bike. A few things they are going to miss will be the smooth delivery, fuel economics, and drivability weight factors.

It's just almost (for me anyway) the perfect bike, and me saying that says a great deal, having owned so many motorcycles.

As far as the power curve limit, you just got to work with that a little keeping the RPM's up in some situations. If this bike could give me another 15 HP it would be perfect all around. But then the MPG would suffer along with the smooth motor maybe.
Louisianimal likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Ben

I was looking at the 650F today and whilst it's a great looking bike, I can't understand the logic in riding a restricted bike? I also don't like the headlights.

Could I just the price premium? Probably not.

I'm just going to wait until I'm allowed to ride a 600/1000RR.
Nemo1966 likes this.

2016 CBR500RA MATTE BLACK

Last edited by Ben; 10-29-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page